The PENON official thread
Jun 28, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #5,116 of 13,780
Update on cables... I didn't find the Mix to offer any obvious sonic improvements over the stock one. But I dug out a PWaudio No.5 cable that wasn't being used on anything at the moment, and that sure seems to expand the sense of space a bit. So that's what I'm sticking with for now. I may either return the Mix, or sell it. No real need for it.

Jun 28, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #5,119 of 13,780
I always spring for expedited DHL service w/ Penon. Purchases get to me in the midwest pretty darn quickly that way. It's worth the extra $10 in my mind.
I did expedited as well. Just haven't heard anything since I placed the order on Friday but it was already Saturday there so I assume I should get an update sometime today...

Jun 28, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #5,121 of 13,780
The Vortex just rolled in - fresh out of the box listen with stock CS819 + ePro - very refined tuning from top to bottom, still as musical per Penon’s hallmark but slightly less so compared to Orb, Globe or even Serial, sub-bass seemed a little restraint on certain tracks but certainly no slouch, mids have a good sense of space/separation and the treble offers quite a bit of detail and extension yet un-fatiguing - if it’s a few dB more I’d reckon it’ll be out of the mature zone Penon is known for.

One thing that surely impresses me is it’s cleanliness (plus clarity and resolution) despite its well endowed mid-bass from the custom dlc coated driver, will be rolling with CEMA SPC next when time permits and I do think it should sound fantastic building from such solid foundation.

Love the tuning direction Penon is heading right now as I’ve previously requested for a repertoire of analytical, technical yet musical package and Vortex certainly delivers if not much more.

Another real bonus for me is there’s no driver’s flex on the Vortex compared to Fan for example as I usually suffer from one on my right ear! And man… not least those shells are tiny in comparison to its stablemates - and super comfy…

Fantastic album for the Vortex!

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #5,122 of 13,780
I did expedited as well. Just haven't heard anything since I placed the order on Friday but it was already Saturday there so I assume I should get an update sometime today...

My shipment was delayed as well and I was told the pandemic control in HK was the cause.

Jun 28, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #5,123 of 13,780
The Vortex just rolled in - fresh out of the box listen with stock CS819 + ePro - very refined tuning from top to bottom, still as musical per Penon’s hallmark but slightly less so compared to Orb, Globe or even Serial, sub-bass seemed a little restraint on certain tracks but certainly no slouch, mids have a good sense of space/separation and the treble offers quite a bit of detail and extension yet un-fatiguing - if it’s a few dB more I’d reckon it’ll be out of the mature zone Penon is known for.

One thing that surely impresses me is it’s cleanliness, clarity and resolution despite its well endowed mid-bass from the custom dlc coated driver, will be rolling with CEMA SPC next when time permits and I do think it should sound fantastic building from such solid foundation.

Love the tuning direction Penon is heading right now as I’ve previously requested for a repertoire of analytical, technical yet musical package and Vortex certainly delivers if not much more.

Another real bonus for me is there’s no driver’s flex on the Vortex compared to Fan for example as I usually suffer from one on my right ear! And man… not least those shells are tiny in comparison to its stablemates - and super comfy…

Fantastic album for the Vortex!

Great album. Really plays with the Vortex well. Let me know how the CEMA SPC goes! I'm currently using CEMA UP-OCC.

Jun 28, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #5,124 of 13,780
Update on cables... I didn't find the Mix to offer any obvious sonic improvements over the stock one. But I dug out a PWaudio No.5 cable that wasn't being used on anything at the moment, and that sure seems to expand the sense of space a bit. So that's what I'm sticking with for now. I may either return the Mix, or sell it. No real need for it.
You try it on the EST50? I would check how that works out.

Ya I wasn't all that impressed with how the mix matched up with the Vortex. I like the OS849 much better for it.

Jun 28, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #5,125 of 13,780

Ya I wasn't all that impressed with how the mix matched up with the Vortex. I like the OS849 much better for it.
I settled on the ISN GS4 for now. Seems to bring the mids out more. Thickens it up a little.

Attachments

• C619A241-93B3-4205-9954-FBB8CB6B8BD3.jpeg
    C619A241-93B3-4205-9954-FBB8CB6B8BD3.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 28, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #5,126 of 13,780
Funny. I switched out Mix for PWA #5 on Oriolus Isa last night to see about synergy on my new dap. To me, Mix increases bass coloration whereas #5 gives a better balance between bass and rest of freq spectrum.
Mix is a good cable. May come in handy down the road on a different iem.

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #5,127 of 13,780

Ah, good thought, will give that a try. I'll probably try out the OS849 soon too.

I looked over the classifieds here thinking about trying out a couple cable options 2nd-hand, but everything seems to sell immediately. Looks like the used cable market is hot right now!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #5,128 of 13,780
Great album. Really plays with the Vortex well. Let me know how the CEMA SPC goes! I'm currently using CEMA UP-OCC.

Yea…fantastic album and the Vortex reproduced it in spades. Couldn’t wait to swap the CEMA SPC over but found it lacking some bite. Note weight, the low end and stage are nice though, back it goes to the Orb. I then put the Mix on, and wow! this pairing sure hit the sweet spot - slight lower end emphasis, just a touch but the mids and treble are truly holographic, very noticeable stage expansion, vivid and with just the right bite. I think the Mix will be staying for now. I didn’t forget about the CEMA UPOCC though. :relaxed:

On the contrary, I really dig the Mix pairing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back