The PENON official thread
Dec 30, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #4,066 of 13,781
Apologies I’m a little new here, I own a fiio FD3 and am looking to upgrade. My original choice was going to be the KATO, and after they discontinued the matte version the BQEYZ Autumn was on my list. Came across a positive review for the Yanyin Aladdin then stumbled onto the Penon Serial which also seems like a good choice. I returned a Fiio FH3 for coherency and timbre issues, and settled on the Fd3. It is my favorite IEM to date, but I seek tighter bass and more resolving/extended treble while maintaining a natural sound/timbre.

If anyone could provide a comparison between Serial, Aladdin, BQEYZ Autumn, and the FD3 for reference it would be super helpful. I plan to use a Atom Dac+/Amp+
Cannot speak to the Autumn, but the Aladdin/Serial are going a more balanced sound signature compared to the FD3. From memory, the FD3 was a very forgettable, generic sounding v-shaped IEM. FD3 bass was muddy, and I would definitely say Aladdin/Serial are an improvement over that. Quality > quantity. Both have noticeably less mid-bass than the FD3. Mids on both will sound less recessed. Aladdin has a more lower treble than the Serial, and FD3 has even more than both. I don't think the treble extension on either was anything noteworthy, but I'm not a treble-head.

I would recommend the Serial out of those choices. I think it's a decent IEM for the price with a sound signature that would appeal to a wide range of people. I'm biased of course, since this is the Penon audio thread and I like their products. :beerchug:

There's currently one for sale in the classifieds if you wanted to buy used and save a decent chunk of change.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #4,067 of 13,781
while maintaining a natural sound/timbre.
Forgot to mention this, but the Serial is a Triple-DD and has excellent timbre, better than the Aladdin which is a hybrid.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #4,068 of 13,781
If anyone's new to the Penon range, the Serial is a very strong reco. an absolute gem / a win / bang for your buck!
Won't be disappointed...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/isn-earphones-impression-thread-new-isn-h50.920551/post-16737083

IMG_20211230_105149.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #4,069 of 13,781
Apologies I’m a little new here, I own a fiio FD3 and am looking to upgrade. My original choice was going to be the KATO, and after they discontinued the matte version the BQEYZ Autumn was on my list. Came across a positive review for the Yanyin Aladdin then stumbled onto the Penon Serial which also seems like a good choice. I returned a Fiio FH3 for coherency and timbre issues, and settled on the Fd3. It is my favorite IEM to date, but I seek tighter bass and more resolving/extended treble while maintaining a natural sound/timbre.

If anyone could provide a comparison between Serial, Aladdin, BQEYZ Autumn, and the FD3 for reference it would be super helpful. I plan to use a Atom Dac+/Amp+

Haven’t tried the other IEMs you mentioned so this might be of limited help.

But over here in my collection, IEMs live or die by their coherency and timbre. And the Serial was never in danger in the month or so that I’ve had it. It does however have a tight, well-controlled (but ample) bass and sub bass as well as good timbre. In terms of coherency, it sounds like a single very capable DD.

Not sure what degree of treble you’re after but I think the Serial has enough to be realistic and more than enough to satisfy most people other than the most manic trebleheads. To this recovering treblehead, its upper end needed some burning in before opening up proper. Others haven’t noticed the same issue though so ymmv.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #4,070 of 13,781
I can't understate what a beauty the Penon Legend has become since I received it. It was already good when I got it but the BA-bass needed some improvement. It now has many hours under its belt and everything has come together perfectly. The bloom with switch 3 turned on (bass switch) has now disappeared and I'm able to bask in a boosted bassline when I need it.

A real home run this one Penon. Truly.

I would add that total experimentation is encouraged with this - tips, sources, cables, switches. I'm still using the Flow to great success and have moved to wide bore Whizzer soundstage tips that allow a deep fit. This helps to tighten the bass too. Combined with the RU6 I'm in audio heaven!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #4,071 of 13,781
I can't understate what a beauty the Penon Legend has become since I received it. It was already good when I got it but the BA-bass needed some improvement. It now has many hours under its belt and everything has come together perfectly. The bloom with switch 3 turned on (bass switch) has now disappeared and I'm able to bask in a boosted bassline when I need it.

I would add that total experimentation is encouraged with this - tips, sources, cables, switches. I'm still using the Flow to great success and have moved to wide bore Whizzer soundstage tips that allow a deep fit. This helps to tighten the bass too. Combined with the RU6 I'm in audio heaven!
I have to agree. Folks you love yourself some Penon sound. Legend is max Penon sound. It is always a treat to listen to the Legends and I can say I have been blessed with being able to hear the progression of the Penon sound tunings from the Sphere all the way to the Legends.

I don't know what Penon will bring to the table here in 2022 but I do know they will always bring advancements in what they do. Penon is one company that will make sure anything new they make is a step forward and not the same stuff or a regression in sound. You can count on that and for me anyway, the best earphone I have reviewed all of this year was indeed the Penon Legend.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #4,072 of 13,781

It would be absolutely perfect if it had a DD for the bass. The mids are exceptional. Wide bore tips are definitely the way to go 👌

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #4,073 of 13,781
It would be absolutely perfect if it had a DD for the bass. The mids are exceptional. Wide bore tips are definitely the way to go 👌

I've been going over this in my head since it arrived. Would it actually benefit from a DD? As always it's a matter of tastes but the way the BAs present the leading edges of the bass actually has its own appeal. It has a smoother and more open quality that really suits my ambient listening. Ofcourse a DD would provide better impact but the nuance is there with these drivers (or atleast they are with mine!).

Whatever the case, it's a keeper and isn't going anywhere!

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #4,074 of 13,781
Now here's a Gap for 2022! (1 x dd) + (9 x ba) ! Let's name it! :darthsmile:

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #4,075 of 13,781
Now here's a Gap for 2022! (1 x dd) + (9 x ba) ! Let's name it! :darthsmile:

The Penon Hex - 2DD, 4EST please - bass, mids and lower treble by DD and upper treble / ultra high 4EST :)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #4,076 of 13,781
Dec 30, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #4,077 of 13,781
Dec 31, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #4,078 of 13,781
Serial arrives today!

Screenshot_20211231-084431_Samsung Internet.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back