The PENON official thread
Sep 15, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #5,641 of 13,936
Maybe trading blows with the Fan.

I have to disagree, just to put it out there as another subjective opinion, the Globe is better than the Fan. Although I have not listened to either recently, the Fan was never as technically (imaging, staging etc) impressive and not as engaging. However, I do agree that bass texture (not helped by a liberal midbass) and treble air could be alot better on the Globe but overall its still a fair bit ahead of the Fan for me.

Sep 15, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #5,642 of 13,936
IMG_20220915_091731.jpg

Hi.

The family is finally together!

Ordered on 06/15, the same day of marketing campaign started, or soon after, the Vortex have finally arrived! 3 months later. This delay is not attributable to Penon in any case, since on 06/20 they were already in my country, with the standard shipment, and at all times they have answered my emails to see if they could do something on their part.

Since then: a possible loss, staff vacations, several claims on my part, the last one quite hard, and that seems to have caused it to go through two (yes, two) customs inspections, and the payment of additional €70 (€40 in taxes and €30 for the wonderful, fast and efficient work that the postal company has done with all the paperwork). I have paid them because they threatened to return the merchandise to origin. Now that I have received them, I will make claims again to get them back.

In short, everything looks like it has spent two months on the shelf of some customs warehouse. Anyway, I take it with humor, and at least I hoped that some postal or customs employee would have liked them, and that they would have already come with at least 500h of burning, but no. Although the outer box was open with the inspection stamp, Penon's box was sealed.

Impressions coming soon, but this looks great! For now I don't think I'll make the mod, since I like what I hear.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #5,643 of 13,936
IMG_20220915_091731.jpg

Hi.

The family is finally together!

Ordered on 06/15, the same day of marketing campaign started, or soon after, the Vortex have finally arrived! 3 months later. This delay is not attributable to Penon in any case, since on 06/20 they were already in my country, with the standard shipment, and at all times they have answered my emails to see if they could do something on their part.

Since then: a possible loss, staff vacations, several claims on my part, the last one quite hard, and that seems to have caused it to go through two (yes, two) customs inspections, and the payment of additional €70 (€40 in taxes and €30 for the wonderful, fast and efficient work that the postal company has done with all the paperwork). I have paid them because they threatened to return the merchandise to origin. Now that I have received them, I will make claims again to get them back.

In short, everything looks like it has spent two months on the shelf of some customs warehouse. Anyway, I take it with humor, and at least I hoped that some postal or customs employee would have liked them, and that they would have already come with at least 500h of burning, but no. Although the outer box was open with the inspection stamp, Penon's box was sealed.

Impressions coming soon, but this looks great! For now I don't think I'll make the mod, since I like what I hear.

You have much more patience and humour than I! I hope you enjoy them and keep us updated.

Sep 15, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #5,644 of 13,936
You have much more patience and humour than I! I hope you enjoy them and keep us updated.
The wait has been made more pleasant by the Yanyin Moonlight that I bought shortly before (and rightly so with express shipping). If it wasn't like that, my patience would have run out a long time ago, although every time I read a comment in this thread praising the benefits of the Vortex... I bit my nails!

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #5,646 of 13,936
I have to tell it - the Vortex is addictive. This beautiful combination of texture, transparency, note weight, dynamics, and crispiness is simply blowing my mind. The bass is quite, and I mean QUITE alright. I feel absolutely zero need to go for the bass mod. Vortex is such a refreshing iem, it's gonna be my default recommendation for anyone who wants a dynamic and crisp sound without having to worry for sibilance.

I'm currently listening to this album and ABSOLUTELY EFFIN' LOVING IT!
Bass mod doesn't just increase the low end, but seems to open up the staging even more over stock. It's hard to describe the whole effect the mod has, but I just think of it as just making the Vortex sound even more "grand", without losing any of the detailing or nuances. I know it's a bit off-putting to think of the mod potentially being non-reversible, but I love the Vortex all the more after doing it!

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #5,647 of 13,936
I just mod'd my Vortex. I would have preferred to split the difference between unmod'd and mod'd, but I think it's superior mod'd vs unmod'd.

Were you able to preserve the filters without losing any, like I unfortunately did??

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #5,648 of 13,936
Sep 15, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #5,649 of 13,936
I looked at those but my rough measurement of the vent put it at about 2mm. The 2.5mm may work but I didnt want to order them without a more accurate measurement than what I did

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #5,650 of 13,936
I looked at those but my rough measurement of the vent put it at about 2mm. The 2.5mm may work but I didnt want to order them without a more accurate measurement than what I did
Ah, 2mm sure is small. It could be that the only way to reverse the mod if the filters have been damaged is to ask Penon if they'd be gracious enough, and cover postage for them.

Sep 15, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #5,651 of 13,936
Owning the Vortex and the Serial, I really wanted to like the Globe. But after getting the ISN EST50, there just isn't a reason to keep it. I was hoping to find some unique quality about the Globe, something in its tuning perhaps. But after throwing in the EST50 after a day of listening to the Globes, I think the Globes are going up for sale, they deserve a home where they will be appreciated.
I'm torn between getting the Variations or taking a leap of faith with the EST50s...

Personally I'm a bass-leaning neutral kinda dude. For frame of reference, I used to think the Oxygen was the penultimate iem... until Vortex (non-mod) . With that said, I am totally enthralled with Penon's house sound (have Serial & Globe).

Heard the Variations can be a little thin in the mids & isn't exactly a huge upgrade over B2Dusk. Really trying to avoid being acoustically disappointed (especially since I already own B2Dusk).

The minimal reviews of EST50 sound like she is very musical & can easily hold her own against Variations. Plus EST50 (new) is a bit more affordable.

* Can you (& fellow enthusiasts too) offer this youngling any sage jedi audio advice on this inquiry?
[Please & thanks to all in advance 😊]

Sep 15, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #5,652 of 13,936
I'm torn between getting the Variations or taking a leap of faith with the EST50s...

Personally I'm a bass-leaning neutral kinda dude. For frame of reference, I used to think the Oxygen was the penultimate iem... until Vortex (non-mod) . With that said, I am totally enthralled with Penon's house sound (have Serial & Globe).

Heard the Variations can be a little thin in the mids & isn't exactly a huge upgrade over B2Dusk. Really trying to avoid being acoustically disappointed (especially since I already own B2Dusk).

The minimal reviews of EST50 sound like she is very musical & can easily hold her own against Variations. Plus EST50 (new) is a bit more affordable.

* Can you (& fellow enthusiasts too) offer this youngling any sage jedi audio advice on this inquiry?
[Please & thanks to all in advance 😊]
I don't know Variations but the EST50 punches way above its price...its got TOTL sound. I truly think @Dsnuts nailed it in his review.

Sep 16, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #5,653 of 13,936
I don't know Variations but the EST50 punches way above its price...its got TOTL sound. I truly think @Dsnuts nailed it in his review.
Please can you do a comparison of the EST50 with the Szalayi and any other similarly tuned IEMs you have?
I know there's a huge difference in price but....
Thank you! 🙏🏾🙏🏾

Sep 16, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #5,654 of 13,936
Please can you do a comparison of the EST50 with the Szalayi and any other similarly tuned IEMs you have?
I know there's a huge difference in price but....
Thank you! 🙏🏾🙏🏾
Oh, man I'm leaving for work....bottom line; you cannot go wrong either way, they both punch above their price...no doubt. Really hard question...I'm going back and forth between them right now and they are both phenomenal...let me get back to you tonight....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back