The PENON official thread
Apr 17, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #2,522 of 13,805
My only niggle with Volt, bass can sound bloated and undisciplined
Granted it's not the snappiest and fastest but bloated and undisciplined?

Aside from tips, which source are you using... Volt is deceptive, you can drive it loud enough easily with most sources but it needs good power to sound its best and bass control is affected by lesser sources.

Apr 17, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #2,523 of 13,805
Yes, Volt bass does sound so, to me, sometimes—with all the usual caveats, eg source, song selection. I would also say, it can bleed into mids, too. But my description is informal. I mean, this is a discussion thread not a repository for legal depositions.
As far as source goes, it’s the EST portion of Volt drivers which may especially benefit from hi powered output. The DD bass, much less of an issue.
I’ve tried numerous tips. I’d certainly be willing to experiment further upon suggestion.

Apr 17, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #2,524 of 13,805
Yes, Volt bass does sound so, to me, sometimes—with all the usual caveats, eg source, song selection. I would also say, it can bleed into mids, too. But my description is informal. I mean, this is a discussion thread not a repository for legal depositions.
As far as source goes, it’s the EST portion of Volt drivers which may especially benefit from hi powered output. The DD bass, much less of an issue.
I’ve tried numerous tips. I’d certainly be willing to experiment further upon suggestion.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/penon-audio-thread-post-your-impressions-here.934523/post-16296575
ePro Horn Tips

Some here had excellent results out of the Globes' bass. Maybe this'll work on the Volts, too...

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #2,525 of 13,805
Side question: I just found out this annoying trait of inverted starline tips yesterday (my first attempt at inversion). If you push them in to get a better seal, the top of the tips deforms and gets deeper. But after some time there is a pop sound and it regains its shape, and looses some of the seal. The only way to counter this is what I did with the tri flange tips in the beginning, pinch my ear to make the canal bigger and then push them in (I don't need to do it anymore though as my ear has gotten used to the tri flange). Is there any other way?

Hold & lift.
1618754714312.png

The ePro horns are very soft, easily deformed.
But w/ practice, and getting used to the insertion, inserting deep is not necessary

They will be situated below (shaded red)
1618754995340.png

Apr 18, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #2,527 of 13,805
Globes + the Inverted E-pro Horn tips = my tip toes are in the Flagship Lounge.
I can assure you this equation...
:beerchug:
My epro horn tips arrived today. I have not tried inverting them. I need to use the small size. Their effect is just wow! I am getting increased soundstage in all directions. An opening of up of the midrange to the degree but different than the DUNU transparency tips. Instrument separation seems subtly increased. The treble has a bit more air. Penon should pack in the epro horn tips with the Globe. Thank you for the epro horn recommendation!

Here is a piece that really showcases the Globe’s spatial cues, mids, and treble. Bass ain’t bad, either. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #2,528 of 13,805
My epro horn tips arrived today. I have not tried inverting them. I need to use the small size. Their effect is just wow! I am getting increased soundstage in all directions. An opening of up of the midrange to the degree but different than the DUNU transparency tips. Instrument separation seems subtly increased. The treble has a bit more air. Penon should pack in the epro horn tips with the Globe. Thank you for the epro horn recommendation!

Here is a piece that really showcases the Globe’s spatial cues, mids, and treble. Bass ain’t bad, either. :wink:

Awesome...

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #2,529 of 13,805
Awesome...

Actually, @KutuzovGambit 's idea, i just remembered the inverted tweaks from our fellow headfiers...

Apr 19, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #2,530 of 13,805
So on a whim I decided to get Penon Fan to check it out, before I even share some impressions let me share some pics, these babies look stunning for the price I love the shells :

2021-04-19 12.08.07.jpg

And the box is pretty nice as well

2021-04-19 12.08.15.jpg

It's been burning in for a couple of days, impressions coming soon :)

Apr 19, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #2,531 of 13,805
So on a whim I decided to get Penon Fan to check it out, before I even share some impressions let me share some pics, these babies look stunning for the price I love the shells :

They're Actually
fun, fun, fun...

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #2,534 of 13,805
Apr 19, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #2,535 of 13,805

Let me know how many hours you burned in and the subsequent impression.

I did not burn them in...their initial sound did not impress me much, cannot find the urge to properly burn them in. The crispness I was hoping would be there is simply is not there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back