The PENON official thread
Sep 30, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #5,746 of 13,533
I can't select cable configuration or shipping method on the product page, anyone else have this problem?
I had the same problem yesterday ordering vortex, if you select what you want even if you can't see and then add to cart you will find what you've chosen

Sep 30, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #5,747 of 13,533
Penon VORTEX
Penon SERIAL
Penon CS819 Cable
Reviews to follow in a few.
DSC_0098.jpegqwert.jpeg

DSC_0096.jpeg21235244365.jpeg

DSC_0028.jpegnew.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #5,748 of 13,533
Sep 30, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #5,750 of 13,533
I have been experimenting with the CS819 and truthfully......I think it's a special deal.

https://penonaudio.com/penon-cs819.html

DSC_0005.jpegcable 3.jpeg

The thing is it all depends on your application. Meaning I have one cable.....the Hansound Zen (pure OCC)...I paid $160.00 and nowadays they are even asking more for it, but in use with some IEMs it's just too dark. In that regard the CS819 is actually better with some uses. Also amazingly you can hear the affects of the new adapter with it.

https://penonaudio.com/penon-os133-audio-adapter.html

The adapter actually colors or darkens the tone by a single shade while still utilizing the imaging inherent in the CS819. The OS133 Adapter is twice the cable (strands) as the regular OS133 cable, seemingly adding a touch of authority? What the adapter is.....is any connection you want. But mine is 4.4mm into 4.4mm output. So it goes in-front of the CS819 cable keeping the imaging and spacial characteristics but adding (maybe degrading) lol.........a color and a little weight. Basically every item in the signal chain makes a difference, some more, some less. I have started also trying the adapter with other brighter cables (also) with success at times, but it depends (ultimately) on the IEM you’re using it with.

DSC_0003.jpegcable.jpeg
DSC_0004.jpegcable 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #5,751 of 13,533
I have been experimenting with the CS819 and truthfully......I think it's a special deal.

https://penonaudio.com/penon-cs819.html

DSC_0005.jpegcable 3.jpeg

The thing is it all depends on your application. Meaning I have one cable.....the Hansound Zen (pure OCC)...I paid $160.00 and nowadays they are even asking more for it, but in use with some IEMs it's just too dark. In that regard the CS819 is actually better with some uses. Also amazingly you can hear the affects of the new adapter with it.

https://penonaudio.com/penon-os133-audio-adapter.html

The adapter actually colors or darkens the tone by a single shade while still utilizing the imaging inherent in the CS819. The OS133 Adapter is twice the cable (strands) as the regular OS133 cable, seemingly adding a touch of authority? What the adapter is.....is any connection you want. But mine is 4.4mm into 4.4mm output. So it goes in-front of the CS819 cable keeping the imaging and spacial characteristics but adding (maybe degrading) lol.........a color and a little weight. Basically every item in the signal chain makes a difference, some more, some less. I have started also trying the adapter with other brighter cables (also) with success at times, but it depends (ultimately) on the IEM you’re using it with.

DSC_0003.jpegcable.jpegDSC_0004.jpegcable 2.jpeg
The use of an OS133 adapter to color / darken the sound is kind of interesting! I am going to order one to experiment on this.

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #5,752 of 13,533
The use of an OS133 adapter to color / darken the sound is kind of interesting! I am going to order one to experiment on this.
DSC_0045.jpegqwert.jpeg
DSC_0044.jpegqwertyu.jpeg
DSC_0043.jpeg12345.jpeg
DSC_0048.jpegqewrrtytuy.jpeg

Well, I am putting together a stand alone review which should surface in a few days. I am getting ahead of my self talking about it? :)

The copper probably has the most influence to change to sound, than the silver additive? But if you are doing a heat festival.......and mixing a hot source and high-pitched toned IEM playback together and like it, but wanted slight added authority and splash of dimness thrown across the whole mess, well then yes, it has a purpose. But why not rotate in a different cable.........there is a truth in that every part of the signal chain forces an influence. But be warned the 4.4mm X 4.4mm is 26 grams in weight........so there is that. Not sure if good for out and about.......it's giant!

Edit:
Just finishing up my OS133 Adaptor Cable review and it turns out there are limits to what it can do. Where it seems to make more difference with less extreme uses, like trying to mix a bright IEM with a bright cable.....it (at times) only contains so much power to affect stuff, and can't change the tone drastically, meaning the bright IEM and bright cable will still remain too bright in the end. Yet in medium well rounded tone use...........it does have the ability to show a noticeable difference. So really it depends on your whole set-up, the tone of your DAP, the tone of the IEM and ultimately the tone of your cable, if it would be able to cause a change. It's a situation by situation style of use, and it does not end as a fix-all with consistent response tone with every use.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #5,753 of 13,533
Sound Demo of 3 of my favorite IEMs Penon Orb, TRI I3 Pro, Hifiman RE800.

The Orb is a unique IEM due to its BA and DD in tandem without crossover. The shell is absolutely gorgeous.
The I3 Pro is one of my long listening sets. Plenty of bass, still enough details up top, comfy fit. A job well done by TRI.
The RE800 is my go to bright set. Great for vocal, ambient, bass light tracks. I bought it on Amazon for around 117€ out of curiosity and kept it. The original price was around 800€ if I'm correct?

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #5,754 of 13,533
DSC_0044.jpegqwqwqwq.jpeg
DSC_0054.jpeg
DSC_0043.jpegade.jpeg
DSC_0001.jpegwrteq.jpeg

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #5,755 of 13,533
Sound Demo of 3 of my favorite IEMs Penon Orb, TRI I3 Pro, Hifiman RE800.

The Orb is a unique IEM due to its BA and DD in tandem without crossover. The shell is absolutely gorgeous.
The I3 Pro is one of my long listening sets. Plenty of bass, still enough details up top, comfy fit. A job well done by TRI.
The RE800 is my go to bright set. Great for vocal, ambient, bass light tracks. I bought it on Amazon for around 117€ out of curiosity and kept it. The original price was around 800€ if I'm correct?

I love RE800 too, also picked up for around that price on Amazon - been tempted to buy another for backup!

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #5,756 of 13,533
Penon Audio SERIAL

DSC_0046.jpegqwetrt.jpeg

DSC_0048.jpegtwo.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #5,758 of 13,533
I have small ears, and would like a comfortable and musically immersive iem, which one do you recommend?

isn h40, penon orb, serial, or globe?
For small ears, I'd recommend the unlisted Vortex - a very small and comfortable shell. Can't remember for H40, but the Globe is smaller than the Serial after that I'm pretty sure - although perhaps not for depth.

There are some good photos posted earlier on with the line-up side by side - facing the faceplates, but also in profile to show how far they may stick out.

Oct 2, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #5,759 of 13,533
If your into vinyl records, reel to reel, analogue cassettes - you must have an Orb in your collection.
They're smooth all the way to the relaxed treble, perfect for trad. jazz, pop standards, ambient, chill hop.
Sedna earfit the standard grey stem tips seem to be besties with the Orbs.
Other tips that work very well include Spiral Dots original, Spiral dots ++, Azla crystal.

Each Penon release complement each other, not boxing out against one another as the Serial has proven (again).
I may have the Volt - but the Serial, if there is such an expression "giant killer" - if this truly exist, then the Serials should be IN THIS LIST...
1647519686553.png

This should help with overall size, but if you look at the top right (on a desktop browser at least) and click "See full thread gallery..." there are various other comparison shots. I guess the Orb is fairly compact then!

Oct 3, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #5,760 of 13,533
I have small ears, and would like a comfortable and musically immersive iem, which one do you recommend?

isn h40, penon orb, serial, or globe?
I have no experience with the Orb, but I just took out the ISN H40 and held it next to the Globe, SERIAL. The SERIAL is by far chunkier than all, but the SERIAL has an ever so slightly shorter nozzle. The Globe and ISN H40 are really exactly the same length, but here’s the thing....the Globe is way, way skinnier than the H40. So while in pictures the Globe looks to be extra long, it’s not, that’s an optical illusion. :) Notice how big the 2-pins are in comparison. I personally find all fit fine and I have medium small ears. Even though the Globe looks long in relation to overall size, it’s not heavy at all which makes any overhang inconsequential. None of the ones I have would be considered large by any stretch of the imagination, except for the SERIAL, maybe? The SERIAL boarders on large, maybe, but it’s not heavy at all!

That’s the thing, out of all the Penon and ISN I’ve tried, none would be considered large, they are all medium, though the VORTEX is super small! But it’s shallow too? It’s the smallest by a long shot, of the ones I’ve tried.
2FCE6D9E-D434-4BF7-9BA2-77AD137F0714.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back