The PENON official thread
Jul 23, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #5,312 of 13,710
DSC00112.JPG

Sipping on some Coffee on a hot July day. Listening to some optimized Serial action amped. If you haven't tried amping the Serials. I highly recommend it. It is brilliant beyond words listening to this exact track.

Can I get some Serial luv up in here? Love how good the Vortex sounds on the signature here. Where the Serial has a one up on the Vortex is width of stage. These things expand like crazy for head stage using an amp.

Cheers, I also have a short Serial session in between permanent Vortex operation.

1658603155661.jpeg

Listening rec, Eric Clapton - Lay Down Sally

Jul 23, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #5,313 of 13,710
Penon really managed to do something different with the Vortex but remain true to their full treatment of the midrange.

I love my set and I'm in the middle of writing a review of it. Also considering getting the Serial next month for when things call for a fuller subbass.

Yes thats exactly what I was thinking when listening last night - it has sufficiently unique tuning to warrant keeping, I can't draw a straight line to another more expensive DD and say its better. Very glad I did decide to have another listen!

Jul 23, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #5,315 of 13,710
Listening now with XINHS, sounds fantastic - I can't say how it compares if at all to stock as I've not used stock yet! The XINHS cable is incredibly light and comfortable with the small Vortex shells, a perfect match.

XINHS graphene always caught my eye. I've just been waiting for a chrome/metal IEM to match it up with.

I'm currently using Moondrops new Line T cable (6N single crystal copper litz) which is a great matchup. Lightweight, very revealing and seems to add greater height to the staging than stock.

20220723_211710.jpg

Jul 23, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #5,316 of 13,710
Listening now with XINHS, sounds fantastic - I can't say how it compares if at all to stock as I've not used stock yet! The XINHS cable is incredibly light and comfortable with the small Vortex shells, a perfect match.

Gave this a go with my 8-core XINHS graphene and it is indeed a good pairing. I can’t compare it with stock as I barely used it, but compared with the excellent OS849 which is permanently on the Vortex, I hear more defined spaces between notes with the XINHS graphene. The OS849 still brings better dynamics and impact.

I don’t have the 4-core though. Is there a significant difference between the two?

Do the pins go all the way into the IEMs with your cable?

For what it’s worth, yes, with the OS849. With the XINHS graphene, not quite but almost - not enough for me to be significantly concerned.

Sipping on some Coffee on a hot July day. Listening to some optimized Serial action amped. If you haven't tried amping the Serials. I highly recommend it. It is brilliant beyond words listening to this exact track.

Can I get some Serial luv up in here? Love how good the Vortex sounds on the signature here. Where the Serial has a one up on the Vortex is width of stage. These things expand like crazy for head stage using an amp.

The Serial really does open up with more power.

Try the opening of this if you feel like giving your subwoofers some exercise. The Serial just roars.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #5,317 of 13,710
Gave this a go with my 8-core XINHS graphene and it is indeed a good pairing. I can’t compare it with stock as I barely used it, but compared with the excellent OS849 which is permanently on the Vortex, I hear more defined spaces between notes with the XINHS graphene. The OS849 still brings better dynamics and impact.

I don’t have the 4-core though. Is there a significant difference between the two?

4 core is much thinner and lighter, surprised at how much. From an SQ perspective, I can't say as my 8 core is MMCX. I might pick up the OS849 too.

Jul 23, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #5,318 of 13,710
4 core is much thinner and lighter, surprised at how much. From an SQ perspective, I can't say as my 8 core is MMCX. I might pick up the OS849 too.
Hey dear music bro,
did you check out twitch? It`s much more than a gaming channel:
I know you have a family and all but the live sets are amazing!
Let me recommend a few. If you dont like em just call me an ass.
DJ Taucher:
https://www.twitch.tv/taucher66
House all day:
https://www.twitch.tv/defectedrecords
Techno/(House:
https://www.twitch.tv/sympulsmusic
https://www.twitch.tv/lost_in_house
https://www.twitch.tv/djredfin
I'll keep the last verdict to myself....because I'll recommend more in the future.

Jul 24, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #5,319 of 13,710
Hey dear music bro,
did you check out twitch? It`s much more than a gaming channel:
I know you have a family and all but the live sets are amazing!
Let me recommend a few. If you dont like em just call me an ass.
DJ Taucher:
https://www.twitch.tv/taucher66
House all day:
https://www.twitch.tv/defectedrecords
Techno/(House:
https://www.twitch.tv/sympulsmusic
https://www.twitch.tv/lost_in_house
https://www.twitch.tv/djredfin
I'll keep the last verdict to myself....because I'll recommend more in the future.

Thank you, I'll have a listen!

Jul 24, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #5,320 of 13,710

20220723_203859.jpg
I have not had good experiences with those cables. In my case, I bought two XINHS graphene 8 cores a long time ago, one in 2 pin and the other in mmcx. I think it was the launch offer. My connectors are quite different and simpler looking. I wasn't a cable believer yet.

I remember it was a bit of a disappointment, because it was no improvement on the stock cable on the CA Solaris I wanted to replace at that time. It was placed in Blessing 2 Dusk for some time. I tried it later on the Serial, and it killed all the percussive textures that I love so much about the Serial. That simple fact made me discover that there really was a difference between cables... and being a believer. Another cable with graphene, such as the ISN G4, is the one I have put in the Serial and I am delighted with the result. Now the XINHS is set to 7Hz Timeless and I'm happy. I have heard many experiences, good and bad with this brand, so I am glad that it goes well for you. I will try it in the Vortex when it arrives (yes, they are still in customs)

Jul 24, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #5,321 of 13,710
DSC00112.JPG

Yeahhhhh.... amplified Serials

photo_2022-07-24_11-15-46.jpg

Jul 24, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #5,322 of 13,710
Jul 24, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #5,323 of 13,710
I have not had good experiences with those cables. In my case, I bought two XINHS graphene 8 cores a long time ago, one in 2 pin and the other in mmcx. I think it was the launch offer. My connectors are quite different and simpler looking. I wasn't a cable believer yet.

I remember it was a bit of a disappointment, because it was no improvement on the stock cable on the CA Solaris I wanted to replace at that time. It was placed in Blessing 2 Dusk for some time. I tried it later on the Serial, and it killed all the percussive textures that I love so much about the Serial. That simple fact made me discover that there really was a difference between cables... and being a believer. Another cable with graphene, such as the ISN G4, is the one I have put in the Serial and I am delighted with the result. Now the XINHS is set to 7Hz Timeless and I'm happy. I have heard many experiences, good and bad with this brand, so I am glad that it goes well for you. I will try it in the Vortex when it arrives (yes, they are still in customs)

I’ve had nothing but good experiences with XINHS’s service. I’ve had their graphene 8-core for a while now but mostly haven’t heard it make a significant difference to sound quality with the pairings I’ve tried. So I haven’t talked about it much, but thought this one made enough of a difference to be worth noting.

74799291-6CA2-4DE6-BE0F-3D112D4C71A3.jpeg

I also revisited the CS819 (the stock cable) with the by now well burned in Vortex and am happy to say my impressions are better this time and I’d be happy to use it if I didn’t have the OS849 or a better cable.

Notes

XINHS graphene - more space between notes compared to the OS849 but also faster decay, rolled off highs; less dynamics and punch.

CS819 (stock) - more treble than the graphene but still not as cohesive as the OS849. Dynamics about the same as the graphene (in both cases it’s more evident with weaker sources and is largely mitigated by amping.)

Bonus round:

OS133 - surprisingly better dynamics than the other two budget options. But (also surprisingly) softer note edges than the other two - “killed the percussive textures” as you put it. I don’t know if burn in will help.

So, back to the OS849 for the Vortex.

Jul 24, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #5,325 of 13,710
I’ve had nothing but good experiences with XINHS’s service. I’ve had their graphene 8-core for a while now but mostly haven’t heard it make a significant difference to sound quality with the pairings I’ve tried. So I haven’t talked about it much, but thought this one made enough of a difference to be worth noting.

74799291-6CA2-4DE6-BE0F-3D112D4C71A3.jpeg

I also revisited the CS819 (the stock cable) with the by now well burned in Vortex and am happy to say my impressions are better this time and I’d be happy to use it if I didn’t have the OS849 or a better cable.

Notes

XINHS graphene - more space between notes compared to the OS849 but also faster decay, rolled off highs; less dynamics and punch.

CS819 (stock) - more treble than the graphene but still not as cohesive as the OS849. Dynamics about the same as the graphene (in both cases it’s more evident with weaker sources and is largely mitigated by amping.)

Bonus round:

OS133 - surprisingly better dynamics than the other two budget options. But (also surprisingly) softer note edges than the other two - “killed the percussive textures” as you put it. I don’t know if burn in will help.

So, back to the OS849 for the Vortex.

Good to know, I've still not spent time really with Vortex - but planning to during the coming week and will roll a few cables and see how I go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back