The PENON official thread
Mar 22, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #8,056 of 13,693
ufff... I thought that the G4 was the worst design that Penon/ISN had made for a cable... I was wrong :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(with love)
Gold Looks like a matching cable for the Impact. :yum:

From way back, part of @Penon 's impressive cable portfolio.
IMG_E3218.JPG

Mar 22, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #8,057 of 13,693
Gold Looks like a matching cable for the Impact. :yum:

From way back, part of @Penon 's impressive cable portfolio.
Hey! I have it too! A true Penon fan doesn't care about the design if it sounds good, and excels in quality/price ratio. Here are some of the "best designs" I own. :gs1000smile:

photo_2023-03-22_18-46-41.jpg

I have always liked the original Totem or the AG8.

By the way... the GS849 isn't bad on the Impact, but the notes are a bit lacking in weight, and the cymbals sound thin and a bit unreal. Right now testing the stock cable, with the purple plug, and the totem adapter, with good results.

This is sounding fantastic:

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #8,058 of 13,693
Wow, Penon Vortex is a very competent iem. And JC is it small. It disappears in the ears. Using it w a Hulk Pro cable from DUNU.

In terms of sound I'm hearing a very neutral sound sig, w an excellent timbre. It has enough stage, separation and imaging to be more than up to the task w Classical. While gathering impressions i kept thinking it sounds like a baby HD600. Quite happy w this purchase.

Mar 22, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #8,059 of 13,693
Wow, Penon Vortex is a very competent iem. And JC is it small. It disappears in the ears. Using it w a Hulk Pro cable from DUNU.

In terms of sound I'm hearing a very neutral sound sig, w an excellent timbre. It has enough stage, separation and imaging to be more than up to the task w Classical. While gathering impressions i kept thinking it sounds like a baby HD600. Quite happy w this purchase.
Just FYI: There exists a mod that hugely increases the bass on the Vortex. It’s irreversible unless you are very careful. If like me you wish the Vortex had more bass, this is for you. All credit to Ssantan2.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #8,060 of 13,693
Just FYI: There exists a mod that hugely increases the bass on the Vortex. It’s irreversible unless you are very careful. If like me you wish the Vortex had more bass, this is for you. All credit to Ssantan2.

I'm good for now i think. I'm enjoying the balance. I think the Vortex has a very nice bass stock btw

Mar 22, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #8,061 of 13,693
I'm good for now i think. I'm enjoying the balance. I think the Vortex has a very nice bass stock btw
It is certainly good stock, I just try to make sure the minority who prefer excessive bass know that the Vortex has a dark side :D

However you like your Vortex, have fun with it!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #8,062 of 13,693
Interested 😄
225CFEC3-559C-4FDE-A7C4-09C1D25724BB.jpeg

Slightly more detail in this photo. I have to say, I like the flair it has. Probably brighter in real life?

Here is my Penon Space cable review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-space.26320/reviews#review-30429

Here is my ISN Solar cable review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-solar.25111/reviews#review-30408

Here is my Penon Leo Plus review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-leo-plus-iem-cable-from-penon.24270/reviews#review-30398

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #8,063 of 13,693
I have similar conclusions with the orange eartips.
- Improved space height
- Smoothing out the treble (Sibilance reductions)
- Vocals are more present
- Bass increased
- But highlights are the mids especially on the Impact and Serial. It takes the what makes the Impact great, "mids" and makes them even better.

Edit1:
Bass: 4/5
Mids: 5/5
Highs 3.75/5
Vocals: 4.5/5
Stage: 4.25/5

Bass ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mids ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Treble ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Staging ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Build ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Comfort ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ They're really soft!
But despite that softness, they seal very well...
IMG_E3206.JPG

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #8,064 of 13,693
Bass ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mids ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Treble ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Staging ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Build ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Comfort ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ They're really soft!
But despite that softness, they seal very well...
IMG_E3206.JPG
Why I made 5 ⭐ on the treble?
Big & noticeable improvement on the Orbs top end. Other Orb owners know this, the treble is relaxed and to some others, rolled off even. NOT Anymore...
IMG_E3212.JPG

For the staging, most probably using together with the Space, a very noticeable increase in stage depth, aside from the dramatic increase in width & height.
The Orbs already have great width and height. To add more, this is beyond head scratching...
IMG_E3214.JPG

Mar 24, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #8,065 of 13,693
Big & noticeable improvement on the Orbs top end. Other Orb owners know this, the treble is relaxed and to some others, rolled off even. NOT Anymore...
IMG_E3212.JPG

For the staging, most probably using together with the Space, a very noticeable increase in stage depth, aside from the dramatic increase in width & height.
The Orbs already have great width and height. To add more, this is beyond head scratching...
IMG_E3214.JPG

Nice refresher for the venerable Orb! My first love. ❤️ A slippery slope thereafter! :deadhorse:

Just had a blast with -

then pitted it against Globe - that flabby low end still gets me every time despite having more upper extension with an additional driver and crossover, there are more reasons why I favored Orb most times but that’s for another day. :relaxed:

Mar 24, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #8,066 of 13,693

Looking forward to the release of these tips. They look great and the stage expansion and treble/air enhancement won't go a miss on some of my IEMs.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #8,067 of 13,693
Nice refresher for the venerable Orb! My first love. ❤️ A slippery slope thereafter! :deadhorse:

Just had a blast with -

then pitted it against Globe - that flabby low end still gets me every time despite having more upper extension with an additional driver and crossover, there are more reasons why I favored Orb most times but that’s for another day. :relaxed:

Indeed! Even nowadays, they hold out on their own...
80s

Mar 24, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #8,068 of 13,693
Looking forward to the release of these tips. They look great and the stage expansion and treble/air enhancement won't go a miss on some of my IEMs.

Before @Penon 's ear tips, the Xelastecs were my go to. But these, they went further with the sibilance reduction. Treble resolution never diminished, they just shaved off sibilance...

We passed The Sphere, then Orbs, now it;s the Fan og's turn.
Our Fan og, with very decent resolution, we noticed sometimes its "too much resolving" nature, they pick up grit along the way.
Using the space, we get more refinements on the entire frequencies, more clarity...
IMG_E3228.JPG

Mar 24, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #8,069 of 13,693
Before @Penon 's ear tips, the Xelastecs were my go to. But these, they went further with the sibilance reduction. Treble resolution never diminished, they just shaved off sibilance...

We passed The Sphere, then Orbs, now it;s the Fan og's turn.
Our Fan og, with very decent resolution, we noticed sometimes its "too much resolving" nature, they pick up grit along the way.
Using the space, we get more refinements on the entire frequencies, more clarity...

This reminds me of the effect of Softears UC eartips. A smoother sound that doesn't lose detail. Hopefully Penon Clementines will be the more affordable option!

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #8,070 of 13,693
This reminds me of the effect of Softears UC eartips. A smoother sound that doesn't lose detail. Hopefully Penon Clementines will be the more affordable option!
Question about Softears UC eartip: Do they run true to size such that if I am a medium in other tips that would be best size to order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back