The PENON official thread
Oct 26, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #6,061 of 13,725
I've been thinking about a Serial: enough subbass for me but maybe lacking some treble air and sparkle? Is there anything else in the Penon lineup that would satisfy my desire for subbass but add something at the top end? The orb or globe, perhaps? I can't recall if penon do 11/11 type sales. They only tend to discount their new stuff. I did have an ISN H40a while ago but found it a little hot in the lower treble.
Maybe you could share 1 of your fav tracks?
Right now the best treble is from the Fan 2.
The best sub bass is the Serial
Both hold some of the best Mids in this hobby.
They're very fluid, detailed, natural...

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #6,062 of 13,725
If you were stranded on an island, and had to choose an iem to live for the rest of your life, between penon and isn, which one would you choose and why?
The Volt Totem, DC06 and a Sat phone... :gs1000smile:

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #6,063 of 13,725
I'm buying the Sedna earfit short. From last night, I hear (and feel) mid bass out of the Earfit normal. It needs a shorter stem so I don't need to push them in...

Arriving Tuesday 01-Nov, so Amazon says
1666766159550.png

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #6,064 of 13,725
I haven't bought anything yet! I meant that I'd be happy to burn in before making a final decision. I'll look into the H50, kinda discounted ISN after my H40 experience. Maybe the Globe might be an answer?
Maybe can chime in later, only brought Fan 2, Serial and a guest pair H50...

Oct 26, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #6,065 of 13,725
Oct 26, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #6,066 of 13,725
I look forward to your thoughts on this triumvirate.

Favourite track: Peace Bird

<iframe style="border: 0; width: 350px; height: 470px;" src="https://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer...kcol=0687f5/tracklist=false/transparent=true/" seamless><a href="">Peace Bird EP by Genius Of Time</a></iframe>

1666771925938.png

The Serials don't disappoint on the sub-bass level, the Mids are natural, whilst up top is there, but not as loud as the bottom end - in slight sharp contrast to Detail head Fan 2 - lots of air, crisp, sparkle, 3d effects, excellent mids, Mid bass only - Not as visceral sub-bass coming from the Serial.
The Sedna earfit short is still to come. Up to what level of bass quantity the Fan 2 has to offer (the quality is exceptional for the money), this response will be on that day of arrival...

Oct 26, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #6,067 of 13,725
<iframe style="border: 0; width: 350px; height: 470px;" src="https://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer...kcol=0687f5/tracklist=false/transparent=true/" seamless><a href="">Peace Bird EP by Genius Of Time</a></iframe>

1666771925938.png
The Serials don't disappoint on the sub-bass level, the Mids are natural, whilst up top is there, but not as loud as the bottom end - in slight sharp contrast to Detail head Fan 2 - lots of air, crisp, sparkle, 3d effects, excellent mids, Mid bass only - Not as visceral sub-bass coming from the Serial.
The Sedna earfit short is still to come. Up to what level of bass quantity the Fan 2 has to offer (the quality is exceptional for the money), this response will be on that day of arrival...

Checking the tracking way to often on my Serial, all this good talk makes it harder to ignore.😅

Oct 26, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #6,068 of 13,725
@ehjie I figured the serial would present a good low end but wanted a little sparkle and air up top. I await the H50 comparison with interest.... Thank you for your efforts so far, much appreciated.

Oct 26, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #6,069 of 13,725
@ehjie I figured the serial would present a good low end but wanted a little sparkle and air up top. I await the H50 comparison with interest.... Thank you for your efforts so far, much appreciated.

Another example of how Visceral Serial Sub-bass is. One can feel that rumble, decay and its extension on this track. One of the best dynamic bass out there.
Kindly note I got the CD of this album, they're a bright album, with a superlative low end and very crispy top end - but again not a loud an output as the bottom end...

Oct 26, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #6,070 of 13,725
Checking the tracking way to often on my Serial, all this good talk makes it harder to ignore.😅
Btw @Leonarfd , I dedicate this track to you. :beerchug: . Enjoy the party level Bass on your Serials...

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #6,072 of 13,725
Grabbed the Serial today for portable duties when leaving for work. Reading all the comments on this thread recently about the Serial I decided to grab some quality time with this little beast and I am glad I did. Someone was comenting the other day earlier in the thread about the Serial not having proper treble? And that got me thinking. Now my unit has some crazy burn in time, like 300 hours, and I cannot think of another IEM that has changed so much with burn in....What got me thinking was the fact that I think the temptation would be there to think that because the Serial has 3DD, and no BA or EST driver for the treble that the treble would be somehow 'lacking', and indeed, on a 'raw' unit with no burn in I think that may actually be the case, but then I was thinking about the 3mm dedicated driver for the treble. Well, why wouldn't the Serial have proper treble? I am no audio engineer but it seems like a 3mm DD may actually have kick-ass treble, and I think it does. But, again, why the temptation to assume the treble would be inferiror? Well, sitting here in Starbucks (I have 4 hours to kill before my first client) and listening critically with my new, amazing, 8 wire copper cable and my Shanling M8, and I think the one thing that really strikes me about the Serial is the texture across the spectrum, and this texture carries through right up to the treble. Now, having said all that I do think that a case could be made for calling the Serial darkish. It certainly does not have the brightness of those other drivers...but when we say 'darkish' it sounds like a negative criticism, and I do not mean it in that sense. Perhaps the word Chirascuro would be better...the Serial certainly has great contrasts and these contrasts actually show great sophistication in the tuning. So within this 'contrasted' sound, the treble performs brilliantly. I am listening to Will it Go Round in Circles right now, and the cymbal crashes are perfect; not too forward or brash sounding like many 'bone conduction' drivers, and no 'forced air' or shimmer that many BA drivers can give you, but more than that, the quality of the treble is stunning to me. You can almost taste the metal of the cymbals, that's that texture thing. For me perfect treble should be unobtrusive, and the Serial presents an integrated, organic treble that performs its duties perfectly without forced air or brashness.:smile_cat:

20221026_110535.jpg

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #6,073 of 13,725
I'm guessing it's not that Serial is missing treble, it's just not as prominent in the sound signature.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #6,074 of 13,725
The Penon Globe now ships with your choice of 2.5mm/4.4mm or 3.5mm plugs. What this means is before you only had a choice of 3.5mm single ended or 2.5mm balanced, now there is an addition to be able to get a 4.4mm balanced connection with it!

https://penonaudio.com/penon-globe.html

I have updated my recent review to express this new development.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #6,075 of 13,725
I'm guessing it's not that Serial is missing treble, it's just not as prominent in the sound signature.
Sound signature is rather balanced to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back