The PENON official thread
Feb 3, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #1,996 of 13,712
Please share your impressions upon receipt. Thanks...
For sure!
Mtm shipped some days ago and left HK 30th Jan

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #1,997 of 13,712
IMG_3291-1.jpg

Mix is one of the latest cable of the Penon Audio and I've been listening for about 100 hours with the various earphones on my hand and my first impressions are quite positive. When I received it and tried the Mix, there was some resonance like effect on the sound, but I can say that this feeling disappeared after about 20-30 hours of burn-in. The cable is pretty thick, I think it's 22awg size but there are no ergonomic issues at all. Material and build quality are also great. Sound-wise, Mix is a slightly warm and natural sounding cable. In this sense, I found the Effect Audio Eros is quite similar with the Mix in terms of sound. Bass frequency is balanced, tight, and controlled. It does not increase the bass amount much, but you get much more controlled and clean bass beats instead. The midrange has a good amount of weight with great transparency and details. Treble has a great extension, air, and clarity. When I tried it with the Penon Orb, it makes some pretty positive touches to trebles. It increased the clarity and airiness of Orb, and adds more extension. It also has a very positive effect on the soundstage. The warm and natural sound presentation of the copper cable is well blended with the clean, bright and transparent structure of the silver cable. In general, Mix is a quite good cable, but of course, it is all about synergy.

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #1,998 of 13,712
IMG_3291-1.jpg

Mix is one of the latest cable of the Penon Audio and I've been listening for about 100 hours with the various earphones on my hand and my first impressions are quite positive. When I received it and tried the Mix, there was some resonance like effect on the sound, but I can say that this feeling disappeared after about 20-30 hours of burn-in. The cable is pretty thick, I think it's 22awg size but there are no ergonomic issues at all. Material and build quality are also great. Sound-wise, Mix is a slightly warm and natural sounding cable. In this sense, I found the Effect Audio Eros is quite similar with the Mix in terms of sound. Bass frequency is balanced, tight, and controlled. It does not increase the bass amount much, but you get much more controlled and clean bass beats instead. The midrange has a good amount of weight with great transparency and details. Treble has a great extension, air, and clarity. When I tried it with the Penon Orb, it makes some pretty positive touches to trebles. It increased the clarity and airiness of Orb, and adds more extension. It also has a very positive effect on the soundstage. The warm and natural sound presentation of the copper cable is well blended with the clean, bright and transparent structure of the silver cable. In general, Mix is a quite good cable, but of course, it is all about synergy.

Is that your photo? If so, you and Redcarmoose set the standard for photography on this forum.

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #1,999 of 13,712

@justrest
did you compared it with others penon cables?

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #2,002 of 13,712
Damn... H40 was gorgeous. Orb is gorgeous. Fan is gorgeous. Everything from Penon is so nice looking! X_X
photo_2021-02-03_21-46-55.jpg

photo_2021-02-03_21-46-52.jpg

Orb(green tips) - I like the tuning! This is a pretty nice tuning, sounds nothing like H40 ;P Treble is very slightly peaky/shouty, and clarity is a bit muddy.

Orb(orange tips) - Sounds better now! Treble peaks are nearly gone now. :) It's a nice, smooth, lively-warm tuning, lacking some clarity and possibly some BA tonality issues. There's something fishy about the bass... It seems to be struggling when there's a lot of bass happening(taiko drums), and blurring the sound a bit. Or, there's just not a lot of accuracy in the bass to begin with. I think these sound pretty good, just a little clarity needed. Vocals are pretty nice. (Did not yet test the bonus pack of red and blue tips these 2 IEMs came with)

Fan(green tips) - Much lighter sound than Orb. Brighter, much clearer. There is rumble deep down. The detail on these is actually very good, but it rides that fine line of being too bright/sharp(0 hours burn-in). Bass is good, nothing lackluster or amazing. Probably a bit soft and lacking definition.

Fan(blue tips) - Softer treble, more bass(?). More balanced and full sounding. Yeah, this is very nice... Very crisp, clear detail, not too bright! Love the clarity! These are kicking the Orb's ass :\ Why, Orb, whyyyyyyyyyy... Bass maybe seems distant sometimes, and the treble balance is certainly boosted somewhere. I totally recommend these! They are basically the opposite tuning of Orb lol.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #2,003 of 13,712
Damn... H40 was gorgeous. Orb is gorgeous. Fan is gorgeous. Everything from Penon is so nice looking! X_X
photo_2021-02-03_21-46-55.jpg
photo_2021-02-03_21-46-52.jpg
Orb(green tips) - I like the tuning! This is a pretty nice tuning, sounds nothing like H40 ;P Treble is very slightly peaky/shouty, and clarity is a bit muddy.

Orb(orange tips) - Sounds better now! Treble peaks are nearly gone now. :) It's a nice, smooth, lively-warm tuning, lacking some clarity and possibly some BA tonality issues. There's something fishy about the bass... It seems to be struggling when there's a lot of bass happening(taiko drums), and blurring the sound a bit. Or, there's just not a lot of accuracy in the bass to begin with. I think these sound pretty good, just a little clarity needed. Vocals are pretty nice. (Did not yet test the bonus pack of red and blue tips these 2 IEMs came with)

Fan(green tips) - Much lighter sound than Orb. Brighter, much clearer. There is rumble deep down. The detail on these is actually very good, but it rides that fine line of being too bright/sharp(0 hours burn-in). Bass is good, nothing lackluster or amazing. Probably a bit soft and lacking definition.

Fan(blue tips) - Softer treble, more bass(?). More balanced and full sounding. Yeah, this is very nice... Very crisp, clear detail, not too bright! Love the clarity! These are kicking the Orb's ass :\ Why, Orb, whyyyyyyyyyy... Bass maybe seems distant sometimes, and the treble balance is certainly boosted somewhere. I totally recommend these! They are basically the opposite tuning of Orb lol.
I know it may be isn't fair, but can you provide a comparison between the Fan and FH3?

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #2,004 of 13,712
I will cover it in my review.
Do you have any specific models in your mind?
Leo+ and OS849.... I own OSG but I need a new one MMCX

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #2,005 of 13,712
Question for Orb owners: which cable pairing has been the best for you so far? Am thinking of copping an OS849.

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #2,006 of 13,712
Question for Orb owners: which cable pairing has been the best for you so far? Am thinking of copping an OS849.

OS849 2020
Yes, if you like Fantastic Bass texture, from sub bass to lower mids
Penon Mids signature kept in check.
I use the original Sedna earfit grey stem, for better trebles...
IMG_20210204_140046.jpg

Feb 4, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #2,008 of 13,712
IMG_3291-1.jpg

If someone says they can hear a difference between different cables, I will give them the benefit of the doubt. I'll have to draw the line, though, at entertaining the thought of "burning in" a cable. What do you think is happening? Are the atomic electron-nucleus attachments becoming more elastic? <Last statement is sarcasm. Sarcasm often does not transmit online and sometimes needs to be explicitly stated>

Feb 4, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #2,009 of 13,712
@ehjie
Earfit SHORT version are my favorite tips, regular are longer to me and with short i can get better isolation.
I Chose MS size after test S-M-L, but depends on your ears.

I'm waiting also Epro horn tips from MTMaudio.

efs.jpg

EPHS.jpgepro_horn_shaped_specs.jpg

Ear Tip Mod! Flipping the ear tips
The pair below, flipped Spin fits...

IMG_20210204_201524.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back