The PENON official thread
Jul 12, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #5,251 of 13,705
Vortex received.
They look nice.
As said, they are pretty small and light weight.
The fit is great but isolation not so good.
First listening : they are very balanced, with nice and precise highs, umpactfull bass.
Mids are not the fullest I heard, but that's what I prefer :wink:
First (very) good impression

Now it's burning time...
Thats super interesting because I think the mids specifically lower mids are a bit too full for me. I've been tip rolling and I am having a hard time finding a good balance for the music I listen to. If I use longer wide bore tips the vocals are too forward for my liking and it lacks the sub bass I would like. If I use longer narrow bore tips I get the sub bass but the lower mids get to be too much. Now im trying very short wide bore tips (Final E TWS tips) which pushes the vocals back a bit which is nice.

On a positive note, the upper mids and treble are very nice and never get sibilant or harsh for me. These are very good IEMs but unfortunately I think they just aren't my preferred sound profile. I've only put maybe 15 hours on them so I will wait until 25 before I make any decisions on if they are staying or going. At the moment these are not replacing the Serial's for me

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #5,252 of 13,705
vortex.jpg
vortex 1.jpg
vortex 2.jpg
vortex 3.jpg

This thing is tiny yet has a big eveloping sound (on N6ii-ti).
digging its neutral warm-ish tonality...

Jul 13, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #5,253 of 13,705
Still enjoying my Vortex a great deal. Sounds lovely out of most sources. Such a large, spacious sound that respects the original recording. I've moved back to the KBear 07 tips for neutrality but the 08s have an appeal in warming the tonal profile and softening edges for longer/easy listening.

Jul 13, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #5,260 of 13,705
Huh, interesting to see the Globe and the Volt have very similar squigglies going by tgx78's squiggly database. Basically identical below ~1.5kHz. Out of curiosity, has anyone here gone from the Globes to the Volt and felt like it was a pretty direct upgrade? I'm very obviously not in the market for a new IEM anytime soon lol, but in a year or two, who knows.

Jul 13, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #5,261 of 13,705
Huh, interesting to see the Globe and the Volt have very similar squigglies going by tgx78's squiggly database. Basically identical below ~1.5kHz. Out of curiosity, has anyone here gone from the Globes to the Volt and felt like it was a pretty direct upgrade? I'm very obviously not in the market for a new IEM anytime soon lol, but in a year or two, who knows.

I would consider them a direct upgrade. Volts are the opitome of the Penon house sound well only seconded by the Legends but it is the Volts that continues to use a dynamic for its bass presentation, which I kinda missed on the Legends..Volts to me sounds more traditional to what Penon has been tuning for the Spheres then the Orbs and Globes the next step is indeed the Volts. What graphs don't show you is just how dimensional and expansive a sound is. As anaolgus as the Globes mids are, imagine two of those Sonion BAs firing off in unison for the mids. Makes a difference for imaging and sound separation. There is a reason why the Volts cost more than double what you paid for.

Of course diminishing returns means your not going to get double the sound quality of course but everything you like about that Globe sound will be fleshed out more so on the Volts.

Jul 13, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #5,262 of 13,705
Can one of you guys/gals elaborate with a comparison between the S12 and the Vortex. I have the S12 and want to know if the Vortex offers a big enough diff. to warrant adding to my collection. Thanks in advance.
I have both with me currently, and I will provide a short comparison tomorrow, along with my first impression.

Jul 13, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #5,263 of 13,705
I would consider them a direct upgrade. Volts are the opitome of the Penon house sound well only seconded by the Legends but it is the Volts that continues to use a dynamic for its bass presentation, which I kinda missed on the Legends..Volts to me sounds more traditional to what Penon has been tuning for the Spheres then the Orbs and Globes the next step is indeed the Volts. What graphs don't show you is just how dimensional and expansive a sound is. As anaolgus as the Globes mids are, imagine two of those Sonion BAs firing off in unison for the mids. Makes a difference for imaging and sound separation. There is a reason why the Volts cost more than double what you paid for.

Of course diminishing returns means your not going to get double the sound quality of course but everything you like about that Globe sound will be fleshed out more so on the Volts.

Interesting! Nice to know I'll have a pretty easy upgrade path later on if I feel the need to try something a bit more expensive.

That's a big if, though. Still getting used to them, but the Globes are definitely sounding pretty damn good right now.

Jul 13, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #5,264 of 13,705
Interesting! Nice to know I'll have a pretty easy upgrade path later on if I feel the need to try something a bit more expensive.

That's a big if, though. Still getting used to them, but the Globes are definitely sounding pretty damn good right now.

The one aspect about Penon pricing is that it is a fairly safe bet whatever they price their earphones at, is a good indicator of how they perceive a sound value.

I doubt they will ever sell an earphone that will not live up to a price point of the sale price is my point. Though the Vortex just based on sound could have easily sold for $300 imo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back