The PENON official thread
Mar 30, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #2,386 of 13,727
I wasn't paying that much attention to the polarities on IEMs since I've always used those with MMCX connectors. Only when I got myself an IEM with 2pin and started building my own cables then I learned how 2pin connectors work. Some still find it tricky especially those who haven't tried DIY work or those not interested enough to research on it, but once you try making cables or even just understanding the connections, you'll easily figure out the basics. That's what's most important. No need to delve in too much as there's much more info to go through the more technical the (DIY) requirements are.

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #2,387 of 13,727
There is a Light that never goes out - Anberlin
This track should be One of the Globe's epitome
Vocals (emphasis on plural, main, incidental, etc) , detail, pace, prat, percussion and of course that Bass...
IMG_20210330_220935.jpg

One more time,
it's his master's voice next...

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #2,388 of 13,727

One more time,
it's his master's voice next...

The Smiths might want a word with you... :wink:

It is without a doubt, the Master's original track IS the best!
Morissey's voice, very emotional, very fluid, very natural.
This time 'round, the voices are equally scaled as the rest of the notes/instruments.
3d effects, low level details (micro details), percussions and that very tasty low end are very audible, without obstructing the main musical structure...
IMG_20210330_221529.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #2,389 of 13,727
It matters a lot. Take a look here at the image. (Satin Audio's 0.78 2pin connector)

Manufacturers often make them in a way so that those grooves always face outward and faces the same direction as the IEM faceplates. Usually, they also try to put the L/R markings, color markings, or brand logo in the same direction. Those are the most common ways to tell users how they should put the connectors properly. Although these aren't necessarily always correct. Some DIY cables or repaired ones might turn out wrong or in the opposite depending on how the maker paid attention to the details mentioned.
Brilliant! Many thanks pr0b3r.

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #2,390 of 13,727
lols
that's the original version, His master's voice et cie...
i certainly hope you tried the Anberlin version, they did a magnificent justice cover right there...

Anberlin did the song well. It gives it a different vibe, almost ironic to the song title. Anberlin’s version comes across as hopelessness vs. the Smiths’ version is one of angst with hope.

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #2,391 of 13,727
It is without a doubt, the Master's original track IS the best!
Morissey's voice, very emotional, very fluid, very natural.
This time 'round, the voices are equally scaled as the rest of the notes/instruments.
3d effects, low level details (micro details), percussions and that very tasty low ende are very audible, without obstructing the main musical structure...
IMG_20210330_221529.jpg

And there is only one Johnny Mahr :)

Mar 30, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #2,392 of 13,727
Mar 30, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #2,393 of 13,727
Hi pr0b3r,
Regarding the correct plug/socket termination of my IEM's and which way may be correct. Here's a photo of how I have plugged them in. You can see that the grooves of the 2 pin cable plug are facing upwards to the faceplate as there are no other indicators showing +/-. You can also see inside the IEM and the Red and Blue wires. Am I connecting correctly? Thanking you in advance.

Attachments

• 20210330_232615_resized.jpg
    20210330_232615_resized.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 30, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #2,394 of 13,727
Hi pr0b3r,
Regarding the correct plug/socket termination of my IEM's and which way may be correct. Here's a photo of how I have plugged them in. You can see that the grooves of the 2 pin cable plug are facing upwards to the faceplate as there are no other indicators showing +/-. You can also see inside the IEM and the Red and Blue wires. Am I connecting correctly? Thanking you in advance.
Just use a test like this:

Polarity testing from 0:40. If its out of phase, you probably notice it right away. (otherwise you can try it with another iem to check how it is supposed to sound if you are still uncertain.)

Mar 30, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #2,395 of 13,727
Just use a test like this:

Polarity testing from 0:40. If its out of phase, you probably notice it right away. (otherwise you can try it with another iem to check how it is supposed to sound if you are still uncertain.)

Yes. That was very useful! Thanks RikudouGoku. I believe I've got my IEM's plugged in correctly. On another note... whenever I push my left IEM in to my ear for a more seated fit it the sound sort of pops in and out slightly then comes back on again fully. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Mar 30, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #2,396 of 13,727
Yes. That was very useful! Thanks RikudouGoku. I believe I've got my IEM's plugged in correctly. On another note... whenever I push my left IEM in to my ear for a more seated fit it the sound sort of pops in and out slightly then comes back on again fully. Is this anything to be concerned about?
Sounds like either driver flex or that you are creating a vacuum by inserting it too deeply. I wouldn't worry about neither of them, but if it is the vacuum effect. I would try to fit it a bit more shallow.

Mar 30, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #2,397 of 13,727
Thanks RikudouGoku! I see you are in Sweden! Lovely country! And just by chance I'm listening to Zara Larsson at the moment!

Mar 31, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #2,399 of 13,727
There is a Light that never goes out - Anberlin
This track should be One of the Globe's epitome
Vocals (emphasis on plural, main, incidental, etc) , detail, pace, prat, percussion and of course that Bass...

I thought I sent this last night. I guess not.

My Globe arrived today! Penon and DHL know how to get items in customers' hands in a timely manner!

I have been listening to the Globes for the last couple hours. I did some tip rolling as the bass was, for my taste, a bit overbearing OOTB. I settled on the small green tips. I end up getting better sub/mid bass balance with those tips. I did some quick surveying of songs with the Globe. You are absolutely correct that Anberlin is a great showcase band for the Globe. The Smiths sound fantastic with the Globe as well. I need to give the Globe some good quality time before I have any clearly drawn conclusions.

How long does the Globe need to burn in before the DD has fully matured? The bass seems to have tamed down a bit after a couple hours.

If I could best describe the Globe is to say that the Globe gives me the impression that I am almost listening to vinyl recordings on a very good audio system, not the reality that I am listening to 1s and 0s converted to audio. Early days, but there are strong indicators for this assessment.

Mar 31, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #2,400 of 13,727
I thought I sent this last night. I guess not.

My Globe arrived today! Penon and DHL know how to get items in customers' hands in a timely manner!

I have been listening to the Globes for the last couple hours. I did some tip rolling as the bass was, for my taste, a bit overbearing OOTB. I settled on the small green tips. I end up getting better sub/mid bass balance with those tips. I did some quick surveying of songs with the Globe. You are absolutely correct that Anberlin is a great showcase band for the Globe. The Smiths sound fantastic with the Globe as well. I need to give the Globe some good quality time before I have any clearly drawn conclusions.
That is a fact. Morissey's voice simply very authentic. i really like how the voices scaled in the very same size with the rest of the instruments
How long does the Globe need to burn in before the DD has fully matured?
i continuously listened to them from day one, w/o ever leaving playing by themselves.
The bass seems to have tamed down a bit after a couple hours.

If I could best describe the Globe is to say that the Globe gives me the impression that I am almost listening to vinyl recordings on a very good audio system, not the reality that I am listening to
This is very much true, SL1200 level SQ. Sub-bass, rich mids, extended trebles, that simply refuse to sibilate.
@ the very worst of recording i played, it (vocal) sounds like a very close electret mic pick-up, that's about it, not the Globe's fault, in all honesty.
1s and 0s converted to audio. Early days, but there are strong indicators for this assessment.
I use the green tips - neutral w/ bass boost, extended trebles, very fair details, good 3d effects, equal notes - voices, instruments are all of the same scale.
This helped a lot in conveying the imaging very well.
The imaging dispersion is the Best i have heard from Penon so far.
Playing from the Shanling m0 alone, justifies this.
Upping the source player, scales up everything.
Comparing from Fan, Spheres and ultimately the Orbs, the Globes will appeal very much to most - as improvements from the Orbs' comments were addressed, very well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back