The PENON official thread
Feb 2, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #4,351 of 14,151
The Serials are penonmenal :relaxed: the sound is so addicting. BAs never again. My Moondrop Variations gather dust.
The same happened to me. I liked the Serial sound so much that I bought an used Volt, and now between the two I don't use any other. The volt gives me more detail and a lot of air in the high frequencies, but the sound of the Serial is addictive. I love that bass...

I have started selling other iems from my collection.

Feb 2, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #4,352 of 14,151
The Serials are penonmenal :relaxed: the sound is so addicting. BAs never again. My Moondrop Variations gather dust.

The Serials are phenomenal! I wouldn’t go so far about BAs. I loving my SeeAudio Bravery. Sonion mids BAs are excellent for mid timbre.

Feb 2, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #4,353 of 14,151
The Serials are phenomenal! I wouldn’t go so far about BAs. I loving my SeeAudio Bravery. Sonion mids BAs are excellent for mid timbre.
Sonion midrange BAs are doubtless excellent, but VE Elysium and new EXT are maybe proving that bass DD + mid DD is the way forward. Really interested to see what the Dunu Vulcan contributes to that theory at hopefully a more attainable price range for mere mortals.

Feb 3, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #4,354 of 14,151
Hello! For all users of the Serial, a song in which I can distinguish the quality of the percussions in them, is "Harper Lewis" by "Russian Circles". From the beginning of the song I manage to distinguish textures in the bass drum and the rest of the percussions, which I had not perceived with other iem. The volts also handle it great, but I notice a little more warmth in the Serials.

Feb 5, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #4,356 of 14,151
Would the Serial be an upgrade to the FiiO FH7?
Did you check the sound demo in this post?:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/penon-audio-thread-post-your-impressions-here.934523/post-16782745
I'm sure there are diferences in sound between the Ikko OH10 an Fio FH7 but you can clearly hear that the treble of Serial is very understated compared to OH10. I was almost unable to hear the percussion in that track on the Serial parts of the recording. If you like treble to be a notable part of the mix, the Serial might not be what you want.

Feb 5, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #4,357 of 14,151
Did you check the sound demo in this post?:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/penon-audio-thread-post-your-impressions-here.934523/post-16782745
I'm sure there are diferences in sound between the Ikko OH10 an Fio FH7 but you can clearly hear that the treble of Serial is very understated compared to OH10. I was almost unable to hear the percussion in that track on the Serial parts of the recording. If you like treble to be a notable part of the mix, the Serial might not be what you want.
How is the treble on the Volt?

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #4,358 of 14,151
Radius Deep Mount x Volt (and Serial)

0926F80D-D557-4852-B704-D47EA9313AFA.jpeg

The Radius Deep Mount tips arrived today and I’m really digging them.

Where they really surprised me is in imaging. Singers and musicians are all just more precisely located. This is particularly obvious in terms of depth (width is usually not an issue). The Serial, once burned in, has a pretty decent soundstage but the Radius tips just made it a more defined and 3D space. And I thought I knew the Volt was good at imaging but these tips really showed how good it is at organising and presenting those layers.

In terms of sound, the Radius are comparable to Spiral Dots (a longtime favourite of mine), but with a stronger mid-bass tilt and no appreciable loss of treble. As expected, they seal well. They’re also surprisingly comfortable.

I bought the pack with all 4 sizes and M turned out the best fit. They’re about equivalent to an M in Spirals, which is what I use for deeper insertion (I otherwise take ML).

Going to have to order more of these.

Serial + Mix + Radius Deep Mount + Fiio M11+ really hits the spot for me. The bass has an added mid bass boost, the bore is relatively narrow but not as small as Final Type E, treble and soundstage take less of a hit and remain prominent. Briefly tried Azla Vivid, less bass more mid centric, great isolation. Will need more time with them.

Yeah, the Azla Vivids are very soft and very comfortable (they remind me of my old Grado/Ortofon tips) but they’re not going to get much ear time with these around.

Amazon Jp and DHL shipping were ridiculously quick. Ordered on Saturday (dispatched Monday) and arrived Wednesday in UK. I didn’t realise it was this easy. Another dangerous gateway for audio equipment opened lol.

It’s a more slippery slope than I bargained for!

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #4,359 of 14,151

Smooth and refined, with a well-extended and detailed upper treble. It needs burning in though.

Feb 14, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #4,362 of 14,151
Legend cable odyssey….
Dx300 dap.
Cables tried—
OSG, Mix, Stock, Satin Medusa II, PW Loki, Plussound copper, Cema (Au, Ag, Cu).
Different signatures displayed for each cable.
Been searching for:
Enhanced tonal texture (just a touch of edge or natural tonal grain, what I associate with Sony wm1a sound and DD iems).
Spaciousness or presence of clear depth amid instrumentation.
Balance across the sound spectrum, from bass thru mids to treble.
Hadn’t found what I was after. Doesn’t help only 30 hrs on Legend so far (burn in?).
Got OSG back tonight from Plussound. Replaced two pin connectors for me (one bent). They do great work.
OSG was last one to try from my stock.
And, so far, I am thrilled by the combo!
Seemingly everything I’ve been searching for.
Switches: 020. Low gain. Medium gain and higher decreases separation, muddles frequencies up a bit, too congested. Some Acoustune tips in there. Legend fits with any tips though.
Love this combo.
So, anyone else paired OSG with Legend and settled there?

Edit: not Monile, but Loki

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #4,363 of 14,151
OK. Different plan. This thread is dedicated to the Official Penon site. Basically all official Penon goods like their cables and IEMs.

Reason for my confusion is Penon audio will be making a separate thread that will be dedicated to everything they sell on their site. Look for that one soon.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #4,364 of 14,151
If you're a treblehead, this will not suffice.
They're bright, EST energetic lower treble emphasized, smooth upper treble, not piercing, tuned for long, very long listening sessions.
One of the most realistic percussion in ANY price range, way above its price range.
I'm still using the tips below, my Radius still in the ama.jp cart, lol...
IMG_20211116_150251.jpg
sedna-earfit.jpg

Feb 16, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #4,365 of 14,151
Updating this little list apropos of nothing:

2019.Feb. - BS1 Official (Buds)
2019.Oct. - Sphere
2020.Mar. - Orb
2020.Sept.- Volt
2020.Dec. - Fan
2021.Mar. - Globe

2021 Aug - Legend
2021 Nov - Serial

If this cycle is anything to go by, are we due for a little joy? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back