The PENON official thread
Apr 1, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #8,146 of 13,669
This is really fascinating! For me, I found that deeper insertion helped with the Serial and Fan 2 - it just goes to show what a big part individual ear anatomy plays in finding out what works best for us. At any rate, I’m glad you found a way to get along with the Fan 2.

The Fan 2 still goes in deep with those tips but the short and fatter tips mean that even if I push them in as far as is physically possible they are still in the first part of my ear canal.

With normal length tips like say the KBear 07 the slight extra length of the tip along with the more tapered shape meant I could actually feel them hit the end of the first part of my ear canal and if I listened to them as I inserted them the sound changed as soon as they bottomed out.

An unusual situation but an interesting learning experience and I am pleased that the Fan 2 now warrant a place in my modest collection.

Apr 1, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #8,147 of 13,669
Tried the Penon Orange tip with Serial, the mid is brought forward slightly and more clarity, it is great on vocal. I feel it tames some of the unwanted treble peak but not as airy as the Spinfit W1 which has a lighter note. The W1 is longer for the same small tip, which gives a deeper insert. the Orange tip is soft with a firm bore.

FC2DAFA7-5FBB-4DCD-B362-1DD1C930BB9F.jpeg

Apr 1, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #8,148 of 13,669
So I bought the Fan new and it's really enjoyable. But the included stock cable cuts out on me, and I have to rotate the connector to get it to play in both ears. Two different sources and no issues with my own 2 pin cable.

I've messaged @Penon on AliExpress and hopefully they don't make me ship the entire set back just to get a proper replacement cable.

Apr 1, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #8,149 of 13,669
I usually burn it in for a week, and also listen to it at the same time. No need waiting to enjoy it.
Then after that I let the burn in get done by usage over time.
I have 3 sets that improved very much with burn in:

Penon Serial more refined and in control over time.

ISN EST50 bass here improved very much, at first I did find it to much in amount and not in control.

Last is a earbud I am burning in now, VE ZEN 3.0 at first it sounded very good but were to bright for me.
Bass is tighter now and treble is smoother but treble still have some bite but more to my preference.
I see. I do that as well, I take a peek of its sound changes after every 100 hrs to enjoy it. Serial already sounds good out of the box. I already guessed that it'll end up better control and refinement on both ends.
Past 200 hours, there's refinement overall. The analogue Serial signature is taking shape...
1680342344460.jpeg
So which cable synergizes very well with Serial aside from Totem? I read Leo Plus and Space.

Apr 1, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #8,150 of 13,669
Look what just arrived in da house for the weekend :heart_eyes:

penon_serial_02.jpg

Apr 1, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #8,151 of 13,669
I see. I do that as well, I take a peek of its sound changes after every 100 hrs to enjoy it. Serial already sounds good out of the box. I already guessed that it'll end up better control and refinement on both ends.

So which cable synergizes very well with Serial aside from Totem? I read Leo Plus and Space.
A Plussound Copper Exo 6 or 8 cable is a fantastic sparring partner too.

8FD5FB03-F78C-4DAA-9E69-0D2DE68D2E81.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #8,152 of 13,669

So which cable synergizes very well with Serial aside from Totem? I read Leo Plus
The un-silver silver gives off more details the Serials can give. Will not sound thin, will retain its lush neutral taste. It's still analogue in flavour, but a more expensive stylus upgraded sound
and Space.
Aside from enlarging the Venue, this set gives out Flagship level holographic imaging - Fantastic stage depth in any price range, and surprisingly. the better, bigger bass. The details are better on the Leo plus though.

As you might have guessed, the Totem brings out both in a single package
IMG_E3300.JPG

Apr 1, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #8,153 of 13,669
I'm almost done burning my Volt to 500 hours, I can't wait to try it. Too bad that I'm unable to burn the Serial along with it since my first unit is damaged with its right driver distorting and cracking. Penon's customer support is top notch indeed. They sent the replacement right away after I sent back the item with the return tracking. I just got it today and no more cracking and distorted sound! I’m hoping that there would be no issue in the next few days of observation.

Since this is a triple DD, should I burn it more than 200 hours? Probably 300 hours? I guess I’ll add it as well on top of Volt’s 500 hours burn in time. lol

Penon.jpg

I’m quite sure you can start enjoying your Volt already. I know I continued observing changes in my Volt long after I stopped counting at about 250 hours - hence the 500 hour estimate - but I’d never have the patience to burn it in that long before doing serious listening! I always just start listening straight out of the box and leave it on the burner in between sessions if I feel like it needs it. Some of my IEMs were even burnt in on ear time only, like the Vortex and Impact.

I usually burn it in for a week, and also listen to it at the same time. No need waiting to enjoy it.
Then after that I let the burn in get done by usage over time.
I have 3 sets that improved very much with burn in:

Penon Serial more refined and in control over time.

ISN EST50 bass here improved very much, at first I did find it to much in amount and not in control.

Last is a earbud I am burning in now, VE ZEN 3.0 at first it sounded very good but were to bright for me.
Bass is tighter now and treble is smoother but treble still have some bite but more to my preference.

Agree with the first two, in addition to Volt. (Sadly I didn’t jive with the Zen 3.0’s tuning so it has gone to another headfier who I trust is enjoying it more than I did.)

So I bought the Fan new and it's really enjoyable. But the included stock cable cuts out on me, and I have to rotate the connector to get it to play in both ears. Two different sources and no issues with my own 2 pin cable.

I've messaged @Penon on AliExpress and hopefully they don't make me ship the entire set back just to get a proper replacement cable.

I should think not. That’s what removable cables are for… at any rate I did not have to send my Impact back to get the cable replaced. But let’s see what they tell you.

Separately… I think Penon are doing the Fan a bit of an injustice by not offering a balanced cable option (unless that has changed). The Fan shines with more power and really benefits from a balanced connection. So do try it with any balanced cables in your collection while you wait - you might never want to go back anyway.

Look what just arrived in da house for the weekend :heart_eyes:

penon_serial_02.jpg

Enjoy! Be sure to give it a whirl on that N8ii. It’s practically a different beast on the N7 as it is.

Apr 1, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #8,154 of 13,669
Agree with the first two, in addition to Volt. (Sadly I didn’t jive with the Zen 3.0’s tuning so it has gone to another headfier who I trust is enjoying it more than I did.)
They sound very far off from the Penon sound, I have found they are really good with acoustic music and jazz. If I would have bought it myself not sure, maybe. I love IEMs to much and also have very good headphones. Still its fun to get some of the headphone sound in such a small form factor,

My whole VE pack is a gift to try and spread awareness in Norway for their earbuds. The IEM from VE SIE is probably more interesting, but that I don't have before some weeks. A friend called it a baby Penon Serial, lets see if they can stand up to my precious Serial :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #8,155 of 13,669
They sound very far off from the Penon sound, I have found they are really good with acoustic music and jazz. If I would have bought it myself not sure, maybe. I love IEMs to much and also have very good headphones. Still its fun to get some of the headphone sound in such a small form factor,

Agree they do acoustic instruments well but the treble just didn’t work for me. Perhaps it had to do with the fit. Or perhaps I’m just spoiled by my IEMs now. I do like a lot of their stuff though - in addition to the Vita cable that I keep raving about because of its synergy with Vortex, I was also a longtime fan of their Asura buds (still have 2.0, AOE, APW and 3.0).

The IEM from VE SIE is probably more interesting, but that I don't have before some weeks. A friend called it a baby Penon Serial, lets see if they can stand up to my precious Serial :beyersmile:

Well, I kept that one. It’s good for the price, but Serial is head and shoulders above it, if you ask me :wink:

Apr 1, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #8,156 of 13,669
I was also a longtime fan of their Asura buds (still have 2.0, AOE, APW and 3.0).
Maybe wrong thread to ask in, but how was the Asura? less bright. That's the downside on ZEN 3.0 for me, tube amp + my Schiit Lokius removes the problem :relaxed:

I have been tempted for a while to get another Serial to have at work in my car IEM bag. Just hard justifying another. 300$ is a very good deal on such a high performing and specialized IEM as Serial is.

Apr 1, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #8,157 of 13,669
Penon Mix and ISN Solar cables are great pairings.

I love my Wagnus cables so thats what I have. Olvarium Copper cable.
20230207_201918.jpg

Maybe wrong thread to ask in, but how was the Asura? less bright. That's the downside on ZEN 3.0 for me, tube amp + my Schiit Lokius removes the problem :relaxed:

I have been tempted for a while to get another Serial to have at work in my car IEM bag. Just hard justifying another. 300$ is a very good deal on such a high performing and specialized IEM as Serial is.
Asura are more tuned for highs just like Zens are for the mids.

Apr 1, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #8,158 of 13,669

Just hiding the off-topic bits to save the others from having to scroll past…:

Nothing I’d read about Z3.0 previously pointed to any brightness and I don’t recall it having that much upper treble presence but yes it was bright with higher register instruments (like the higher octaves on the piano) or when singers really go for it.

A3.0 on the other hand is very very balanced to my ears - less forward mids and warmer bass than all the previous Asuras I’ve heard, and very even-handed treble tuning. Natural timbre and no untoward peaks, harshness or sibilance yet plenty of air and detail. Big, spacious staging. Listening to them on the N7 now, which only reconfirms my impressions.

My sole argument against it would be that I’d never get any work done if I had the Serial with me… but I hear you, and if it’s another Serial that you want, I can’t think of a way around it. I truly believe Penon have created a unique product there - I don’t know of anything else that’s quite like it and certainly not in that price range.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back