The PENON official thread
Apr 11, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #2,446 of 13,666
Someone mentioned Globes as vinyl sounding ?
Yes they are, yes they Do...
:beerchug:
IMG_20210402_110528.jpg

IMG_20210411_092557.jpg

Apr 11, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #2,447 of 13,666
Someone mentioned Globes as vinyl sounding ?
Yes they are, yes they Do...
:beerchug:
why is your iem connector so long?
adapter?

Apr 11, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #2,449 of 13,666
Penon Fan represents a technical tuning made for the use of our patrons.
These are for the hard core enthusiast that would rather use a portable amp, a desktop source and or a higher end DAP rather than using a simple cell phone to hear their music.

Sound design has our philosophy of a larger spacious airy stage with a high degree of technical yet musical presentation. We encourage our enthusiasts to get the best out of the FANs. Use your higher end powered sources to reveal what they are truly about.

Due to the nature of dynamic drivers we also encourage at least 100 hours of break in before listening critically. With a proper source, the FANs will reveal a much wider more expansive stage. Excellent dynamic character from the lowest of notes to the highest of the highs. Details and a refinement you will not be able to perceive with a weaker source.

Once heard at their true potential we feel you will understand why we named the earphones the FAN.
:)

The Fan looks tempting but with the Globe in hand, I am not sure the Fan would upgrade any part of the sonic spectrum. Is there any upside of the Fan vs. the Globe other than cost? I might be looking at this all wrong.

If a sale or discount code goes around for the Globe I might pick up a second pair. :wink: One pair with the green tips for the absolute lushness to listen to during report writing and one pair with the DUNU transparency tips for active listening.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #2,450 of 13,666
I hope you get back to full health soon. Great review! Like you, I think the Globe is a very endearing and musical IEM. I find that I like the Globe better with more complex pieces over “simpler” pieces, though. I prefer my Yume for smaller ensembles and the singer/songwriter genres. Just different tastes. I am really liking the effect my DUNU “transparency” tips have with the Globe. The richness with the stock green-grey tips is also an excellent approach to the Globe. Nothing but audio goodness.
Thank you. Yes, I like the green stock tips better than the orange for sure. I also don’t mind the double flange tips either, actually. I’m doing some more tip rolling since unfortunately the Spiral Dots are straddling M and MS with neither size fitting exactly right with the Globes over prolonged sessions. I think I’ll leave the greens on for a while and see whether the bass is too much... they do seem to tighten the bass ever so slightly which may actually be enough compensation for the db boost.

Apr 11, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #2,451 of 13,666
Thank you. Yes, I like the green stock tips better than the orange for sure. I also don’t mind the double flange tips either, actually. I’m doing some more tip rolling since unfortunately the Spiral Dots are straddling M and MS with neither size fitting exactly right with the Globes over prolonged sessions. I think I’ll leave the greens on for a while and see whether the bass is too much... they do seem to tighten the bass ever so slightly which may actually be enough compensation for the db boost.
The double flanged tips worked well, sonically, for me. I just don't like the feel of double flange tips. I ended up using small tips for the Globe instead of my usual mediums. My right ear canal or my tragus make is so there is a curve in the canal that can affect the fit of some IEMs. With small tips, the Globe I get a great fit and seal on both sides. Final tips would probably be ideal for my ear canal contour, but they, like foam tips, can dampen highs and sometimes boost mid-bass. At least that has been my experience with the final tips.

I hope you find your "perfect" tips for the Globe.

Apr 11, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #2,452 of 13,666
why is your iem connector so long?
adapter?
@ChrisOc answered the jack terminations, if ur asking about the mmcx to 2-pin, yes they're adapters.
When used, they're not that long...

1618158288652.png

Attachments

• 1618158282055.png
    1618158282055.png
    397.2 KB · Views: 0
Apr 11, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #2,453 of 13,666
The Fan looks tempting but with the Globe in hand, I am not sure the Fan would upgrade any part of the sonic spectrum. Is there any upside of the Fan vs. the Globe other than cost? I might be looking at this all wrong.

If a sale or discount code goes around for the Globe I might pick up a second pair. :wink: One pair with the green tips for the absolute lushness to listen to during report writing and one pair with the DUNU transparency tips for active listening.

The Fan requires a bit more power, a dx160 or equivalent, a dap transport w/ portable amp, etc.
Whilst the Globe, Efficient enough even my M0 can let it sing
1618158783793.png

Apr 11, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #2,454 of 13,666
The Fan requires a bit more power, a dx160 or equivalent, a dap transport w/ portable amp, etc.
Whilst the Globe, Efficient enough even my M0 can let it sing
1618158783793.png
Thanks, that was helpful.

Apr 12, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #2,455 of 13,666

The Green Stem tips are really Good.
The orange stems, when used, turns the Globes into near Basshead level in ears...

Apr 12, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #2,456 of 13,666

Time Flies SO Fast, i thought i shared this image this morning, LOLs.
(using the Globes)
The production of this recording is akin to the 60s-70s vibe, with a 90s quality recording equipment, w/c is really good, we think grunge, but quality ones.
The Studio is actually quite large and less damped, therefore a lot of subtle indirect sound reflections occur, were captured to good effect.
I was very surprised to hear lots of low level details from this album
From the sub-bass, the neutral, rich, natural mids, detailed extended trebles...

Apr 12, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #2,457 of 13,666
How are you finding the Globes vs the LZ A7s? I did try the Orbs before the A7s - the Orbs were lacking treble extension and details for me but otherwise had a very nice and smooth tuning. Currently have the A7s which I enjoy quite a bit, though I could use a little more "sweetness" or musical signature / mids. How do you find the bass quality / texture / tightness of the Globes vs A7? From my memory the Orbs had a very impactful bass that was more visceral, though I think A7 may have the edge on bass texture - not sure though without an A/B test.
OK so I've had some time to A/B the two a little.

Firstly though the Globe is not at all lacking in treble extension or detail for me, I don't think you need to worry about that at all. Maybe this means they aren't quite as smooth as the Orbs (I've not heard them myself), but they are still quite organic and cohesive and yes I would definitely say smooth just with some tasteful accents in the treble region.

But to get to the comparison you asked for: the Globes are definitely more musical, emotional than the A7. Their stage is also clearly better, especially in verticality. Otherwise I find technicalities to be pretty comparable, although of course by nature of the tuning there is better perceived separation and layering on the A7 due to their more neutral midrange versus the warmth and forward midrange of the Globes.

As for the bass, it is definitely much more visceral and atmospheric on the Globe vs the A7, it has a rounded character vs the tightness of the A7 but is still pretty agile and well-controlled. Texture is a bit better on the A7 but the Globe is no slouch at all when it comes to bass texture either. Honestly if forced to choose I prefer the bass on the A7 since the more restrained boost allows it to be more versatile for my library, but without the Globe's low end to support its warmth and atmospheric quality it would lose its special sauce IMO.

Ultimately what it comes down to is that they're just different tunings, and both have their place for sure - despite its versatility you're never going to be able to configure the A7s to replicate the unique richness of the Globe's tonality (Red Monitor comes closest).

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #2,458 of 13,666
The Green Stem tips are really Good.
The orange stems, when used, turns the Globes into near Basshead level in ears...
Yeah I agree, the green tips are really good and I'll probably end up sticking with them - I think I slightly prefer the staging and bass presentation with the Spiral Dots, but the difference is pretty marginal, and fit/comfort are just better with the stock green tips.

Apr 12, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #2,459 of 13,666
Yeah I agree, the green tips are really good and I'll probably end up sticking with them - I think I slightly prefer the staging and bass presentation with the Spiral Dots, but the difference is pretty marginal, and fit/comfort are just better with the stock green tips.

will try the S.Dots.
But honestly, the Globes are a special case for me. I retain in using the stock green stem tips, my set is very much content with the treble resolution it is giving out.
But i'll try, i'll start w/ the original S.dots, then the ++ version. I'll also try the Sedna Earfit Grey stem...

Apr 12, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #2,460 of 13,666

Marginal, but very audible difference.
Now i realise what you mean by preference for this tips re: staging. Bass is more taut, Depth obviously increased - a better presentation indeed! More Wow factor.
Adding to that, with the original S.dots, still analog sounding Penon house sound, w/ crispness added.
But the Spiral dots ++, significant improvement overall!
IMG_20210412_214931.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back