The PENON official thread
Jan 23, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #1,876 of 13,712
Finally arrived today. Let them burn in for the next few hours and then it's time for hours of music with the Fans. Quite excited :)

IMG_0057.jpeg

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #1,877 of 13,712
I've wondered this for a while now. A few popular reviewers with lots of followers get all the Linsoul stuff, but never seem to touch or even mention anything from Penon. Penon is slowly gaining a following though. As they say, the cream always rises to the top!
I once ask a certain "bad" reviewer,
why he didn't review any penon product,

"there is a lot of iem with similar sound signature out there why bother"

me: no, it's different, then I showed him a graph,

"from graph alone I like this one better, so I won't waste my money buying the penon one"

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #1,879 of 13,712
Just a short impression: Strong bass (mid-bass), very forward sounding, not super-airy but nevertheless little bit foward-shouty and fatiguing mids for my taste (only in louder volumes) in some tracks. I mostly listen to extrem metal, with more acoustic music they sound more relaxed.

Let's see how they sound after 100+ hours burn-in.

Good soundstage, separation and imaging.

Still prefer my FH3 over the Fans.

Edit: Tried some different tips now (Xelastecs, Spiral Dots, Final E) and I have a really strange issue.

The seal is quite strange, if they sit to deep, I don't have proper seal.
Also it's quite hard for me to get a good seal (usually I don't have that problem) and the most strangest thing is, when I move the IEM in my ear, the sound changes dramatically.

Normal fit and seal: quite dull sound.
When I push the shell into my ear: it opens up, gets airy.

Also I notice a strange clicking noise from the tip/nozzle, when moving the IEM in my ear.

They create some strange kind of suction, so every little move with the IEM in my ear result in a different sound. From very bassy and dull to less bass and airy. And sometimes it's just super quiet and dull when the suction is to strong.
But less suction results in no seal.

So overall I think Fan and I are not made for eachother sadly.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #1,880 of 13,712
One good fact about the Penon Fan, and mine have quite a few hours on them now, is they sound good through mobile phones. I have the Samsung S9 plus and the LG V30, and with the stock cable and L Spiral Dots, I get good volume and they are well driven. In fact I would rec these for use with mobile phones. I have used them through my iFi Hip-Dac and my HiBy R5 and there is only a small benefit to that. Excellent IEM for mobile phone use. There is one attribute of the Penon Fan I like very much. They have an real authority and are always in control of the music. Nothing wishy washy about the Fan and it has good timbre. Try the fantastic track by The HU....... 'Wolf Totem' offered to us by @Slater. Try it with the Fan. Plenty of impact....turn the wick up (not enough to damage your eardrums).

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #1,881 of 13,712

me: no, it's different, I showed him a graph,

"from graph alone I like this one better, so I won't waste my money buying the penon one"
He gave his verdict that penon iems are very similar sounding to a lot of other iems around? I have yet to encounter a iem sounding similar to Orb. That was a laughable response!

From graph alone he liked the other one better...nope, I'd like to stay away from his reviews. Serious doubt on credibility already.

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #1,882 of 13,712
Finally arrived today. Let them burn in for the next few hours and then it's time for hours of music with the Fans. Quite excited :)

IMG_0057.jpeg

These surely have to be some of the best looking IEMs for the price :sunglasses:

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #1,883 of 13,712
Just a short impression: Strong bass (mid-bass), very forward sounding, not super-airy but nevertheless little bit foward-shouty and fatiguing mids for my taste (only in louder volumes) in some tracks. I mostly listen to extrem metal, with more acoustic music they sound more relaxed.

Let's see how they sound after 100+ hours burn-in.

Good soundstage, separation and imaging.

Still prefer my FH3 over the Fans.

Edit: Tried some different tips now (Xelastecs, Spiral Dots, Final E) and I have a really strange issue.

The seal is quite strange, if they sit to deep, I don't have proper seal.
Also it's quite hard for me to get a good seal (usually I don't have that problem) and the most strangest thing is, when I move the IEM in my ear, the sound changes dramatically.

Normal fit and seal: quite dull sound.
When I push the shell into my ear: it opens up, gets airy.

Also I notice a strange clicking noise from the tip/nozzle, when moving the IEM in my ear.

They create some strange kind of suction, so every little move with the IEM in my ear result in a different sound. From very bassy and dull to less bass and airy. And sometimes it's just super quiet and dull when the suction is to strong.
But less suction results in no seal.

So overall I think Fan and I are not made for eachother sadly.

That problem with seal sometimes happen with me with other iems. I swap different tips and sizes to get the best fit. You can try that.

The strange clicking noise can be driver flex. It's normal, doesn't affect the performance. Happens in my Orb and Cu-KIS also.

That suction issue...well, I was initially uncomfortable with it when I started using semi custom iems, but then I got used to it. Now I cannot live without it. And yes, if you move the iem a bit so that the seal breaks and vacuum feeling lessens, then the soundsignature also changes. But normally in a secured position nothing happens.

Is it perhaps your first semi-custom shape iem? I had these issues with my first semi custom shape iem also.

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #1,884 of 13,712
That problem with seal sometimes happen with me with other iems. I swap different tips and sizes to get the best fit. You can try that.

The strange clicking noise can be driver flex. It's normal, doesn't affect the performance. Happens in my Orb and Cu-KIS also.

That suction issue...well, I was initially uncomfortable with it when I started using semi custom iems, but then I got used to it. Now I cannot live without it. And yes, if you move the iem a bit so that the seal breaks and vacuum feeling lessens, then the soundsignature also changes. But normally in a secured position nothing happens.

Is it perhaps your first semi-custom shape iem? I had these issues with my first semi custom shape iem also.
No, I have/had several different IEMs and I'm into IEMs since about 10 years now. Something like this never occurred to me.

Ok, with the Sony N3 I also had problems, didn't get any decent seal with good fit.

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #1,885 of 13,712
No, I have/had several different IEMs and I'm into IEMs since about 10 years now. Something like this never occurred to me.

Ok, with the Sony N3 I also had problems, didn't get any decent seal with good fit.
Strange...then I have no answer...maybe contact penon once to check if there's an issue with the construction of your set. Manufacturing defects, if any.

Jan 23, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #1,886 of 13,712

Yeah, this is BS. No excuse really. They get all kinds of obscure iems in for review. There is no good reason why they choose not to review anything by Penon, but it is what it is. Regardless, nice to see a thread dedicated to Penon becoming popular without hype by major video bloggers and reviewers.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #1,888 of 13,712
Jan 24, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #1,889 of 13,712

Which graph did you show?

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #1,890 of 13,712

Users who are viewing this thread

Back