The PENON official thread
May 1, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #2,566 of 13,672
Next time you order from them you can certainly ask for a flatter 2 pin which I bet you they can do. I know they have access to all types of accessories for cables, they are cable makers after all. I have seen them make customized cables for people so I would keep that in mind next time you get anything from them.

May 3, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #2,568 of 13,672
May 5, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #2,571 of 13,672

Try this
Sub-bass lines, fretwork, drumming, percussion w/ extended trebles all in perfect coherence and harmony on the Globes.
Not to mention the unbelievable agility, energy w/ clarity...

May 6, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #2,572 of 13,672
Greetings everyone!

Here’s me making my second post after the obligatory introduction as a long time lurker! Yeah I know creepy! Thought I’d start right here as I’m a big fan of Penon!

Being a Cantonese myself plus having some connection with Hong Kong makes Penon an easy outfit for me to like.

Importantly, I love their house offerings and not forgetting their wonderful customer service, I know I know, mileages varies but it has been great for me.

What really spurred me to participate in this thread was mainly how Penon has been progressing in recent years, so I guess it’s high time to join the party and not being left out discussing past, current and future offerings from the folks at Sheung Shui.

Pleased to meet your acquaintances.

Cheers,
Rob

May 6, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #2,573 of 13,672
Penon tuning you can clearly tell they are into listening to music. Never heard a Penon earphone that is ruler flat or neutral but all their earphones sound spectacular for music which is the real reason why we even get earphones in the first place. Glad you decided to join the forums that is headfi. Even better the Penon thread.

May 6, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #2,574 of 13,672
1620325091020.png

So I got the Penon PAC480 yesterday. Fantastic value on these cables. If you guys are looking for an upgrade cable these gets a thumbs up from me. Highly recommended.

I posted this last night on the cable thread but it is my thoughts on the cable.

Sonic properties leans more toward copper cables as the bulk of the cable make up here is OCC copper with the silver portions of the outer layers of the cable being silver plating. Excellent for hybrids and all BA earphones that need some added note weight and fullness to the sonics. Very dynamic and balanced in what it does but due to copper properties your gonna get the best mids and bass your earphones can muster with the added perk of a more expansive stage. There is enough silver properties to not overly smooth out treble tones and throws out really good imaging and detial for being mostly copper. Very versatile so far as I have yet to hear an earphone yet that don't sound right using these. Highly recommend getting these in balanced.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #2,575 of 13,672
Absolutely! Yeah Penon tuning is all about getting into the groove rather than dissecting music scores and like you said that’s the real reason why we all purchase earphones the first place. By the way, that PAC480 looks awesome and screams quality making this cable a highly attractive purchase proposition especially now with its introductory price. Pity I’m not into cables that has too little silver in their makeup though I speculate these will work mighty fine with bright sets to balance things out.

Cheers for the welcome @Dsnuts !

May 7, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #2,576 of 13,672

So I got the Penon PAC480 yesterday. Fantastic value on these cables. If you guys are looking for an upgrade cable these gets a thumbs up from me. Highly recommended.

I posted this last night on the cable thread but it is my thoughts on the cable.

Sonic properties leans more toward copper cables as the bulk of the cable make up here is OCC copper with the silver portions of the outer layers of the cable being silver plating. Excellent for hybrids and all BA earphones that need some added note weight and fullness to the sonics. Very dynamic and balanced in what it does but due to copper properties your gonna get the best mids and bass your earphones can muster with the added perk of a more expansive stage. There is enough silver properties to not overly smooth out treble tones and throws out really good imaging and detial for being mostly copper. Very versatile so far as I have yet to hear an earphone yet that don't sound right using these. Highly recommend getting these in balanced.
Is it comparable with Penon Mix or OS849?

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #2,577 of 13,672
Greetings everyone!

Here’s me making my second post after the obligatory introduction as a long time lurker! Yeah I know creepy! Thought I’d start right here as I’m a big fan of Penon!

Being a Cantonese myself plus having some connection with Hong Kong makes Penon an easy outfit for me to like.

Importantly, I love their house offerings and not forgetting their wonderful customer service, I know I know, mileages varies but it has been great for me.

What really spurred me to participate in this thread was mainly how Penon has been progressing in recent years, so I guess it’s high time to join the party and not being left out discussing past, current and future offerings from the folks at Sheung Shui.

Pleased to meet your acquaintances.

Cheers,
Rob
Welcome @rawbine, nice to meet you, too.
i'm patron since 2016.
Design & build Cables were Penon's primary back in the day, aside from authorised reseller of some popular brands.
From 3 years back, they ventured into buds and iems, i perssonally observed, they were very careful about every release and carved a niche w/ their own house sound, by now is well known among followers...

May 7, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #2,578 of 13,672
Thanks @ehjie and likewise!

Your statement “they were very careful about every release” is precisely why I like Penon the first place. Every product they has launched thus far has been properly planned & designed often with customized drivers and that to me are real value. I’ve yet to see them rushing out any half baked products just because the mass demands them, a clear distinction between mature boutique offering vs bleeding edge commercialization.

Apart from their fantastic sounding IEM and customers service, I’m also particularly drawn to their design ethos, they just sing to me! As a person who has a marketing background, having tasteful branding, design and packaging is a real plus which sways me to a certain degree with my purchasing decision. No a fix in stone requirement per se but a nice bonus to have on top of performances.

I’m really stoked that Penon had gained traction’s over the years more so recently, exciting time!

May 7, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #2,579 of 13,672
Is it comparable with Penon Mix or OS849?
Not as resolving as the Mix obviously as half of its cores are silver but is very comparable to the OS849.

You can look at it as a more copper based OS849. Just as equally versatile and effective on just about any type of earphone it is used on. I actually prefer the PAC480 on the new Tansio Mirai Land vs the Mix right now. Balances out the very nicely done detail of the LAND with adding a bit more body to the sounds and even a greater exapanisive stage on the LAND. Synergy is amazing with the LAND and the PAC480.

Seriously for the money and if you own more than a few earphones PAC480 is a no brainer. It is this years surprise cable for me and that is out of about 10 new cables I got this year. The value on them is clearly evident. I have zero doubts about their retail price being $100. Like I said I feel it is on a similar level of the OS849 which is clearly one of the best cables you can buy at $120 price point.

May 8, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #2,580 of 13,672
I have the Orbit cable. I love what it does soundwise to my Rai Pentas (more clarity) but it's too heavy to use one the go. Is there a similar Penon cable with less weight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back