The PA2V2 Thread
Oct 3, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #406 of 752
Just ordered mine a few days ago. Gary is such a nice guy, cant wait to use the amp!

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #407 of 752

Quote:
Just ordered mine a few days ago. Gary is such a nice guy, cant wait to use the amp!

Yep, he was super friendly when I was talking about a possible review.

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #408 of 752
Just bought a used PA2V2 from a board member for use with my Shure 840s and Monster Turbines. I must say that I didn't expect such a difference with the 840's. They sound even better now. The highs seem more pronounced, and there is a noticeable increase in bass, but it is not bloated or boomy, it is nice and controlled. I listen to a lot of different types of metal and rock and I am really impressed so far! The Turbines didn't seem to be much different expect that they could get louder, and had even more bass, but I also have not listened to them as much.

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #409 of 752
I'm loving the sound that I'm getting from my amp. Gary is an awesome guy. I'm majoring in Electrical Engineering, thinking about going into Audio electrical engineering and Gary awn sered all the questions I had about the field. Recommended the amp to a friend who is going to buy it as well. 

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #410 of 752
Gary is an AWESOME guy, no doubt about that.  But I don't know about the amp...  I'm using it connected to my laptop's headphone out, then thru the amp to ath-m50s.  To me without the amp the sound is much more crisp and detailed, sound stage wider, and much more dynamic.  The amp makes the sound muddy considerably, and the only part I maybe like about it is the smoother bass and low-mid response.  Am I doing something wrong here?  I have my laptop volume set to about 60%, and use ASIO.

Also plugged it into my cellphone, and it sounded better without the amp... what the hell?  Maybe it's a terrible match with ath-m50s.. idk.  I also get noise when I'm turning the volume knob, and the problem persists with or without power adapter connected.

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #411 of 752
Well, there's a limit to what the amp can do, and laptop and cellphones are getting better headphone outs all the time. But also: you're double amping. This might cause some of the noise. 

Have you got the gain screw set right on your amp?

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #413 of 752
Double amping might be the problem.  When I use my headphone straight into laptop, setting the volume anything above ~50% is way too loud.  So I guess there's a pretty powerful amp in there already.  Since I don't listen to music on my cell phone that often, I'm really only concerned with laptop+amp.  How would I set up the amp with the laptop to get a clean signal?  Currently i'm just plugging into the headphone out jack.  Would be better if I don't have to buy some expensive USB DAC

As far as the gain screw goes, I've played with them but it doesn't make much difference.

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #414 of 752

Quote:
When I use my headphone straight into laptop, setting the volume anything above ~50% is way too loud.  So I guess there's a pretty powerful amp in there already.  

Amping isn't just about volume--it's about control. As I understand it, a good amp will be able to get your headphones to respond more quickly to changes in the signal; this is the "refinement" you'll sometimes see people talk about when praising an amp. 

Frankly, there's no way that I know of to get a pure, unamped analogue signal from a laptop. I think you'd have to go digital (e.g. USB DAC as you suggested). Before you consider doing that though: what was wrong with the headphone jack on your laptop?

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #415 of 752

Quote:
Amping isn't just about volume--it's about control. As I understand it, a good amp will be able to get your headphones to respond more quickly to changes in the signal; this is the "refinement" you'll sometimes see people talk about when praising an amp. 

Frankly, there's no way that I know of to get a pure, unamped analogue signal from a laptop. I think you'd have to go digital (e.g. USB DAC as you suggested). Before you consider doing that though: what was wrong with the headphone jack on your laptop?

Haha good point.  There's really nothing wrong with the sound coming out of my laptop.  It's pretty awesome.  I bought the amp thinking maybe I would get even better sound.  But yeah, it seems like if I wanted a real upgrade I would need to go to the next step and get some better DAC and amp and of course better cans.

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #416 of 752
Yeah--maybe. I'm just saying, as a general rule think about what you find lacking in your current setup before spending cash on a new setup. And if you have to rely on reviews to pick new gear, be sure that you can verbalise what's wrong with your current setup; if it just "feels" like it "could be better", anything you buy is going to be a stab in the dark, and likely a waste of your time and money.

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #417 of 752
I just received my PA2v2 this past weekend and it's quite a little tank.  I've been using it to amp the line out on my xm radio at work and it's fantastic!

Here's a little gratuitous amp on amp action...

Oct 25, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #418 of 752
Into my 3rd Month and still on the first charge! AMAZING!!
use it Monday to Friday about 4-6 Hours per Day.
Mobile Sound Experience have never been this good!!
Let's see who hits the Lucky #10 000!! hehe

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #419 of 752
Yep, this amp is the cousin of the Energizer bunny.  The battery life is just sensational.

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #420 of 752

Quote:
Yep, this amp is the cousin of the Energizer bunny.  The battery life is just sensational.

Big +1 on that. I almost never have to charge mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back