The PENON official thread
Feb 5, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #12,886 of 13,835
They arrived this morning, and even OOTB, I am liking them a whole lot, so you were quite right about these for me. I put the Cadmus 8w on with black liqueur tips, and tho I think it needs some burn, the immediate feeling is WOW, I'm going to like these a lot! I cheated and already tried your 2 settings - the bass setting is quite serious! Well done, TSMR!

Penon selling 2 amazing $400 iems right now...quattro and this new TSMR X! We are pretty lucky!

Looking forward to what you have to say once you dial those down with the right tips and cable. Dont be afraid to post your thoughts on the Tansio Mirai thread about em. There are plenty impressions already. By the way so you know the way the switches work. You can only use one switch at a time mix and matching dont work. I think it reverts to the biggest bass switch. It's not 3 switches for low mids and highs. Which was the traditional method of the switch mechanism for Tansio Mirai. It is 1 switch for 10 dbs of bass and about 2-3dbs of lower mids. 2 switch is the reference balanced tuning with about 7dbs of bass and the 3 switch is the least amount of bass for about 5dbs of bass focusing more on upper mids and treble. So its the bass end that changes the balancing. You are basically getting 3 bass switches which seems to be much more effective than I once thought. The variability of the TSMR-X is astounding once you figure it all out. With the right cable of course.

Also the way the switches are laid out is 123 and 123 on the left and right earpieces, you have to pay attention to the switches otherwise you're gonna get a bass imbalance from one side to the other.. It is not 123 and 321 like you would figure it would be.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #12,887 of 13,835
Looking forward to what you have to say once you dial those down with the right tips and cable. Dont be afraid to post your thoughts on the Tansio Mirai thread about em. There are plenty impressions already. By the way so you know the way the switches work. You can only use one switch at a time mix and matching dont work. I think it reverts to the biggest bass switch. It's not 3 switches for low mids and highs. Which was the traditional method of the switch mechanism for Tansio Mirai. It is 1 switch for 10 dbs of bass and about 2-3dbs of lower mids. 2 switch is the reference balanced tuning with about 7dbs of bass and the 3 switch is the least amount of bass for about 5dbs of bass focusing more on upper mids and treble. So its the bass end that changes the balancing. You are basically getting 3 bass switches which seems to be much more effective than I once thought. The variability of the TSMR-X is astounding once you figure it all out. With the right cable of course.

Also the way the switches are laid out is 123 and 123 on the left and right earpieces, you have to pay attention to the switches otherwise you're gonna get a bass imbalance from one side to the other.. It is not 123 and 321 like you would figure it would be.

The bass switches are incredibly effective as well as useful. Once you surf through as many sources as I do, you figure out real quick that bass is not always consistent from device to device. Sometimes you need more, sometimes you need less, the switches save the day.

Feb 6, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #12,889 of 13,835
Could anyone tell me if Penon bass cable puts Penon 10th closer to the signature of Sound rhyme dte900 or further apart in comparison to stock cable ? 🙏 Thanks
No cable can get the Penon 10th closer to DTE900 in sound or technicalities.

Due to driver tech they sound quite different. Both measure similar, but measurement don't show the slower bass of 10th or the faster bass of DTE900.

Do you want a energetic and technical set? DTE900

Do you want a slower and perhaps more analogue like sound? 10th

Some will like both and some maybe one of them only.

Feb 6, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #12,891 of 13,835
My Tansio Mirai X has become a bass cannon. John Martyn, 'Glory Box' on Amazon HD...deep, deep bass on the bass setting 1on, 2 off, 3 off... absolutely no EQ or dynamics.. Once the twin DDs open up over use, some of the deepest bass notes I've heard from an IEM. Part of an octave deeper than other IEMs. My mixed Copper and Silver XINHS cable with Penon Orange massive tips support this. This is a very different IEM. On the bass setting big, big sound.

Edit
Red Right Hand, Nick Cave 2011 Remaster...track from Peaky Blinders. Deep, Deep bass notes on the bass setting...I'm smitten. Staging also on the right tracks is very special. The DDs need quite some break in. This IEM is very cable and tip dependant, so it may take some time to get it to your taste. It will reward you greatly to get it right. A very special IEM.
I wouldn't base any opinions on first impressions with the Tansio Mirai X. While they sound good from the beginning, there is a whole process that will lead to them becoming the best they can be. They need a bit more attention than many an IEM. For bass lovers I would get a size of the Penon Orange tips a size larger. This is to keep the silicone dome able to get enough inner resonance space, to really call the bass out. For me as a lover of classical music, both Western and Indian, and heavy bass Blues and Rock, EDM, and Jazz, based on my life experiences of concerts and gigs, these satisfy. So this IEM has got 2 meaningful settings (probably 3 with the treble setting for many). The bass setting, for me, maybe not for others, is my most relevant setting that gives a simulation of being at my past concerts. With IEMs we only get a simulation of big speaker bass, just some ear rumble or some very low notes. To me this IEM after 50/60 hours, probably more, opens up the 2 x DDs substantially. With the right cable they are very musical. Don't treat them casually, give them attention. Even though a phone could drive them, I find my 4.4mm on my HiBy R6III, mid gain, has the right amount of juice to make them happy...and me too. Bass setting 1on, 2off, 3off will be for those who like their bass notes low. Setting 1off, 2on, 3off is the balanced setting. Still good bass and great string clarity for finesse with classical music. Most IEMs cannot get that low or such lovely thin violin notes. We could call these 'low note bass-head', not just 'thump' bass head. Spend time with them and you will love each other. If you don't give them attention they may pass you over. Right tips...right cable, right view, right effort, right concentration.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #12,894 of 13,835
I wouldn't base any opinions on first impressions with the Tansio Mirai X. While they sound good from the beginning, there is a whole process that will lead to them becoming the best they can be. They need a bit more attention than many an IEM. For bass lovers I would get a size of the Penon Orange tips a size larger. This is to keep the silicone dome able to get enough inner resonance space, to really call the bass out. For me as a lover of classical music, both Western and Indian, and heavy bass Blues and Rock, EDM, and Jazz, based on my life experiences of concerts and gigs, these satisfy. So this IEM has got 2 meaningful settings (probably 3 with the treble setting for many). The bass setting, for me, maybe not for others, is my most relevant setting that gives a simulation of being at my past concerts. With IEMs we only get a simulation of big speaker bass, just some ear rumble or some very low notes. To me this IEM after 50/60 hours, probably more, opens up the 2 x DDs substantially. With the right cable they are very musical. Don't treat them casually, give them attention. Even though a phone could drive them, I find my 4.4mm on my HiBy R6III, mid gain, has the right amount of juice to make them happy...and me too. Bass setting 1on, 2off, 3off will be for those who like their bass notes low. Setting 1off, 2on, 3off is the balanced setting. Still good bass and great string clarity for finesse with classical music. Most IEMs cannot get that low or such lovely thin violin notes. We could call these 'low note bass-head', not just 'thump' bass head. Spend time with them and you will love each other. If you don't give them attention they may pass you over. Right tips...right cable, right view, right effort, right concentration.
I'm really looking forward to the process, the X is showing nicely at 24 hours, but I can imagine with another couple of days, these drivers will start to come into their own, at least that is my experience with DD driven iems.

I immediately put ET Baroque tips on and they work great for me. I will try both the orange and black liqueur tips soon.

Cable should be fun exercise.

Feb 6, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #12,896 of 13,835
My Quattro review is taking days to do. Where it is so transparent that it shows (dramatically) the personality of every source and every cable used. The sound is bigger than the Serial and better timbre than the Penon Volt or ISN EST50. And while not perfect, the Quattro has some tricks that it does different than any IEM I have ever heard! Yet due to the 4 DDs is not as agile as some BA timbre drivers, but the Quattro has incredibly natural tone and a giant involving tone footprint.
10827BD0-2D73-4091-AC59-EB62ED312EB0.jpeg

Test cables......

Penon Totem
Penon ASOS
ISN GC4
ISN CS02
Penon Mix
Included cable
ISN Solar

........and while during my review only two cables were a no-go, but unfortunately you will have to wait for the review to find out which two!
Is your Totem wrapped in plastic? On the product page it looks a lot darker and as if it's fabric, without plastic around it

Feb 6, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #12,897 of 13,835
Is your Totem wrapped in plastic? On the product page it looks a lot darker and as if it's fabric, without plastic around it
The original Totem was this way, then a new model with modular plugs and the darker woven sleeves came out. Due to Penon not having to include the adapter plug system, with the 3 in 1 modular system it was $100.00 less money.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #12,898 of 13,835
The original Totem was this way, then a new model with modular plugs and the darker woven sleeves cams out. Due to Penon not having to include the adapter plug system, with the 3 in 1 modular system it was $100.00 less money.
I like the way yours looks a thousands times better. Also not a fan of fabric cables, so hard to clean

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #12,900 of 13,835
This Pure Copper, Pure Silver cable is very special. with the 10th. It is hefty though and is often on sale at under £30. I've got one on the ISN H40 too. The Penon PAC 480 is very good too for its price of $49 ish. Not good colour matches though.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.10.16441802RE8yXg
Can you (or anyone else) recommend something similar but with a modular connector (2.5,3.5,4.4mm)? I have a Kinera Ace that I like, but am curious about alternatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back