The PENON official thread
Nov 22, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #6,541 of 13,619
ePro has been a disaster for me, they collapse as you say @Dsnuts
Since the Dunu tips is cylindrical is it hard to get a good fit? Or is it more for a deep fit?

So far the Spinfit CP100(just wish there was a XL) or Azla SednaEarfit Xelastec and KBEAR 07 is my favorites.
Yeah, me too. The epro does not work for me....

Nov 22, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #6,543 of 13,619
I may bite the bullet and get the Obsidian. The OS133, even without the chin friction slider, is a great cable, but the Obsidian is a very tempting upgrade.
Obsidian is basically a high end copper cable with some gold cores. Gold cores colorize the sound from your IEMs and actually darken tonal character for IEMs. The Obsidian only uses a few gold plated cores among the 400 shares in conjunction with gold plated connectors and termination does enough to slightly darken brighter tones from an IEM ( rounds out edginess of treble for example) while increases body/ fullness, stage, adds a bit of texture and impact of an IEMs mids to bass character. It matches well with neutral and brighter IEMs and will enhance a bassy full bodied IEM to be bassier and meatier so know what your getting into before getting.

ISN S2 gets my vote for good matching cable for the Fan2 and it is cheaper too. Obsidian for folks that take a premium for warmth, naturalness, lush tonal character, fullness and impact for bass with a smoothness to trebles.

Nov 22, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #6,544 of 13,619
Epic description. I have those cables in the mail, hope to try them out with the Fan 2 soon.
Obsidian is basically a high end copper cable with some gold cores. Gold cores colorize the sound from your IEMs and actually darken tonal character for IEMs. The Obsidian only uses a few gold plated cores among the 400 shares in conjunction with gold plated connectors and termination does enough to slightly darken brighter tones from an IEM ( rounds out edginess of treble for example) while increases body/ fullness, stage, adds a bit of texture and impact of an IEMs mids to bass character. It matches well with neutral and brighter IEMs and will enhance a bassy full bodied IEM to be bassier and meatier so know what your getting into before getting.

ISN S2 gets my vote for good matching cable for the Fan2 and it is cheaper too. Obsidian for folks that take a premium for warmth, naturalness, lush tonal character, fullness and impact for bass with a smoothness to trebles.

Nov 23, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #6,545 of 13,619
1669145953927.png

They are called S&S tips. the grey marshmallow looking tips on the Left of this Dunu Talos display. I posted about these tips before but I will say it again. When Dunu sells these tips. Grab yourself a few sets of these. Substantial tips. Got word from Dunu rep they will be selling them. I have a feeling they will sell out as soon as they release them.

The material is very similar to Azla Crystal tips but the shape of these tips makes for excellent seal in the ear. Very substantial tips. They project sound a bit like the epro horns but is not prone to collapse inside the ear like epros. I have been using them on just about all the IEMs I am currently reviewing and they work great on everything. I have yet to try them on the volts will try them on it soon. But for now be on the look out for these tips.

Does the shape of these new tips make them work a bit like the inverted tip mod?

Nov 23, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #6,547 of 13,619
Dunu S&S eartips on Hifigo. Let's goooooooooo!!!

Far out! Gimme!! Gimmme!!

EDIT: ordered a set. I forgot that Hi-Fi Go’s shipping is steep. Regardless, I want to try these so away I go. I must say that the size for the Ls is VERY small @ 11.5mm, but I’m going to assume that they fit completely differently than a traditional teardrop shaped tip and reserve judgment until they get here. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #6,548 of 13,619
You have more choices here:relaxed:

https://penonaudio.com/dunu-ss-silicone-eartips.html

09E39CAFA256C18D59A0E25C75894FAE.png

Last edited:
PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Nov 23, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #6,550 of 13,619
Awesome. @Penon, love the flexibility in allowing us to choose any combination of sizes, just like with the Spirals.
Completely agree. I use two sizes depending on the depth of insertion of some IEMs. I also have a narrower left channel and in some brands I have had to wear one size less on the left. Only intermediate sizes were missing from Dunu, like Azla, that I usually wear an M/L. I have already ordered 9 pairs! :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #6,552 of 13,619
Ordered the tips.

My Fan2 should be delivered Friday.

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #6,553 of 13,619
Ordered the tips.

My Fan2 should be delivered Friday.
Fan2 is not the type of tuning that will wow a person on first listen so just be aware of that. But are the type that will reveal their finer qualities the more you listen to them. I actually changed my rating on them from 4.5 to a 5 star after I reviewed them. I realized they are the most neutral of all of the Penon IEMs and due to having a different tuning out of the Penon line up it was well deserved. Needless to say they ramp up well with better cables and sources. I am sure you will get the best of them. And those S&S tips are excellent on the Fan2.

Actually on everything I tried them on.

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #6,554 of 13,619
Fan2 is not the type of tuning that will wow a person on first listen so just be aware of that. But are the type that will reveal their finer qualities the more you listen to them. I actually changed my rating on them from 4.5 to a 5 star after I reviewed them. I realized they are the most neutral of all of the Penon IEMs and due to having a different tuning out of the Penon line up it was well deserved. Needless to say they ramp up well with better cables and sources. I am sure you will get the best of them. And those S&S tips are excellent on the Fan2.

Actually on everything I tried them on.
Its OK...Ive been wanting a neutral set for some time now.

Nov 23, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #6,555 of 13,619

In my quest to replace my defective OS133 I cut a deal with Penon and they’re sending me the ISN S2 instead at a moderate discount. 1) Penon is great. 2) Thanks for the advice. The S2 sounds like it’ll be a nice match/upgrade for the Fan 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back