The PENON official thread
Apr 5, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #8,266 of 13,708
Apr 5, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #8,267 of 13,708
Penon agreed to send me a replacement Fan cable if I cut the old one into pieces... those sadists.

lol I had the same experience with another seller on AliExpress or eBay I can't remember. I thought he was just really pissed I requested to return a defective cable and just made up some hoops for me to jump through, is it actually some kinda policy?

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #8,268 of 13,708
lol I had the same experience with another seller on AliExpress or eBay I can't remember. I thought he was just really pissed I requested to return a defective cable and just made up some hoops for me to jump through, is it actually some kinda policy?
No idea. I mean, it makes total sense... I prefer this over the, "prove the cable and all your gear isn't defective before I replace it."

Apr 5, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #8,270 of 13,708
Wow thanks for the answer and the time you took to be so specific, that was really helpful! 🙌🔥😃 I Almost bought the Glove for few weeks back, but now I'd rather go for Est50 or maybe for the new surprise hybrid from Penon if they release any... 🤟🤟

Anniversary my friends. Be on the look out.

Dsnuts is by far the best authority on Penon products in the world!

Oh I dont know about that. I have always liked underdog companies that come up with real value, that was the basis for the discovery thread and still is. I think Penon now has enough of a following that cleary has its fans. I am lucky to have Penon trust in my evaluations of thier products. I feel once you get a Penon item be it an IEM or a cable. You all can figure out how good the products are. Don't need me to tell you how good an item is. It is almost automatic with anything they make it seems.

I come from owning 100s of other vendor products that promise a lot and end up delivering not as much. It is refreshing to see Penon bring out what its audience wants and clearly delivers. I suppose I have been a part of Penons growth and I consider it a honor to be able to review and evaluate their products for them. All you have to do is own a few of their products to know what Penon is all about. No expert here. Just a fan of their stuff, just like you guys. Of course I am always around to help out and we got our own thread regulars that contribute constantly that I appreciate. You know who you are.

In the end no one can tell you how you hear a sound from your own IEMs and while all the reviews and impressions we see can help stir in the right direction of a sound, but beyond that, if you see a dedicated thread of constant contributors and folks chiming in all the time with IEMS from the maker. There must be something to it.

Love the Penon house sound and a company with clear direction. Can't say that about a lot of folks I have delt with in the past.

Again did I mention Penon 10 year Anniversary is coming up? :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #8,271 of 13,708
Can you gents put some perspective on the cable comments and just how much difference you believe they make to the sound of the Penon, Fan 2 in my case.

I mean, perhaps assign a percentage value to the change for example. Something to give a sense of the actual difference. A tiny subtlety that I don’t even notice might be hugely important to you despite that in reality it is still subtle.

Some comments read like the difference is genuinely profound and anybody would clearly hear the change, I have my doubts that is what you actually mean.

I ask because I have a bunch of different cables from various sources and to me they make no discernible difference to the sound yet many of you here talk about cable rolling to tune the sound like the effects are really very obvious indeed.

What am I missing ?

For context I hear very little to no difference in sound between DACs and amplifiers either, is it I am simply somewhat insensitive to this stuff ?

Apr 5, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #8,273 of 13,708
Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #8,275 of 13,708
For context I hear very little to no difference in sound between DACs and amplifiers either, is it I am simply somewhat insensitive to this stuff ?

All the chip based sub $1000 DACs sound pretty much the same to me. The Ares II was the first DAC where I was like, wow, this sounds totally different.

Apr 5, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #8,277 of 13,708
Can you gents put some perspective on the cable comments and just how much difference you believe they make to the sound of the Penon, Fan 2 in my case.

I mean, perhaps assign a percentage value to the change for example. Something to give a sense of the actual difference. A tiny subtlety that I don’t even notice might be hugely important to you despite that in reality it is still subtle.

Some comments read like the difference is genuinely profound and anybody would clearly hear the change, I have my doubts that is what you actually mean.

I ask because I have a bunch of different cables from various sources and to me they make no discernible difference to the sound yet many of you here talk about cable rolling to tune the sound like the effects are really very obvious indeed.

What am I missing ?

I know plenty of enthsiasts that don't percieve much differences when using cables so your not alone on that. I consider it an actual blessing that you don't actually. No need to cable roll like we mentioned if you don't percieve any real sonic differences. However there is a reason why IEM cables/ audio cables are being sold on every audio site, now more than ever.

Cables dont drastically change a base sound of an IEM but does help to highlight certain aspects of the base sound of the IEM. Of course what I am talking about is not really scientific. It is based on how I hear the effects of different materials used for the cable.

Cables can and does help make our favorite IEMs sound even better or worse in certain cases. The right cable match up can change how we percieve the best aspects of that sound.

For example an overly warm IEM meaning if you have an overly L shaped IEM like the Shozy B2 for example. That IEM is tuned with more lower mids and mid bass than upper mids and treble so it is clearly an L tuned IEM. With the wrong cable this IEM can go from sounding overly dark, even murky syrupy even to something with some balance and natural in tonality with the help of a pure silver cable. Penon ended up matching a pure silver type cable that helps brighten the tonality in the ISN SC4.

If you want to actually hear a difference in what cables do. This is the best example of how a cable can change the perception and tonality of an IEM. Using the Shozy B2 with a pure copper type cable and it will sound nothing like what the silver cabled version of the B2 or the SCB2 sounds like. They sound like completely different IEMs actually.

That is an extreme example but for most IEMs utilizing either a pure copper or pure silver type cables can enhance or not emphasize certain regions of the sound they are attached to. The sound difference is maybe up to 5% different than what the base sound actually is. 95% of the base sound for most IEMs do not change but that 5% enhancement can change a tonal character, highlight treble more which has an added effect of enhancing stage, highlight mids for better vocals more or highlight bass a bit more. If you measure an IEM before and after the cable change. The IEM will measure the same. There is no evidence that is what is happening but if you actually listen to these aspects before and after the cable change.

Yes there is a difference. Most included IEM cables are not great. While some are better than others, most IEM manufacturers include cables that are not the best quality. Most are guilty of throwing in whatever cheap IEM cable they have included with an IEM. As long as it helps the IEM make sound. I can tell because when I put on a nicer cable there is clear sound difference for me. The same IEM will sound more spacious, more dynamic, more rich, more detailed, sometimes more brighter or darker. It will again depend on the material used for the cable make up. I dont blame a lot of the manufacturers however as in the competitive IEM market they have to make their margins so the throw in cable is more common than not. Even with higher end IEMs.

I would say if you can't perceieve any differences between sources as well, heck consider yourself blessed. Just get yourself a decent player and if it sounds good to you. Your done with. Stick with the cables the IEMS comes with no reason to upgrade anything. Only look into cables for aesthetic purposes.

Hi.Are there any penon distributors in Europe?
Been trying to find one but without success.

Penon will ship it to you with no issues. Email Penon as they can change pricing I believe if import duties are bad for you

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #8,278 of 13,708
Cables generally come in 2 types: neutral and coloured. Neither is advertised like that, but it makes it easier to talk about them.

Neutral cables try to affect the sound as little as possible, letting the music come through as it was recorded. Coloured cables add some character that deliberately changes the sound.

Certain high end cables do a good job of being really neutral, but a lot more come close enough: The Penon OS133, NiceHCK C24 series and many, many more.

Then there are the cables designed to alter sound. The new Penon Vocal is meant to boost vocal performance, manynpire silve cables boost highs, the NiceHCK SuperBlue gives a small boost to lows.

The differences are usually not huge, maybe 10% of the overall tone, but they are there. When listening to a song you know welll with IEMs you are familiar with, it should be clear. And if not, you will save yourself time and money chasing just the right cable!

The same is also true of sources, DAPs DACs etc. Some are crisp and precise, some warms and analogue, others compressed with an narrow dynamic range, and so on. Again this is usually a small part of the overall tone, but still audible.

All the talk of playing around with cables, tips, adaptors, sources, filters, etc is just trying to find a sound we love. Many of us enjoy playing around with what we hear as much as the music - that’s almost the definition of an audiophile.

Ultimately if you are happy with the heat in front of you, you have succeeded. Whether it’s a $10 earbud into your phone or thousands of dollars in custom gear, if you are happily enjoying it then all is well.

Apr 5, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #8,279 of 13,708
My friend brought his Hakugei Healer cable to CanJam and just about everything we tried benefitted from it, U18T, FiR Xenon 6, Mentor. Some more than others, but it was a clear difference in every case.

I have no doubt that some cables can make a huge difference, it's just a matter of buying different cables to find the one that's best for me.

Apr 5, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #8,280 of 13,708
Is there anything known about the (10th anniversary) sale which should take place in April already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back