The PENON official thread
Mar 13, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #7,891 of 13,721
Well... they will be very very preliminary impressions, and in honeymoon mode, for now always with the stock cable, although I have put the Dunu S&S tips on it.

The first thing I have noticed, as has already been said, is an excellent separation of the instruments and sound layers. In live recordings, you close your eyes and have the feeling of being in the center. I've tried a dozen songs with very eclectic styles, and the tuning doesn't fail, it sounds good with everything. Focused on the mids, and the vocals, as has been said, but without failing on instrumental themes. It reminds me of the tuning of my Yanyin Moonlight, but without making the female voices excessive, and with more detail and an immersive sensation. The soundstage is not small, but it is not wide either. I like it for now, but I'll try other cables. The bass, which I was so afraid of, having never had an IEM with a BA bass, are more than enough for me (I started this path as a basshead - Fiio FH3 - Reecho SG3, and I have been changing to more neutral sounds) They have great texture, maybe a quick decay, but for now it doesn't seem like a problem. I was looking for quality rather than quantity.

Here are some of the tracks I've been listening to, before going to bed. I don't mind saying that... I have shed a tear

I see Tortoise, I hit like! TNT indeed...

Mar 13, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #7,892 of 13,721
Congratulations!

Any chance you can do us a favour? Very keen to hear how the Impacts compare with Traillii using Traillii's stock cable on them. I suspect the 1960s 4 wire contributed quite a bit to Traillii's famously wide stage.
I just got the Impact a few days ago and owned Bird for a long time so these are early thoughts I can update after more time. I need to get used to the Impact and burn-in can change things.

Mids are more forward. Vocals sound great on both but Bird has a touch of classy sweetness that Impact trades for texture and sharper edges.

Resolution sounds on par.

Imaging is outstanding, better than Bird to me, competing with my IER-M9. The way sounds are separated but consititue the whole is enjoyable. This has been my favorite part so far, along with the mids.

Bird is more holographic and sounds dance around your head with a big stage. While the Impact’s stage doesn’t seem as big, the way sounds are separated with the great imaging creates it’s own holographic groove.

Both are dynamic but do it in different ways. Bird has a bigger, fuller sound. I feel the stage compared with the higher bass impact makes it more exciting when not critically listening.

Keep in mind these things I’m hearing are small differences, just ABing trying my best to volume match using Sony WM1ZM2. Stock cables and tips on both.

I am liking what I hear with the Impact. I was prepared to be dissapointed since why would someone get the Impact when they have the Bird, especially knowing how they graph and the driver configuration? Impact connects me to my music in a different way which I enjoy so I’m not disspointed so far. Early days still so I wonder if my thoughts change after more time.

Mar 13, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #7,893 of 13,721
I just got the Impact a few days ago and owned Bird for a long time so these are early thoughts I can update after more time. I need to get used to the Impact and burn-in can change things.

Mids are more forward. Vocals sound great on both but Bird has a touch of classy sweetness that Impact trades for texture and sharper edges.

Imaging is outstanding, better than Bird to me, competing with my IER-M9. The way sounds are separated but consititue the whole is enjoyable. This has been my favorite part so far, along with the mids.

Bird is more holographic and sounds dance around your head with a big stage. While the Impact’s stage doesn’t seem as big, the way sounds are separated with the great imaging creates it’s own holographic groove.

Both are dynamic but do it in different ways. Bird has a bigger, fuller sound. I feel the stage compared with the higher bass impact makes it more exciting when not critically listening.

Keep in mind these things I’m hearing are small differences, just ABing trying my best to volume match using Sony WM1ZM2. Stock cables and tips on both.

I am liking what I hear with the Impact. I was prepared to be dissapointed since why would someone get the Impact when they have the Bird, especially knowing how they graph and the driver configuration? Impact connects me to my music in a different way which I enjoy so I’m not disspointed so far. Early days still so I wonder if my thoughts change after more time.
Thanks for the comparison. I suspect the forward Impact’s forward and smaller stage may be partially due to stock cable differences. still burning in mine and experimenting with stock tips but will try others when I get a time off from work.

anyone has any recommendations for cables as I suspect the copper or silver mix may serve better.

Mar 13, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #7,894 of 13,721

Thank you for those impressions.

Perhaps once your Impacts have burned in more fully you'd be able to test the Impacts with Traillii's stock cable, and test Traillii with Impact's stock cable.

That would help us all determine just how much of what we hear with these IEMs is determined by their respective cables. As a Traillii owner you're in a unique position to perform this experiment and I'm sure many of us will be fascinated to hear your findings.

Mar 14, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #7,895 of 13,721
Regarding the new Penon tips which are in final testing, I suggested Helio or Lava (if orange tips), Aileron or Arc (if black tips).

According to Penon, the pigment will likely affect the sound.

335654161_868628224202641_5604698602934703858_n.jpg

Mar 14, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #7,896 of 13,721

My (very rudimentary) impressions pretty much square with yours. Looking forward to more comparisons when you get to know your Impact better!

I had the opportunity to reacquaint myself with the Bird recently. Unfortunately I couldn’t A/B as I didn’t have my Impact with me at the time (and I was waiting for its replacement cable to arrive anyway), but was already familiar enough with the Impact’s sound by then to notice the differences, at least in broad strokes. A few more observations from the rough notes I took at the time:
  • Bird thicker, fuller in general, bigger note weight
  • Bird bass more body and more generous decay
  • Lower mids very similar
  • Impact more transparent, more detailed
  • Layering, separation clearer on Impact
  • Impact more resolving resulting in crisper air/presence region - this is how it creates excitement especially in live recordings

The first thing I have noticed, as has already been said, is an excellent separation of the instruments and sound layers. In live recordings, you close your eyes and have the feeling of being in the center. I've tried a dozen songs with very eclectic styles, and the tuning doesn't fail, it sounds good with everything. Focused on the mids, and the vocals, as has been said, but without failing on instrumental themes.

Yes! Glad you’re enjoying your Impact. I appreciate its versatility a lot.

It reminds me of the tuning of my Yanyin Moonlight, but without making the female voices excessive, and with more detail and an immersive sensation.

Again, yes, spot on. I wonder if the Moonlight will turn out to be the biggest casualty of my Impact acquisition.

Awesome track selection!

Regarding the new Penon tips which are in final testing, I suggested Helio or Lava (if orange tips), Aileron or Arc (if black tips).

According to Penon, the pigment will likely affect the sound.

Oh what, yet another variable? Are they going to have to release both colours then? :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #7,897 of 13,721
My (very rudimentary) impressions pretty much square with yours. Looking forward to more comparisons when you get to know your Impact better!

I had the opportunity to reacquaint myself with the Bird recently. Unfortunately I couldn’t A/B as I didn’t have my Impact with me at the time (and I was waiting for its replacement cable to arrive anyway), but was already familiar enough with the Impact’s sound by then to notice the differences, at least in broad strokes. A few more observations from the rough notes I took at the time:
  • Impact more resolving resulting in crisper air/presence region - this is how it creates excitement especially in live recordings
You're impressions are pretty much spot on with my own. That's why, IMHO, with the price difference I'd take the Impact every time. With tip/cable rolling you can add small amount of body and note weight to it and still save yourself 1/3rd of the money.

It's not a Trailii but you can take 1/3rd you save and get yourself a Serial too which complements the Impact.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #7,898 of 13,721
Perhaps once your Impacts have burned in more fully you'd be able to test the Impacts with Traillii's stock cable, and test Traillii with Impact's stock cable.
Honest question here, and Im not trying to start a 15 page debate, but isnt the Impact an all BA set? Do BA's benefit from burn in?? Personally Im a believer of DD, planar and EST burn in, but never knew BA's benefit from this as well...

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #7,900 of 13,721
Mar 14, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #7,901 of 13,721
Honest question here, and Im not trying to start a 15 page debate, but isnt the Impact an all BA set? Do BA's benefit from burn in?? Personally Im a believer of DD, planar and EST burn in, but never knew BA's benefit from this as well...
Some people hear a profound change, others not so much on any IEM. True there is less noted with BA sets, but EST drivers totally need burn-n. There is folklore which states that the electronic components in the crossover are affected by burn-in as well as the actual cables inside the IEM. Cables often have different amounts of burn-in needed depending on materials used. All this comes down to simply going with personal experience. Such experience is often built by prior trials which showed change. Obviously part of that change is brain-burn-in. Yet that doesn’t go to address what many differences there are in the sound. Especially if the IEM is only tested for a second or two throughout a regular 7 day process.

It’s best simply to let people go with whatever they want and suggest that at least many notice improvement, even if that change is small. And let others show (offer) surprise when burn-in results in dramatic improvement! This is simply a hobby anyway, with topics such as the great cable debate, or its brother, the great burn-in debate......being something that people should find fun. Though keep in mind, many manufacturers are strict about burn-in, being something really mandatory to hear their products as intended.

With all that said, one of my all BA sets changed when burned-in for over 1000 hours! These changes may in fact be a combination of both physical burn-in and brain burn-in?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #7,902 of 13,721
I'll trade you my answer for your Serial.

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #7,903 of 13,721
Mar 14, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #7,904 of 13,721
Thank you for those impressions.

That would help us all determine just how much of what we hear with these IEMs is determined by their respective cables. As a Traillii owner you're in a unique position to perform this experiment and I'm sure many of us will be fascinated to hear your findings.
I misinterpreted what you were asking. I see what you want to know now and makes sense. I’m traveling but after I get back and spend more time with the Impact I’ll swap cables.
Thanks for the comparison. I suspect the forward Impact’s forward and smaller stage may be partially due to stock cable differences. still burning in mine and experimenting with stock tips but will try others when I get a time off from work.

anyone has any recommendations for cables as I suspect the copper or silver mix may serve better.
You could be right. I have some cables and if I come to any conclusions I’ll share. Still want to give the Impact more time to burn in and acclimate to its sound.

Yes! Glad you’re enjoying your Impact. I appreciate its versatility a lot.

Again, yes, spot on. I wonder if the Moonlight will turn out to be the biggest casualty of my Impact acquisition.

Awesome track selection!

Oh what, yet another variable? Are they going to have to release both colours then? :beyersmile:
Yes, we are hearing the same between the Bird. I didn’t say it yet but I also felt the Impact came across with more detail but I’m holding off on that until I get more time with it. Impact might be more like precise solid state vs the Bird is hybrid-tube. Not exactly the best analogy but along those lines.

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #7,905 of 13,721

more holographic and sounds dance around your head with a big stage. While the Impact’s stage doesn’t seem as big, the way sounds are separated with the great imaging creates it’s own holographic groove.

Folks that have been in this thread for a while will know by now what Penon is guilty of - Power. Craves power. You give, it'll sing, anytime, any day, everyday.
For portables. a similar spec as DX312 will do it. Then you'll get that BIG holographic Sound field.
IMG_20210611_170501.jpg

Image on the right is an HD800s or the Volt (800s stage is way higher) powered by the WA6, whilst on the left - a pair of Penons straight to phone...
sss.png

the image CTTO, is not mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back