The PENON official thread
Sep 20, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #5,671 of 13,882
May I know which eartips you're using? I'm using a similar eartips:

20220920_153553.jpg

It's from the Tanchjim Ola. They provide the best balance between bass slam and spaciousness.

I am using probably the same thing... bought some Tanchjim T-APB T300 tips from Aliexpress. I agree about the effects on the sound completely.

Sep 20, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #5,672 of 13,882
So I am gonna post this here as it applies. Penon will be releasing a new ISN IEM if you guys aren't aware. ISN being their sister company. You can expect the same manufacturing and tuning qualities from their soon to be released ISN H30 which will be released this week.. You can read my initial post about them here.

Sep 20, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #5,673 of 13,882
So I am gonna post this here as it applies. Penon will be releasing a new ISN IEM if you guys aren't aware. ISN being their sister company. You can expect the same manufacturing and tuning qualities from their soon to be released ISN H30 which will be released this week.. You can read my initial post about them here.
Been wondering about this since I saw the beautiful design. Thanks!

Sep 20, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #5,674 of 13,882
Ever since I have discovered Jinjer, I've been head over hills in love with them! The raw power coupled with a dynamic and very engaging rhythm gets me grooving every time!
Screenshot 2022-09-20 225428.jpg

And what best gear to enjoy them except the brilliant Shanling UA3 and Penon Vortex combo? The brilliant vibrant textures of Vortex, while paired with the signature AKM flavour, creates the perfect medium to convey the emotion in the Jinjer tracks!
20220920_231055.jpg

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #5,676 of 13,882
I put the filters back on the Vortex 🙃

I really loved the slab of bass it brought. It’s addictive. It even usurped the Globe’s place as my bass monitor for a good time. But ultimately I decided I missed the texture and detail of stock Vortex that made it such a joy with all sorts of instruments.

And I was pleasantly surprised to find that re-filtered Vortex seems to have more bass than I remembered. As far as I can see, the filters are sitting accurately on the vents. It may be that they don’t seal as well now but I have no way of telling.

It’s an excellent and easy mod and at the end of the day, it comes down to personal taste, your music library and the role Vortex plays in your collection.

Who knows, I might remove the filters again some time. And keep replacing and removing them until they disintegrate completely. A Vortex Pro with a bass switch would be sweet. Just saying :)

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #5,677 of 13,882
I put the filters back on the Vortex 🙃

I really loved the slab of bass it brought. It’s addictive. It even usurped the Globe’s place as my bass monitor for a good time. But ultimately I decided I missed the texture and detail of stock Vortex that made it such a joy with all sorts of instruments.

And I was pleasantly surprised to find that re-filtered Vortex seems to have more bass than I remembered. As far as I can see, the filters are sitting accurately on the vents. It may be that they don’t seal as well now but I have no way of telling.

It’s an excellent and easy mod and at the end of the day, it comes down to personal taste, your music library and the role Vortex plays in your collection.

Who knows, I might remove the filters again some time. And keep replacing and removing them until they disintegrate completely. A Vortex Pro with a bass switch would be sweet. Just saying :)
I'm amazed you got those filters out in 1 piece! Mine were destroyed upon removal, but I put the "egg crate" filter mod in this morning, and the Vortex is better for me...without the filter the bass is too boxy.....thud...thud...thud.... much better with filter. :)

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #5,678 of 13,882
I'm amazed you got those filters out in 1 piece! Mine were destroyed upon removal, but I put the "egg crate" filter mod in this morning, and the Vortex is better for me...without the filter the bass is too boxy.....thud...thud...thud.... much better with filter. :)

How well does the egg crate foam fit in those tiny ports? Would it be possible if you could get a close up shot of what it looks like??

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #5,679 of 13,882
How well does the egg crate foam fit in those tiny ports? Would it be possible if you could get a close up shot of what it looks like??
I'm at work I'll do it when i get home...they went in easier then I thought, but you have to cut it to size with a sharp knife or razor blade. It seems the vent is relativley deep, so the crate-if its the right size-will just push right in.

Sep 20, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #5,680 of 13,882
This is the best I could do on my crappy phone...

20220920_185948.jpg
20220920_185956.jpg
20220920_190004.jpg

Sep 20, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #5,681 of 13,882
Got a picture of what you did?

EDIT: I should have waited until I was all caught up. Is this egg crate foam?

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #5,682 of 13,882
Got a picture of what you did?

EDIT: I should have waited until I was all caught up. Is this egg crate foam?
Yes.......Here are filters in various stages of trimming, lol...

20220920_193843.jpg

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #5,683 of 13,882
Ah, excellent images of the mod, thanks! I was thinking that the trimming of the foam would be tricky! That port is so tiny...

Sep 21, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #5,684 of 13,882
Would micropore tape be effective for the exposed vent?

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #5,685 of 13,882
My Fan arrived! Love the stabilized wood on this set more than the one I used to have.
Using with the OS133 cable just because.
And JVC Spiral Dot tips.

First track: Go As a Dream by Caroline Polachek. Crystal clear. Beautiful mids. Controlled but big bass when it arises. Stage is on the larger side. Sound fantastic!

All the coherency and timbre you'd expect of a single driver.

Confines by Black Pumas just came on, sounds great so far. Imaging very well. Super clear and crisp but still warm. Loving it!

Movements by Roots Manuva. This is *high quality* bass. Very clean, but lots of impact.

EDIT: Absolutely nuts for What do you want from me by Pink Floyd, was great with CCR before that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back