The PENON official thread
Dec 12, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #1,321 of 14,143
Here you go, I have no idea how to match these but I did my best to have it make sense:
Volt vs EJ07.jpg
Since you've requested I'll rush out some impressions between these two first and get to the others later. Both on the graph and in listening I find the Volt far more coherent than the EJ07, bass mids and highs sound completely as one on the Volt, but disjointed on the EJ07. You can visually see this on the graph as well with the Volt showing smoother bass to mid and mid to high transitions. It's quite glaringly the most obvious difference, as it's a real strength on the Volt's and a real weakness on the Ej07. The Volts are possibly the most coherent of the tribrids I've heard, if not a close second to the Odin.

Bass is fuller on the Volt, there's more mid bass and overall it's more meaty and lush. EJ07 in comparison has slightly snappier bass response with the lift being mainly confined to the sub bass, bass quality is good on the EJ07 and this is the only area I feel it beats the Volts as the EJ07's bass is tighter and more textured. That's not to say that the Volt's bass is poor, in fact, the fuller presentation actually serves the overall signature very well, but it's simply not as compact as the EJ07, and overall just shy of great. Dynamics are good on both, extension is good on both.

Mids are no contest, hollow and tonally off on the EJ07, there's not enough lower mid presence, followed by a sudden logarithmic shaped pinna rise and high overall pinna gain, they were obviously trying to hit the Etymotic target but with the incoherence of their mixed driver design and shelved treble, it sounds like an Etymotic gone wrong. Mids on the Volt in comparison are the star of the show, with a lush, full presentation that's somehow not overly dense and still remains light on its feet. Top tier vocals, and by top tier I mean multi thousand dollar summit-fi top tier, Volt's can hang with the best of them in this department. Aside from those standouts, texturing, layering, tonal depth, note weight and dynamics are all excellent. If you like lush mids there's not much that's better regardless of price, but if you prefer a cleaner more analytical sound these probably won't be for you.

Treble is shelved on the EJ07 relative to the pinna hump, the anti sibilance dip at 6k which has no reason to exist on the EJ07's tuning doesn't help either, further sapping snap and hampering tonality of the mids. Extension is poor as well. The Volt's treble is a cherry on top of the whole sound signature. Smooth as can be, while retaining good sparkle and, not great, but serviceable extension. For most estats you can distinctly tell the textural difference from the BAs, but the Volt joins the MEST and Odin in the club of properly integrated estat treble. Extra coherent while still injecting a touch of that ethereal magic that the Sonion stats are famous for. Treble is definitely laid back and trebleheads should avoid, but for me, someone who simultaneously enjoys a darker, smoother treble presentation but still desires extension, the Volt is literally perfect. I can't think of anything better even if cost is no object.

Staging wise the two trade blows, the EJ07 is physically larger, Volt is more intimate but layers better. Both image very well.

In summary, since this has turned into almost full impressions, I'm really pleased with the Volt's tuning, it knows what it wants to sound like and confidently executes it. No wishy washy trying to hit every mark stuff here, just concisely done. If you want a warm, lush, mid centric IEM, this is easily one of the best options regardless of price. Mid heads rejoice!
this impression literally bugged me to hit the checkout button lol

Dec 13, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #1,322 of 14,143
any comparison between Volt and ierM9?

Dec 13, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #1,323 of 14,143
any comparison between Volt and ierM9?
I remember hearing the Volt to have a richer presentation, but both are pretty smooth. The M9 has barely any rough edges either. It's also more technical than the Volt in terms of staging, layering and resolution, but boomy sounding ala Sony's classic house sound.

Dec 13, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #1,324 of 14,143
I remember hearing the Volt to have a richer presentation, but both are pretty smooth. The M9 has barely any rough edges either. It's also more technical than the Volt in terms of staging, layering and resolution, but boomy sounding ala Sony's classic house sound.
any luck using Volt with big bore tips? My preference when wit warm sounding iem, i like it with big bore as it opens up for layering and better sounding overall to me. M9 doesnt really work due to treble attack. The attack is quite too much with big bore. U have penon orb, how does it stack up?

Dec 13, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #1,325 of 14,143
Oh well, the graph looks like something audio64 a6t.

Dec 13, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #1,326 of 14,143
any luck using Volt with big bore tips? My preference when wit warm sounding iem, i like it with big bore as it opens up for layering and better sounding overall to me. M9 doesnt really work due to treble attack. The attack is quite too much with big bore. U have penon orb, how does it stack up?

Unfortunately the Volt was borrowed! It belonged to @flu_fighter so Im not sure how it sounds when tip rolling

Dec 13, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #1,327 of 14,143

I think the M9 is still much better at technicalities than the Orb, but it's also not very unique. I find the Orb very engaging, and has an incredible level of detail for the genres it excels at, like electronic, ambient, new age, Lofi, RnB, hip hop among others.

Dec 13, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #1,328 of 14,143
I think the M9 is still much better at technicalities than the Orb, but it's also not very unique. I find the Orb very engaging, and has an incredible level of detail for the genres it excels at, like electronic, ambient, new age, Lofi, RnB, hip hop among others.
People here saying Volt should resolve better than Orb. And yes, i listen rnb ballad hiphop, korean genre specifically. That's why i wonder if i do better go for Volt. I had M9 before though

Dec 13, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #1,330 of 14,143
People here saying Volt should resolve better than Orb. And yes, i listen rnb ballad hiphop, korean genre specifically. That's why i wonder if i do better go for Volt. I had M9 before though
I think volt does resolve better than the Orb. It's very full and meaty, with a larger spectrum of detail, but the laid back nature makes you not realise that at the first listen. But they're different signatures. The Volt is more balanced, and the Orb is just very unique, with ethereal mids and a real solid low end.

Dec 13, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #1,332 of 14,143
Dec 13, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #1,333 of 14,143
Wish I could audition one first, before buying it.

how's the logistics in your place?
I could loan you the Spheres.
I'm just about 3-4 hours west from you...

Dec 13, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #1,334 of 14,143
how's the logistics in your place?
I could loan you the Spheres.
I'm just about 3-4 hours west from you...
Well, shipment from China is quite in the radar of the customs now. Where are you located? I am in India.

Dec 13, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #1,335 of 14,143
I use the Volt with the Alza Sedna regular tips, that's my usual go to tips to most iems, they work pretty well with the Volt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back