The PENON official thread
Sep 11, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #5,626 of 13,754
Owning the Vortex and the Serial, I really wanted to like the Globe. But after getting the ISN EST50, there just isn't a reason to keep it. I was hoping to find some unique quality about the Globe, something in its tuning perhaps. But after throwing in the EST50 after a day of listening to the Globes, I think the Globes are going up for sale, they deserve a home where they will be appreciated.
I have been following your purchases and sales, and I would seriously consider, before selling the Globe. I mean I haven't had the span of time with the Globe that you have, and I never sell anything, at least I haven't sold anything for 12 years. So I'm not even coming up with that idea, mostly now it's sample stuff, I couldn't sell anyway. Still I don't have the Vortex or Serial....yet, but the Globe is very very special. Even in reference to the EST50, the Globe does special things. IMO

The other confusing thing is the order of introduction, meaning I got the Globes after the EST50, which makes perception of them different. Also I liked the EST50 way better after joining it with a cable, I didn't have in the beginning. Still please don't sell your Globe, it is more special than you realize maybe. It's a family heirloom that will not be able to be easily replaced. Of course this hobby is always ultimately subjective, so I may be totally wrong. Lol

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #5,627 of 13,754
I have been following your purchase and sales, and I would seriously consider, before selling the Globe. I mean I haven't had the span of time with the Globe that you have, and I never sell anything, at least I haven't sold anything for 12 years. So I'm not even coming up with that idea, mostly now it's sample stuff, I couldn't sell anyway. Still I don't have the Vortex or Serial....yet, but the Globe is very very special. Even in reference to the EST50, the Globe does special things. IMO

The other confusing thing is the order of introduction, meaning I got the Globes after the EST50, which makes perception of them different. Also I liked the EST50 way better after joining it with a cable, I didn't have in the beginning. Still please don't sell your Globe, it is more special than you realize maybe. It's a family heirloom that will not be able to be easily replaced.
Wow, ok. Well, It's possible it needs to burned in more, ok I'll stick with it... :thinking:

Sep 11, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #5,628 of 13,754
I have four different amps, and stuff sound slightly different on each. The Globe needs 100 hours of burn-in. I mean I understand where you are coming from, by being in this game for so long. Of course selling gives you more capital to invest in other directions, I get that. It's just the Globe has something.......I don't exactly even know what it is......a style of magic, that is unique to me. Though take this talk with a grain of salt, as all this is totally personable, and maybe I hear the Globe differently, also maybe in time I won't hold it in such high regard? Still I'm pretty sure my opinion of it is correct!

Also you will (maybe) eventually have an "AHH HA" moment with the Globe, as it may be such a tune that it takes a day?
Wow, ok. Well, It's possible it needs to burned in more, ok I'll stick with it... :thinking:

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #5,629 of 13,754
I have four different amps, and stuff sound slightly different on each. The Globe needs 100 hours of burn-in. I mean I understand where you are coming from, by being in this game for so long. Of course selling gives you more capital to invest in other directions, I get that. It's just the Globe has something.......I don't exactly even know what it is......a style of magic, that is unique to me. Though take this talk with a grain of salt, as all this is totally personable, and maybe I hear the Globe differently, also maybe in time I won't hold it in such high regard? Still I'm pretty sure my opinion of it is correct!

Also you will (maybe) eventually have an "AHH HA" moment with the Globe, as it may be such a tune that it takes a day?
Don't get me wrong, I do like the Globe, it just seems the est50 does it all and more in terms of the high end (concerning the ES drivers, etc.) ALso I think the bass is a bit more polished on the est50... but I'll keep burning them in and see.

Sep 11, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #5,630 of 13,754
Don't get me wrong, I do like the Globe, it just seems the est50 does it all and more in terms of the high end (concerning the ES drivers, etc.) ALso I think the bass is a bit more polished on the est50... but I'll keep burning them in and see.
It is more EST polished totally, though I want you to take note, there is an ocean of IEMs out there which display a BA timbre and tone and the Globe seems to avoid such timbre, even though it is a BA implementation. It's tuned masterfully, even considering the use of BAs.......thats all I'm saying. It's this well constructed "total" (tune) sound of the Globe does that transcends its constituents?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #5,631 of 13,754
I’ve owned the Globes twice, and sold them twice. The lows did interfere with the mids, and were without the texture that the Serial has in the lows, a little in distinct despite quantity being high. Too much muddiness/underwater distance to male vocalists. Now I can like overly warm lows that create warm mids (Volts, for one!), but it just didn’t work out for me with the Globes. In order to bring things to where they should be / tolerable for my tastes, I would have to increase the volume… and therein lies the second problem which cements the first, a harshness somewhere higher up in the FR that means these can’t just be a warm musical play-it-loud set, it would be painful. Probably that was added to bring details back in or counteract the low end quantity.

Between a tad muddy/recessed, and harsh, I’ll take neither. All ears are different, but I lump it as an “improved Orb” but not on the same level as the Serial, Vortex, or Volt for tuning prowess. Maybe trading blows with the Fan.

Beautiful shells though!

What could be more subjective and personal than our ear shapes, nerves, brains, *and* tastes? Always interesting to hear different takes on the same sets. We’re all “right”. :)

Still curious about the EST50, one of the few still on my list to try if the chance arises.

Sep 11, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #5,632 of 13,754
I’ve owned the Globes twice, and sold them twice. The lows did interfere with the mids, and were without the texture that the Serial has in the lows, a little in distinct despite quantity being high. Too much muddiness/underwater distance to male vocalists. Now I can like overly warm lows that create warm mids (Volts, for one!), but it just didn’t work out for me with the Globes. In order to bring things to where they should be / tolerable for my tastes, I would have to increase the volume… and therein lies the second problem which cements the first, a harshness somewhere higher up in the FR that means these can’t just be a warm musical play-it-loud set, it would be painful. Probably that was added to bring details back in or counteract the low end quantity.

Between a tad muddy/recessed, and harsh, I’ll take neither. All ears are different, but I lump it as an “improved Orb” but not on the same level as the Serial, Vortex, or Volt for tuning prowess. Maybe trading blows with the Fan.

Beautiful shells though!

What could be more subjective and personal than our ear shapes, nerves, brains, *and* tastes? Always interesting to hear different takes on the same sets. We’re all “right”. :)

Still curious about the EST50, one of the few still on my list to try if the chance arises.
Curiosity for the win! :)

I agree with you with the low/mid interaction, and yes the the missing texture in the lows, yet somehow the noticeability of those things seemed to pass, being fully overwhelmed by musicality?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #5,633 of 13,754
Interesting; so I threw the Globe onto my cable with palladium plated silver as well as the gold plated silver, and the Globe just came alive! The palladium silver brings out the mids...that seems to be what the Globe needs cable-wise for me. Thanks for making me take a second look at it!

Sep 12, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #5,634 of 13,754
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/szore.362728/

That’s the thing. There ARE truly variations of playback between source, cables and tips. While there may be one or two sticks-in-the-mud with other brands, ISN products seem to respond admirably to cable change-outs. In my experience, sometimes the included cables are fine, other times a cable change out is needed for musical alignment. I’m so happy to hear the Globe is staying close to home. I don’t want to over-hype it, but it’s truly unique and special I feel!

Congratulations!

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #5,635 of 13,754
You know, I've had the Globes in most of the morning, all afternoon and all night, continuosly. Yet, I can't seem to rip them out of my head!!! These are truly keepers.....

20220912_221041.jpg

Sep 14, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #5,637 of 13,754
This modded Vortex is perfect for EDM! :smile_cat:

Sep 14, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #5,638 of 13,754
This modded Vortex is perfect for EDM! :smile_cat:

I like the Vortex too, for electronic, and industrial music! Which do you prefer, the modded Vortex or the Globe?

Sep 14, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #5,639 of 13,754
I like the Vortex too, for electronic, and industrial music! Which do you prefer, the modded Vortex or the Globe?
I think ultimately the Globe is superior...but the Vortex does its own thing...its got lots of character.

Sep 15, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #5,640 of 13,754
I have to tell it - the Vortex is addictive. This beautiful combination of texture, transparency, note weight, dynamics, and crispiness is simply blowing my mind. The bass is quite, and I mean QUITE alright. I feel absolutely zero need to go for the bass mod. Vortex is such a refreshing iem, it's gonna be my default recommendation for anyone who wants a dynamic and crisp sound without having to worry for sibilance.

I'm currently listening to this album and ABSOLUTELY EFFIN' LOVING IT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back