The PENON official thread
Mar 15, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #7,906 of 13,736
Honest question here, and Im not trying to start a 15 page debate, but isnt the Impact an all BA set? Do BA's benefit from burn in?? Personally Im a believer of DD, planar and EST burn in, but never knew BA's benefit from this as well...
Yes, but not as long as non transformer / non energised estat receiver drivers. Past 50 - 100 hours the BA receivers start to sound clear. This is consistent with Non Penon BA sets.
Why BA bass receivers will never go out of style? Accuracy, that's one. A ba receiver establishes the virtual sound floor better than dd. Thus if properly implemented is a lot more hi-fi than dd. Compact size - so our shells can afford the smallest possible size.
Why dd will always stay with us? The extension, natural rumble, usually the decay is longer on dd our ears always want to hear.
There's no good or bad about both, just a matter of priorities...

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #7,907 of 13,736
Yes, but not as long as non transformer / non energised estat receiver drivers. Past 50 - 100 hours the BA receivers start to sound clear. This is consistent with Non Penon BA sets.
Why BA bass receivers will never go out of style? Accuracy, that's one. A ba receiver establishes the virtual sound floor better than dd. Thus if properly implemented is a lot more hi-fi than dd. Compact size - so our shells can afford the smallest possible size.
Why dd will always stay with us? The extension, natural rumble, usually the decay is longer on dd our ears always want to hear.
There's no good or bad about both, just a matter of priorities...
That is very interesting… I guess every mechanical/electrical component benefits from burn in. Thanks for the feedback! And thanks to @Redcarmoose for his response earlier. All good information. :)

Mar 15, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #7,908 of 13,736
Btw, has anyone tried the Penon Fan's with a Cirrus DAC? If not, then I highly recommend that you do. The synergy with the Fans and that chipset is nothing short of amazing! Ive been listening to it with my Q7 and although it sounded pretty nice, it didn't fully unleash it's full potential until I tried it with something like the ibasso DC04. Lol. I mean seriously, it sounds even better than the Q7 with the Fans! Synergy is a real thing. Crazyness....

Mar 15, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #7,909 of 13,736
Btw, has anyone tried the Penon Fan's with a Cirrus DAC? If not, then I highly recommend that you do. The synergy with the Fans and that chipset is nothing short of amazing! Ive been listening to it with my Q7 and although it sounded pretty nice, it didn't fully unleash it's full potential until I tried it with something like the ibasso DC04. Lol. I mean seriously, it sounds even better than the Q7 with the Fans! Synergy is a real thing. Crazyness....
The FAN is good on all my gear 😂 sleeper single DD. There is loads of competition so not that many will look at this price bracket for a single DD, but well tuned single DD is nothing to joke about. i know one here on Head-Fi who swears by the VE Grand Duke as one of the best IEMs out there with just one single 6mm driver.

Mar 15, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #7,910 of 13,736
The FAN is good on all my gear 😂 sleeper single DD. There is loads of competition so not that many will look at this price bracket for a single DD, but well tuned single DD is nothing to joke about. i know one here on Head-Fi who swears by the VE Grand Duke as one of the best IEMs out there with just one single 6mm driver.
100% agree that the Fan is a sleeper! Such a good IEM when used with the right gear. 3.5 SE doesn't do it justice. It needs balanced for it to shine.

Mar 15, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #7,911 of 13,736
Daily driver at work 🤩
PXL_20230315_100400579~2.jpg

Mar 15, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #7,912 of 13,736
Mar 15, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #7,913 of 13,736
Not sure if it is coincidence, but my Volt sounds incredible good with QP1R, using the old flagship DAC of Cirrus Logic (CS4398). The synergy is off the charts, better than my M8.

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #7,914 of 13,736
I was lucky enough to listen to the Impact recently and wanted to say a few worlds about it.
My reference point is the Tansio Spark and Sony Z1R. The Sony happens to be my favorite sound signature and I enjoyed the Impact just as much. Impact has a very refined and easy sound signature to hear. No glare at the top like the Spark and a surprisingly adept bass end. I think it has the most amount of bass I’ve heard that’s non-dynamic. It sounded excellent with electronic music just as well as all other genres I listened to. Vocals is what it excels at but seriously nothing sounds bad on this thing. Details coming out on the top end without a hint of fatigue is so well done. Male and female vocals alike sounds realistic and that bass thumps with quality. Makes the Spark sound like dung compared. This one is a good one for those who want to spend the high dollars to get quality sound.

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #7,915 of 13,736
On a whim I bought the Space cable and am now burning it in with a new pair of CA FIBAE 5 and I'm loving it especially on the bass.

I just ordered a Leo Plus and am wondering if anyone has had success with that pairup? This will be my first all silver cable.
And I have just switched to the Leo Plus...wow. Thumbs way the eff up with the CA F5! I'm sure this cable also needs some time as I noticed the Space stabilize at around 30 hours, of course that's me and YMMV.

In any event, I think this is very possibly a perfect matchup. What a beautiful sound and I like the economics much better than the Space.

Mar 16, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #7,916 of 13,736
Penon is planning to release their own ear tips. They want opinions. Link below:

Penon Eartips

FB_IMG_1678692359552.jpg

The New soon to be released Penon ear tips will include size SS
1678944019661.png

I overlooked this and was informed the size ss was in fact included in the Fan og packaging...
IMG_E3102.JPG

Mar 16, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #7,917 of 13,736
Correcti
The New soon to be released Penon ear tips will include size SS
1678944019661.png

I overlooked this and was informed the size ss was in fact included in the Fan og packaging...
IMG_E3102.JPG
Correction:
S, M, L, XL 11mm, 12.5mm, 14mm, 15.5mm

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #7,918 of 13,736
Sounds like my Impact is delayed as Penon have ‘unforeseen issues’. Real shame as they’d promised it’d be shipped in only be a couple of weeks and I thought they’d definitely be with me before I go away on a trip at the end of March. I guess I might need to wait to receive them at some point in April. But we’ll see.

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #7,919 of 13,736
I hope this doesn't comes off as weird, it's a genuine question, but how come the Penon Vortex is so expensive/priced so high? Like, it's a 1DD for 200+$. Don't get me wrong, i'm fine with some other stuffs like Penon Serial or ISN H50's price, but like... The configuration for the price doesn't add up. Its FR is not too dissimilar to the Olina SE or Oxygen or Kato.

Mar 16, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #7,920 of 13,736
I hope this doesn't comes off as weird, it's a genuine question, but how come the Penon Vortex is so expensive/priced so high? Like, it's a 1DD for 200+$. Don't get me wrong, i'm fine with some other stuffs like Penon Serial or ISN H50's price, but like... The configuration for the price doesn't add up. Its FR is not too dissimilar to the Olina SE or Oxygen or Kato.

It was one of the best Christmas in ages, Penon put on sale the Fan og. from usd139, down to usd70. Those were very depressing days (thanks to cvd). Christmas blues faded soon upon release of this magnificent in ear headphone and upon receipt of mine.
1678967297318.png

Two years on, I'm still playing them on regular rotation. Despite having the Volt Totem.
Even @ the current price of usd139, I'd still buy them, blindly.
Given their track record for quality, reliability and after sales service.
We should compare them to other more premium brands, HK or mainland based instead of the usual ones.
They're akin to my fav jeans of all time
1678968012277.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back