The PENON official thread
Sep 25, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #5,716 of 13,671
The Fan sounds different to me on different days. I'll keep a track of listening volume in different sessions which I imagine is key. Definitely more "intense" than the Serial which is an easier listen. I think bass quality still goes to the Serial overall. I've been listening to the Fan for an extensive grading session tonight. About to move over to either the Serial or tuning-foam dampened BL03 to make mental notes.

Sep 26, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #5,717 of 13,671
050A1F7C-E2B0-4952-93C1-4C4C807FC21D.jpeg

Vortex + Vita (Venture Electronics)

Well, damn. I haven’t been this excited since I got the Vortex. What an aptly named pair.

I thought the Vortex was sorted with the OS849. I’ve said it before, the OS849 is plenty fun - rich, lush mids, excellent dynamics - and a superb match with the Vortex sonically.

But the only way to describe Vita is, it brings the Vortex to life. When it never even sounded dead to begin with.

Imaging, separation and layering all get a boost. That alone is well worth the price of admission. Instruments and musicians are more vividly situated on the stage. Mids are sweeter, clearer, more vivid. I hear more detail in recordings, instruments sitting low in the mix, crowd atmosphere. More stick energy. Everything feels snappier, timbrally more accurate. Just breathtaking. Especially with live recordings. I almost don’t care what I’m listening to anymore. Just letting it play straight through albums for hours.

As a bonus, the Vita cable is soft, supple, lighter, thinner and altogether more portable than the OS849. And it coils well and doesn’t feel like it’s going to tangle.

Oh and the price? $70. It seems folks of late have been discovering Vortex cable pairings that they love. But if by any chance anyone is still undecided or exploring options, the Vita is an insane steal.

I’m just rambling now but I have a hunch it will pair well with the other Penons as well and I mean to try that out at some point… when I manage to separate them from the Vortex, that is.

Might help to remove Vortex from ears first…

I’m still digging my Vortex + VE Vita pairing so much that I picked up its big brother, the Standard DIC, as well. So here it is. For anyone who might be wondering about VE’s other offering at twice the price, here are some impressions.

47759C92-AA61-45A6-BE4D-84F2B154DEF7.jpeg

Tl;dr: I bought both cables at full price with my own money… and preferred the cheaper one.

The Standard DIC (= dual insulated copper) is anything but standard. It’s clearly better technically, and better than a number of the other $100+ cables flooding the chifi market now. But… it’s still the Vita that has that magic sauce with the Vortex.

Quick notes with the Vortex:

SDICVita
Sub bass extends deeper
More control, layering & resolution
Darker background
More shimmer
Comes across as livelier, more engaging

Ergonomically, the Vita is the better fit for Vortex as well - it’s such a light, portable pairing. I don’t object to a chonky cable that sounds good but I love how I can just throw the Vortex + Vita on my ears and forget about them.

So yes, some folks may like how the SDIC plays with the Vortex but for me, the Vita gets to keep its job.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #5,718 of 13,671
Sep 27, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #5,719 of 13,671
From Day 1, I have been amazed by Vortex, and with time it has grown into an absolute fondness. Vortex is irreplaceable for me now. Read below to find out my full impression:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-vortex.25936/review/29273/

20220715_140238.jpg
Question for a point of clarification: In your + and - you give a pro to a good soundstage width and above average depth, but describe the presentation as intimate. Those characteristics are incongruous in my mind. Your description of the soundstage reads as more average; Neither intimate, nor expansive. How do you find a soundstage wide and deep, but intimate at the same time?

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #5,720 of 13,671
Question for a point of clarification: In your + and - you give a pro to a good soundstage width and above average depth, but describe the presentation as intimate. Those characteristics are incongruous in my mind. Your description of the soundstage reads as more average; Neither intimate, nor expansive. How do you find a soundstage wide and deep, but intimate at the same time?
Often it depends on which part of the FR - for example singers close by, but rumbles or the tinkling of bells far out.

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #5,721 of 13,671
Often it depends on which part of the FR - for example singers close by, but rumbles or the tinkling of bells far out.
To me, that's more about the imaging and layering. In my opinion, the soundstage is consistent: It is the space in which you can hear sound. What the sound does inside of that area is, where you locate the sound in that space is not the same thing.

Sep 28, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #5,722 of 13,671
@rattlingblanketwoman has pointed out correctly. I have heard a lot of iems which has the midrange distant, thereby creating a very good depth, but often felt flat because the treble felt at a same plane with the midrange. In case of Vortex, the treble definitely does not feel to be in a same plane with the midrange, the midrange was forward which created an intimate presentation, but the treble was placed at a respectable distance to induce the feeling of an above average depth.

Sep 28, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #5,728 of 13,671
Vortex has been my goto since I got it. If there’s an upgrade to this type of sound, I’m all over it.
TBH, the only upgrades Vortex needs are a bit more space between the notes, and a bit more stage height. And BAM! One of the Best DD IEMs ever!

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #5,729 of 13,671
On the Vortex, did someone here try covering the vent with micropore tape after removing stock filter? If so can you tell how it worked out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back