The PENON official thread
Apr 18, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #4,591 of 13,661
I had a thought. I am wondering if Penon can make an IEM with the insides of the shell lined with the Totem material. Hence giving the sound a much more robust dimensionalism. Just an idea. Lol

Speaking of Totem. You guys know about this?

1650309068973.png

Its actually got a little dac chip inside this thing. Converting USB-C to 3.5 or 2.5mm out. Dont think it is a true balanced out though but I bet this sounds good none the less.
I looked but couldn't find this on the Penon website.

Apr 18, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #4,592 of 13,661
Azla Crystal have just arrived and are a clear improvement over the Xelastec. They're not as sticky, but they stay put, so they do their job. Maybe it's my mind, I've only listened for a few minutes, but I notice that they open the soundstage compared to the Xelastec. The behavior in the frequency range is very similar. The cylindrical body is a bit narrower, so they fit like a glove on the Serials, but they won't fit the Volts. They also come with an adapter for narrower bores.
Because of Parkinson's Disease I no longer have the manual dexterity to get most tips onto nozzles. As of now the only tips I can successfully manipulate onto the wide nozzles of the Oriolus Isabellae are the Spinfits CP155 because of the wide diameter of the cylinder column (5.5mm) and its stiff construction. I've ordered the CP145 for the Serial I just ordered and I'm optimistic that I can mount those successfully as well. I have narrow ear canals so I use the small size 155s.

I haven't been able to find other brands that use bore diameters as wide as these Spinfits or use thicker walls for the bore cylinders for the nozzles. Any suggestions?

Apr 18, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #4,593 of 13,661
Because of Parkinson's Disease I no longer have the manual dexterity to get most tips onto nozzles. As of now the only tips I can successfully manipulate onto the wide nozzles of the Oriolus Isabellae are the Spinfits CP155 because of the wide diameter of the cylinder column (5.5mm) and its stiff construction. I've ordered the CP145 for the Serial I just ordered and I'm optimistic that I can mount those successfully as well. I have narrow ear canals so I use the small size 155s.

I haven't been able to find other brands that use bore diameters as wide as these Spinfits or use thicker walls for the bore cylinders for the nozzles. Any suggestions?
https://hifigo.com/products/whizzer-et100?variant=41252445651118

Sorry to hear about your condition. These have a fairly wide bore & the core cylinder material is somewhat more stiff so they are easier to slip on compared to the softer material of other ear tips.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #4,594 of 13,661

JVC Spiral Dots.

Apr 18, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #4,595 of 13,661
The Azla Sedna Earfit Regulars have a firm build and the diameter of the cylinder is aimed at fitting 5.4>7.2mm nozzles so they are on the wide side. The Lights are made of thinner material and constructed to fit 4.5>6.7mm nozzles so I'll try those with the Serial and the Isabellae. I'm staying away from the Shorts because I've found that a shorter core cylindeer is more difficult lever onto the nozzle.

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #4,596 of 13,661
Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #4,597 of 13,661
Apr 20, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #4,598 of 13,661
I only saw the Canon. Did not see the Serial. Is that a separate review?
it's the twitter link above. i'll edit to make it more obvious

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #4,599 of 13,661
So thanks to @-rowan- 's suggestion to try the black SednaEarfit with the long grey stems on my Serials and man o man did they transform what I was hearing. :ksc75smile: These tips are staying on them for the foreseeable future, and the sound has become much more powerful and fuller in the bass and lower mids. I had originally been thinking about a cable upgrade, but the tip rolling of the Sednas has done pretty much exactly what I was looking for. These iems are really something special! In fact, I am so happy with the Serial, that my Kato are getting returned.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #4,600 of 13,661
@stevehecht - The black SednaEarfit with long grey stem, are super easy to fit on the Serial, and I recommend giving them a try.

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #4,601 of 13,661
@stevehecht - The black SednaEarfit with long grey stem, are super easy to fit on the Serial, and I recommend giving them a try.
They'd be these right? https://store.azla.co.kr/collections/sednaearfit-series/products/sednaearfit™-standard

I have the SednaEarfitLight, which is the same geometry but different material stiffness (light is a bit softer apparently). SednaEarfitLight are wide bore, and to my ears, they boost the treble. Not sure about mids or bass though. Sadly I don't have the Serial to try, but I can't use them on my S12 as they are too bright.

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #4,602 of 13,661
They'd be these right? https://store.azla.co.kr/collections/sednaearfit-series/products/sednaearfit™-standard

I have the SednaEarfitLight, which is the same geometry but different material stiffness (light is a bit softer apparently). SednaEarfitLight are wide bore, and to my ears, they boost the treble. Not sure about mids or bass though. Sadly I don't have the Serial to try, but I can't use them on my S12 as they are too bright.
Those are the ones, and they sound quite thick and definitely don't reduce bass or boost treble on the Serial.

Apr 20, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #4,603 of 13,661
Those are the ones, and they sound quite thick and definitely don't reduce bass or boost treble on the Serial.
These are called "standard" (at least on Amazon.com) or 'regular' or 'original' in order to distinguish them from the Sedna Earfit Light which uses a more flexible, softer silicon material. I will be receiving the S and SS sizes of the Standard with the long nozzle stem (the Short has a shorter nozzle stem).

The Standard was the first version of the Sednas to be manufactued by Azla I believe. The Crystal and the Xelastic came later.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #4,604 of 13,661
These are called "standard" (at least on Amazon.com) or 'regular' or 'original' in order to distinguish them from the Sedna Earfit Light which uses a more flexible, softer silicon material. I will be receiving the S and SS sizes of the Standard with the long nozzle stem (the Short has a shorter nozzle stem).

The Standard was the first version of the Sednas to be manufactued by Azla I believe. The Crystal and the Xelastic came later.
That all sounds correct to me.

Apr 20, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #4,605 of 13,661
So thanks to @-rowan- 's suggestion to try the black SednaEarfit with the long grey stems on my Serials and man o man did they transform what I was hearing. :ksc75smile: These tips are staying on them for the foreseeable future, and the sound has become much more powerful and fuller in the bass and lower mids. I had originally been thinking about a cable upgrade, but the tip rolling of the Sednas has done pretty much exactly what I was looking for. These iems are really something special! In fact, I am so happy with the Serial, that my Kato are getting returned.

Glad the black Sednas worked for you! Tip-rolling - and deeper insertion - are pretty much the priority with the Serial. The bass pressure is just delicious with a good fit. Anyway, the stock cable synergizes so well that there aren’t many better options without considerable additional expense. The PAC480, which I use, is like the stock cable on steroids, and the G4 seems to have had good feedback as well though I haven’t tried it yet.

The Azla Sedna Earfit Regulars have a firm build and the diameter of the cylinder is aimed at fitting 5.4>7.2mm nozzles so they are on the wide side. The Lights are made of thinner material and constructed to fit 4.5>6.7mm nozzles so I'll try those with the Serial and the Isabellae. I'm staying away from the Shorts because I've found that a shorter core cylindeer is more difficult lever onto the nozzle.

The black long-stemmed Sednas should not be a problem if you’re able to mount Spinfit CP145s on the Serial:

C8A0282E-65A9-45C7-831C-2E9D76F91835.jpeg

If you’re able to, could you provide a comparison between the Serial and Isabellae? I’ve been curious about that one for some time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back