The PA2V2 Thread
Oct 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #586 of 752
Here's my PA2V2:

Sansa Clip Zip + Monoprice 8320 + EA PA2V2 = Budget Combo. 
beyersmile.png

It's my first headphone amp and I'm loving it so far. :)

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #587 of 752
it really looks good , mate. cheers. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #588 of 752
What more can I say about Gary?

The wire to my recharger broke, and I was unsuccessful in resplining it.  So, he sent me a USB recharger gratis, no charge (pun intended.)  I looked so hard to find one to his specs.

I am so heartfelt that there still remains someone so dedicated to the joy his customers receive from his hand-made amp, truly an old-school artisan craftsman.

I am basking at the glow of the little red LED of my amp, it brings back so many childhood memories of devices I built with my dad from heathkits in the 1970s.

His device is worth buying for so many reasons; the sound, battery life, that toggle switch, the red plastic glow...and, of course, Gary, himself.

thank you, Gary.

-Mo

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #592 of 752
Has anyone tried driving orthodynamic headphones with this amp? I had to return my pa2v2 because it couldn't drive my Hifiman HE-400 headphones. There would be noticeable bass distortion/crackling sounds at 3 - 4 o clock on the volume knob.

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #593 of 752
Quote:
Has anyone tried driving orthodynamic headphones with this amp? I had to return my pa2v2 because it couldn't drive my Hifiman HE-400 headphones. There would be noticeable bass distortion/crackling sounds at 3 - 4 o clock on the volume knob.

I have a pair of modded Yamaha YH-2 (~93db stock sensitivity), and a modded T50RP (~98db stock) that sound pretty good out of it. Since the HE-400 is rated at about 93db the PA2V2 should (theoretically) have enough juice to power these cans as well.

Have you adjusted the gain on the PA2V2? If I recall, Gary usually sets the gain at levels suitable for driving IEM/portables. In this case, maybe turning up the gain a bit will give you better performance.

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #594 of 752
Quote:

I have a pair of modded Yamaha YH-2 (~93db stock sensitivity), and a modded T50RP (~98db stock) that sound pretty good out of it. Since the HE-400 is rated at about 93db the PA2V2 should (theoretically) have enough juice to power these cans as well.

Have you adjusted the gain on the PA2V2? If I recall, Gary usually sets the gain at levels suitable for driving IEM/portables. In this case, maybe turning up the gain a bit will give you better performance.

Yeah I adjusted the blue screws inside the amp and I was still getting bass distortions at 75% - 80% volume. Maybe they are just not a good match for the HE-400? I am driving the HE-400s out of my Fiio E11 portable amp with no distortions at loud volumes.

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #595 of 752
Cheuh ,you may consider to talk to Gary about he may sending another unit if there is any chance about your current unit is a little defective,surely he wont worry about sending you another one before you decide to pass on another amp.

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #596 of 752
Quote:
Cheuh ,you may consider to talk to Gary about he may sending another unit if there is any chance about your current unit is a little defective,surely he wont worry about sending you another one before you decide to pass on another amp.

It's too late actually. I already sent it back to him. I spoke with him about it and he basically told me to try charging the batteries overnight and try using the amp without the batteries inside.  Both methods resulted in the same distortions that I was hearing already. I don't think the amp was defective because I used it with a pair of cheap headphones that I had laying around the house, and it sounded fine. I'm using the Fiio E11 now and there is no distortion that I hear. I was just posting here to find out if anyone else had tried the HE-400 with the PA2V2 and had any distortion. Maybe the PA2V2 is just not a good match for the HE-400?

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #598 of 752
Quote:
It's too late actually. I already sent it back to him. I spoke with him about it and he basically told me to try charging the batteries overnight and try using the amp without the batteries inside.  Both methods resulted in the same distortions that I was hearing already. I don't think the amp was defective because I used it with a pair of cheap headphones that I had laying around the house, and it sounded fine. I'm using the Fiio E11 now and there is no distortion that I hear. I was just posting here to find out if anyone else had tried the HE-400 with the PA2V2 and had any distortion. Maybe the PA2V2 is just not a good match for the HE-400?

Out of curiosity, I tried listening to my HE-500s through the PA2V2, using these two songs to test out the bass response:

MJ Cole - Angel Riddim

TNGHT - HIgher Ground

Up to about 60-65% of max volume, both sounded just fine, but turning the knob above that did produce some clipping or distortion. I would say however, this is at volume levels way above anything I would listen at. Perhaps the PA2V2 doesn't have enough juice above ~75% of max volume to drive the HE-400s cleanly? Not too surprising as planars are (generally speaking) thirsty beasts. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back