The PENON official thread
Jun 12, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #46 of 13,696
Let me do a proper A/B with my FDX1 when I get home tonight. I can tell you FDX1 is more neutral in presentation vs the Orbs. Bass end hands down the Orbs. I like the bass end of the FDX1 but Orbs got more in the way of texture and depth to the bass end with a bit more impact as well. Mids are fuller more richer in tone treble end is not exaggerated like the FDX1 could be without the filter mods. FDX1 sounds less dimensional. Stage I will say the Orbs win there too but again I have to do a head to head comparison. FDX1 could be more tonally correct vs the Orbs warmer lush sound but for music enjoyment.

Warmer and lush with dimensional qualities is not a bad thing.

Jun 12, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #47 of 13,696
Let me do a proper A/B with my FDX1 when I get home tonight. I can tell you FDX1 is more neutral in presentation vs the Orbs. Bass end hands down the Orbs. I like the bass end of the FDX1 but Orbs got more in the way of texture and depth to the bass end with a bit more impact as well. Mids are fuller more richer in tone treble end is not exaggerated like the FDX1 could be without the filter mods. FDX1 sounds less dimensional. Stage I will say the Orbs win there too but again I have to do a head to head comparison. FDX1 could be more tonally correct vs the Orbs warmer lush sound but for music enjoyment.

Warmer and lush with dimensional qualities is not a bad thing.

That is why even being leader of "Team JVC" :) I couldn't really get behind the FD01/02 or FDX. Years of taking off some bass to fix some JVC heavy handedness and when they go and do it they go to far the other way. Would be nice if they did like the Orb and $250 and in between the old woody and FDX sound. Though maybe the FD with the GC4....:)

D's did you try Sphere with GC4 yet??

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #48 of 13,696
That is why even being leader of "Team JVC" :) I couldn't really get behind the FD01/02 or FDX. Years of taking off some bass to fix some JVC heavy handedness and when they go and do it they go to far the other way. Would be nice if they did like the Orb and $250 and in between the old woody and FDX sound. Though maybe the FD with the GC4....:)

Yea I concur. My favourite JVC is still HA-FX1200. I have even tried JVC flagship HA-FW10000 and it is too shouty. As for the FD01, it is thin and sharp sounding IMO.

Jun 12, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #49 of 13,696

The rich gets richer! GC4 adds that copper goodness with added gold which was a new one for me. It is like adding another layer of chocolate on a triple layer chocolate cake. Lol. Not the best match for the already musical Orb but some might like their richness to be over the top. I threw it on there more so to burn in both at once. Best bass I have heard to date using any cable for certain. Mids are meaty smooth yet detailed. Treble also sounds a touch smoother as well with excellent sense of space and stage. I prefer silver variants on the Orb so Penon got the pack in cable correct.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #50 of 13,696
Thanks @audio123 and @Dsnuts for your impression and advice!! Honestly the lack of reviews is the only thing holding me back on buying the Orb.
I’m in the hunt for an “end game”( I know...there is no end) and my budget right now and for a long in the future is within $250-$300. Had in mind T800 and Blessing 2 since in every review around they are compared with some of the TOTL and even when the reviewers do make clear they are not as good as... or not even better than the TOTL, they do get really close in some aspects .
I admire a $900-$1100 IEM that get close to some $1500-$2300 monsters!! But when you read about $300 and $320 monitors getting close to those monsters...those...those are my guys!!!! Is like getting the best for your money!!
Size and treble fatigue are my concerns about T800 and lack of bass is the concern for Blessing 2.
Sorry, I know this is about Penon Audio, could you guys post more?!?! 😉
Thanks!!

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #51 of 13,696
Thanks @audio123 and @Dsnuts for your impression and advice!! Honestly the lack of reviews is the only thing holding me back on buying the Orb.
I’m in the hunt for an “end game”( I know...there is no end) and my budget right now and for a long in the future is within $250-$300. Had in mind T800 and Blessing 2 since in every review around they are compared with some of the TOTL and even when the reviewers do make clear they are not as good as... or not even better than the TOTL, they do get really close in some aspects .
I admire a $900-$1100 IEM that get close to some $1500-$2300 monsters!! But when you read about $300 and $320 monitors getting close to those monsters...those...those are my guys!!!! Is like getting the best for your money!!
Size and treble fatigue are my concerns about T800 and lack of bass is the concern for Blessing 2.
Thanks!!

endgame at $300? best bet would be JVC FDX1 i think (if u like the signature), it holds its own well, good luck! :)

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #52 of 13,696
Thanks!!
I own many TOTL IEMs and can assure you that the T800 & Blessing 2 are nowhere close to TOTL level due to lack of refinement in all aspects. When you are approaching the 1000 USD mark, it is just scratching the surface of TOTL. Of course, I am comparing to good sounding TOTL IEMs because if bad sounding TOTL IEMs are being compared, they can easily be bettered by those that are significantly cheaper. At the end of the day, it really depends on your budget/preferred sound signature and most importantly, enjoy the music. Of course, your own tolerance level factors in as well. For example, JVC HA-FW10000 is too shouty in the midrange for me. Cheers! :)

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #53 of 13,696
The Orb has made me realize just how important passive isolation is to enjoying earphones in an outdoor environment. I have a lot of hybrids that don't isolate as well as they should and SQ takes a dive when outdoors. Not so with the Orbs. You can hear that lush detail all day long outdoors. These might isolate a bit too well. Lol.
Thanks a lot, Penon code worked! I join @HanselPA gratitude to @audio123 as well. Isolation is not the only thing that got my attention, sound-stage and clean treble that might actually be better than Blessing 2 one(I will find out soon:)).
Before folks around here think that I'm too crazy even for Head-fi, I've got to clarify that @Dsnuts impressions have high value for me, since Blessing 2, which he recommended to me based on my whining about H40, and it was bulls eye!🎯 To be fair, isolation of Blessing 2 was rather disappointing - substantially inferior to H40, even though BL2 fits tighter to my ears.
Both true, especially if used with bright sources like Amazon HD unlike Google music(that sounds divine with blessing, just not outside of home).

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #54 of 13,696
Thanks a lot, Penon code worked! I join @HanselPA gratitude to @audio123 as well. Isolation is not the only thing that got my attention, sound-stage and clean treble that might actually be better than Blessing 2 one(I will find out soon:)).
Before folks around here think that I'm too crazy even for Head-fi, I've got to clarify that @Dsnuts impressions have high value for me, since Blessing 2, which he recommended to me based on my whining about H40, and it was bulls eye!🎯 To be fair, isolation of Blessing 2 was rather disappointing - substantially inferior to H40, even though BL2 fits tighter to my ears.

Both true, especially if used with bright sources like Amazon HD unlike Google music(that sounds divine with blessing, just not outside of home).
Glad to be of help. Due to me owning many TOTL IEMs, my reference point for what I deem good sound is high. When I first tried the H40, I knew it will be a popular IEM. Now, for the Orb, I am impressed. Cheers! :)

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #55 of 13,696
Glad to be of help. Due to me owning many TOTL IEMs, my reference point for what I deem good sound is high. When I first tried the H40, I knew it will be a popular IEM. Now, for the Orb, I am impressed. Cheers! :)
Not to get too far OT, but what are your, say, three favorite TOTL IEMs that you’ve heard? How does the Orb compare to them? Many of us never get a chance to hear many TOTL IEMs

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #56 of 13,696
Not to get too far OT, but what are your, say, three favorite TOTL IEMs that you’ve heard? How does the Orb compare to them? Many of us never get a chance to hear many TOTL IEMs
Make it 5 - Aroma Ace, Custom Art FIBAE 7, Campfire Andromeda MW10, Dunu Luna, Acoustune HS1695 Ti. Of course, I have other flagship IEMs that I like too. I won't compare the Orb to them as it is just not in the same league. For the Orb, it presents very good value. Cheers!

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #57 of 13,696
DSC07230.JPG

Just for your eyes only. A 3 way. Haven't done a 3 way in a while.:ksc75smile:

So all 3 of these are trading punches via headphone splitter out of my Fiio M15. I figured it would be more fair if I used their stock cables. I had no idea where I kept my JVC box but I managed to find it stashed away behind a bunch of other boxes. Lol

In any case. The best stock cable that matches well sonically is the Orb and its 8 core SPC. If you are into upgrading your sonics via cable upgrade. Just know Penon gave you a strong clue into what type of cable matches well with the Orb in their stock cable.
Blessing 2 cable is not bad here and I have a feeling they included a copper cable to add a bit more low end to the sonic balancing of the Blessing2 so that was a decent choice. I actually prefer SPC cables on the Blessing 2 as well. Finally the FDX1 which I will be honest and say the stock OFC cable is a fail sonically. It does nothing for the sound of the FDX1. In fact actually limits how it sounds. Just about any SPC or copper cable is better than the stock cable.

OK now to the comparisons. Orb is the esiest to drive with the Blessing needing more volume to match. FDX1 is somewhere in the middle. The most treble emphasis goes to the JVC FDX1. Has to use filters on the nozzle to bring down the upper mid treble emphasis from the stock FD01 tuning. In any case it is also the most neutral tuned out of the 3. Looses out on stage to the other two and has the flattest sound out of the 3.

Again a good aftermarket cable does wonders for this phone. Reason why I kept them. This is the reason why I know the stock cable limits what it can do. It has the most tonally correct and best instrument timbre out of the 3 but if you like your sound with some dimensional qualities. Your not gonna get that with the FDX1 as much as the other two.

Blessing 2 has the widest stage out of the 3 but lacks a bit of height to the sonics making them sound abit laid back in presentation. Infact it flat out looses to the Orb in dynamic qualities in the sonics. Dont sound as rangy or as lush. Treble is clean for the blessing 2 and covers treble bands very well. The Blessing 2 is a by the numbers harmon curve tuning. The bass end is the weakest aspect of the Blessing2 What I mean by this is that bass has the least impact and while extended well dont have a realistic presence of lets say live music for example. The Orb is where it struts its stuff. Imaging is a bit better on the Blessing 2 but the Orb makes up for it with a rich tonal quality that is just pleasant to the ears. Orb has the least amount of treble energy out of the 3 but is clean and void of any treble grain or sharpness. Treble is non fatiguing and has just enough energy to not make it sound lacking. Is actually balanced well to the bass end. Vocals I would say the Orb wins followed by the Blessing 2 and then FDX1.

There is no question which of the 3 has the best bass. I am a bass head so know that I prefer music to have some bass. Blessing 2 has the cleanest mid section due to the neutralish bass which makes them sound a touch mid forward. Orb has more of a Wow effect when your listening to them the Blessing 2. It is the type that grows on a person. FDX1 to be honest I was close to selling it off but after some cable changes. It becomes another earphone all together.

Orb has a good height depth and stage. I am thinking the name itself might be a good indicator to the stage of the Orbs it is well rounded to go along with the a name.

Orb is the most colored sound out of the 3 I mentioned here. They are tuned a bit like a live venue. It has a lush dimensional quality to the sonics that really makes listening to music enjoyable. The other two has their strengths. FDX1 is more for critical listening and is the most tonally correct depending on the cable actually. Blessing2 is the most relaxed listen with a wide stage, the best instrument separation with a clean balanced sound. The Orb is excitement infused with a smooth lush quality to it that is very enjoyable and while it is not the most technical out of the 3. It gets musical right. Something that I have to use a $200 cable to add on the FDX1 for. Lol.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #58 of 13,696
Make it 5 - Aroma Ace, Custom Art FIBAE 7, Campfire Andromeda MW10, Dunu Luna, Acoustune HS1695 Ti. Of course, I have other flagship IEMs that I like too. I won't compare the Orb to them as it is just not in the same league. For the Orb, it presents very good value. Cheers!

Will make it my lifes work to find where you live.
1592025831380.png

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #59 of 13,696
Thanks!!

Ordered mine just now. Let's find out when I receive mine.
My daily driver is the Sora. i looked around, asked around & it's really, really tough to supersede this gem. It tonally sounds like that american IEM, w/ a small stage of course, less clear in the mids. But hey, it was only jpy. 2,500+ems shipping! To compare, or to match it w/ that usd1,800++iem is of course absurd.
In realistic terms, the Orb, if it sounds like a usd.600 IEM, then it should be great value for money...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back