The PENON official thread
Mar 13, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #7,876 of 13,721
What is the consensus on tips for the Serial? I tried my Final E tips on the Fan 2 and they sounded hollow. Had to use wide bore and the only ones I had were from LETSHUOER.
I've been using Canal Works Nikukyuu (CWU-GECM).
Its a narrow bore with gel infused on the inside
What do these free items look like from Penon? The case, tips, cable, etc.?
I got cases, eartips, amp/dac and a 4.4mm Totem adapter 😀

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #7,877 of 13,721
Penon is planning to release their own ear tips. They want opinions. Link below:

Penon Eartips

FB_IMG_1678692359552.jpg

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #7,878 of 13,721
Mar 13, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #7,879 of 13,721
Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #7,880 of 13,721
So after 30 hours of burning, Volt's bass seems to show better now. It's still lacking for my taste, but hopefully it'll improve more. I'm hoping it'll grow into full dynamic bass, it still sounded a BA bass to me.

I'm baffled how Penon did this, it's incredibly coherent. It doesn't sound like a tribrid but blend in unison like a single driver. To be fair though, it is my first Tri-brid and with EST at that. Not sure if it's common that most high end/totl tri-brid/EST is as coherent as this, especially known and big brands. My old FLC08 has a subtle incoherency, while in IT07 I can hear the separation of BA and DD and doesn't meld in unison, but they work together very nicely. I guess perfectly incoherent? lol

Mar 13, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #7,881 of 13,721
So after 30 hours of burning, Volt's bass seems to show better now. It's still lacking for my taste, but hopefully it'll improve more. I'm hoping it'll grow into full dynamic bass, it still sounded a BA bass to me.
1678718166466.png

Imagine how many play times I already got.
After the 500 hour mark, the Volts turn into a reference level set.
If you'll play choral, strings or a big chambre - Sweet mids and subtle lower treble, low level details can be had.
Grunge, will be grunge.
EDM, bass will be pumping out
Vocal, get ready to be mesmerized.
Depending on your source, the level of Fluidity will vary much. The Mids will be, will always be the star of every show.

I'm baffled how Penon did this, it's incredibly coherent.
Check out the marching percussion work from the intro, intermittently repeating itself on the entire track.
How it starts from the middle centre moving further down and away on the holographic sound field.
1678718580398.png

Did your jaw drop already? lol.
If not yet, your not thru with the weathering (burn in)
while in IT07 I can hear the separation of BA and DD and doesn't meld in unison, but they work together very nicely. I guess perfectly incoherent? lol
IT07 is a great set by itself. The Volts are something else, way more something else...

Attachments

• 1678718566058.png
    1678718566058.png
    320.5 KB · Views: 0
Mar 13, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #7,882 of 13,721
1678718166466.png
If you'll play choral, strings or a big chambre - Sweet mids and subtle lower treble, low level details can be had.
Grunge, will be grunge.
Depending on your source, the level of Fluidity will vary much. The Mids will be, will always be the star of every show.

Check out the marching percussion work from the intro, intermittently repeating itself on the entire track.
How it starts from the middle centre moving further down and away on the holographic sound field.
1678718580398.png

IT07 is a great set by itself. The Volts are something else, way more something else...
500 hours burn-in, for the win!

Mar 13, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #7,884 of 13,721
1678718166466.png
Grunge, will be grunge.

1678718580398.png

470 hours remaining. My Serial will arrive by then. Good thing I bought an audio splitter. lol

I always like drastic transformation of sound from out of the box and after 200-300 hours. This is my first 500 hours burning time and I'm quite excited for the final results.

Mar 13, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #7,885 of 13,721
Finally arrived! :beyersmile:

photo_2023-03-13_21-36-33.jpg

Mar 13, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #7,886 of 13,721
Mar 13, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #7,887 of 13,721
Impacts in. Not too shabby
Congratulations!

Any chance you can do us a favour? Very keen to hear how the Impacts compare with Traillii using Traillii's stock cable on them. I suspect the 1960s 4 wire contributed quite a bit to Traillii's famously wide stage.

Mar 13, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #7,889 of 13,721
🤘🥳🤩! Very early impressions of yours?
Well... they will be very very preliminary impressions, and in honeymoon mode, for now always with the stock cable, although I have put the Dunu S&S tips on it.

The first thing I have noticed, as has already been said, is an excellent separation of the instruments and sound layers. In live recordings, you close your eyes and have the feeling of being in the center. I've tried a dozen songs with very eclectic styles, and the tuning doesn't fail, it sounds good with everything. Focused on the mids, and the vocals, as has been said, but without failing on instrumental themes. It reminds me of the tuning of my Yanyin Moonlight, but without making the female voices excessive, and with more detail and an immersive sensation. The soundstage is not small, but it is not wide either. I like it for now, but I'll try other cables. The bass, which I was so afraid of, having never had an IEM with a BA bass, are more than enough for me (I started this path as a basshead - Fiio FH3 - Reecho SG3, and I have been changing to more neutral sounds) They have great texture, maybe a quick decay, but for now it doesn't seem like a problem. I was looking for quality rather than quantity.

Here are some of the tracks I've been listening to, before going to bed. I don't mind saying that... I have shed a tear

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #7,890 of 13,721
Well... they will be very very preliminary impressions, and in honeymoon mode, for now always with the stock cable, although I have put the Dunu S&S tips on it.

The first thing I have noticed, as has already been said, is an excellent separation of the instruments and sound layers. In live recordings, you close your eyes and have the feeling of being in the center. I've tried a dozen songs with very eclectic styles, and the tuning doesn't fail, it sounds good with everything. Focused on the mids, and the vocals, as has been said, but without failing on instrumental themes. It reminds me of the tuning of my Yanyin Moonlight, but without making the female voices excessive, and with more detail and an immersive sensation. The soundstage is not small, but it is not wide either. I like it for now, but I'll try other cables. The bass, which I was so afraid of, having never had an IEM with a BA bass, are more than enough for me (I started this path as a basshead - Fiio FH3 - Reecho SG3, and I have been changing to more neutral sounds) They have great texture, maybe a quick decay, but for now it doesn't seem like a problem. I was looking for quality rather than quantity.

Here are some of the tracks I've been listening to, before going to bed. I don't mind saying that... I have shed a tear

You will shed more tears and it’s the ultimate purpose of this hobby from my own perspective. Chase the goosebumps moments and cherish them, whatever the setup.

Very complete and informative first impressions of yours.

From a cable point of view, I agree that there is room for exploration, even though I am fine with the stock one so far and my DAP of choice for the Impact.

Nice music btw😎

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back