The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
Mar 4, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #1,381 of 2,630
Mar 4, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #1,382 of 2,630
Mar 4, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #1,383 of 2,630

Wow, I can’t believe this, but as far as I know it’s true: I have never listened to this album with headphones before. Which does not seem possible. Anyway, I just queued this up with my Hifiman HE-400i’s, and I am completely blown away by how flipping good this album is. When this was released in 1988, I was going through an extremely dark time. I’m talking suicidal, methamphetamine, alcohol-binge insanity. This album was like the only ray of light in my life at the time.

This is a criminally underrated band; progressive metal before there was such a thing as progressive metal. The musicianship is incredible, as much for what they don’t play is what they do play. Doug Pinnick is an absolute beast on his eight-string bass, and his vocals are some of the best ever recorded. Ty Tabor is a wickedly intelligent guitarist, who knows exactly when to back off as much as when to bring it. But what really impresses me tonight is the drumming by Jerry Gaskill, who plays deceptively simply. The space he gives the other two members of the band comes across as really smart tonight.

Anyway, if you’ve never listened to the King’s X debut “Out of the Silent Plant” before, put some headphones on, turn down the lights, and just let this album take you where it wants to take you. If you are familiar with this album, say hello to an old friend. Like me, I’ll bet it’s been a while…

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. These headphones are pretty fantastic as well!

One of my mates was really into Kings X. I have memories of it blasting out from the tiny radio of his tiny Fiat 126 driving around the countryside with 6 of us squashed into it however we could. Strange thing is the picture below it looks bigger. Is that possible? We used to get to pubs aching all over from the squeeze.:

74a64279-2683-4ac7-ac10-a5c72d352662.jpg

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #1,384 of 2,630
I really admire the respect these guys show this song. And I thought I got in to this song!!!!

Hope y'all agree...

Those 2 annoy the screw out of me. It's great they get into music that isn't their norm but they keep pausing the screwg track to jabber. I prefer to watch WeeaboReacts because he plays the song without breaks and is a lot more expressions, looks of disbelief, gesticulation etc.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #1,385 of 2,630
their YYZ reaction is pretty good too.

Thats the only one of theirs I watched...........which led me to the conclusion I put above. They kept stopping the track and babbling on missing out parts of the song etc. I was getting really peed off with them.

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #1,386 of 2,630
I don't think many Americans realise just how much Oasis changed things culturally in the UK from '94 onward. People try to associate things as OAsis vs Blur musically without ever realisiing that it was much much more than music. It was like a new swinging sixties thing. Fashion changed, attitude changed all because of one band. Yet the media gurus made it a music vs music thing because they didn;t really understand the working class on the ground. Oasis were massive, absolutely huge and it wan;t just the music. Parkas became fashionable (they still are to this day), everybody was wearing checked shirts, decent jeans and decent shoes. The whole of the town centre just looked different within a year fashionwide and the "youth" had more confidence (arrogance to some.) There was suddenly a feelgood factor.

I absolutely love the first Oasis album.They were heavy AF on that record without resorting to cliched methods to get there.Epic song writing,catchy if not entirely original hooks.A classic in my opinion.Their next couple releases were pretty good as well,but nothing like the debut.

I caught them live in L.A. in the nineties and unfortunately it went down as one of the more disappointing shows Ive ever seen,right up there with The Cars and Janes Addiction.

Even today I listen to that first Oasis album (their best still in my eyes) and I get WOW. And it may be nothign to do with the music!!! In 20 years time people might say "I don't get it" like some do with Sgt PEppers or Pet Sounds now.
My step son likes metal and often times when he hears some old stuff and remarks on how crappy or cheesy or...whatever I have to school him on why it needs to be viewed within the context of history and its long term impact on metal as a whole.

If we dont teach our kids,nobody will.

I'll leave it there for tonight. I'm on page 50 ish but have been on a downer since I saw Chris Cornell died :frowning2: I was really into Soundgarden when everyone else was into Nirvana. Didn;t know he had gone. I remember wearing out the 7 inch picture vinyl of JesusChristPose. Now that was pretty heavy.

I dunno how you missed the passing of Chris Cornell.Truly one of the saddest days in music for me.I still cannot wrap my brain around his passing,nor the fact that he is actually dead....
Theres an upcoming album of songs based upon the writings and poetry of Johnny Cash.Chris does a song called "You Never Knew My Mind".Look it up on YouTube.Have tissues close by.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #1,389 of 2,630
Mar 6, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #1,390 of 2,630
Lately Ive been listening to a lot of space rock...bands like 35007,Heavy Moon,Comacozer,Electric Octopus...Do you guys have some other band suggestions?

Mar 6, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #1,391 of 2,630
Lately Ive been listening to a lot of space rock...bands like 35007,Heavy Moon,Comacozer,Electric Octopus...Do you guys have some other band suggestions?

And then this turns up....right on cue.

Mar 6, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #1,392 of 2,630

Spaceslug!!!!!

Mar 6, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #1,393 of 2,630
Nice...will check em out.A Google only turned up 1970s bands like Hawkwind and Ozric Tentacles,looking for modern stuff....guess the mainstream hasnt caught on yet.

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #1,394 of 2,630
Its wierd and quite apt that several coincidences led to this event (I'll explain using that word later.) This last couple of months I have been looking for some headphones (not vintage initially) and that led me to posting on this forum. Then Monsterzero linked me to a review of the Sextett on youtube which I watched.

Then on the right I saw "Rush - Moving pictures first listen reaction" from the WeabooReacts channel which I thought was quite cool so I searched on his channel to see what else he had reacted to on his "first listen" and there were quite a few so I listened to loads of them. Its quite a good feeling watching someone react to hearing music that you love.

Then the sextetts arrived so I listened to loads of stuff and asked for suggestions from Monsterzero to listen to and he pointed me to this thread.

So the today I had to go into town (I live in city but Brits say "going into town") to get some plain swimming shorts for the boys school because nowhere else sells any without logos (not allowed logos) and they need them tomorrow. While I was walking around town I thought I would pop into all the charity shops seeing if there were any vintage headphone bargains in them. This led me to walk uphill and after going in about 10 charity shops without any success (not a single pair of heaphones other than cheapo modern buds) I thought I had better go home.

As I was uphill and it was a 10 minute walk back down the hill to the bus station I cursed to myself and decided to continue up the hill and walk home (about 2 miles/30 minutes) as I would get home a few minutes earlier than the bus would get me home (walking down the hill/waiting for bus/bus travelling through the city centre when the roads are gridlocked.)

Uphill Lincoln City Centre is the historic "cathedral quarter" where there is the Cathedral and the Castle and it is all very posh and nice with little gift shops, Whiskey connoisseur shops, posh ladies boutiques, proper tailors etc. You get the picture.

THE EVENT: So I walked past all that and just as I was walking past the Cathedral I saw a tall "blonde" man with long hair and a grey beard walking out of the Eastgate hotel with a few people. I recognised him and smiled as he was approaching me. He obviously saw I had recognised him and said in the politest soft voice "hell" and smiled at me. I replied a "squeaky hello" back to him. A couple of the others looked like they might be people I should recognise but I didn't. They obviously can;t be as high up the "Legend" order as this chap was.

So looking for headphones led me to this site, this site led me to vintage headphones and WeeaboReacts, WeeaboReacts led me to listen/watch him listen to several albums for the first time.........including one that this chap played on. Being led to vintage headphones on this forum was what made me think about looking in the charity shops and walking up the hill and thus walking home rather than getting the bus. So without all that I would never have met the chap I speak of.

I hope this isn't an anti-climax when I name him. I should say I call it an event because this is Lincoln and you do not get legendary stars walking around Lincoln.

One of the albums Weeabo reacted to was "Yes-Closer to the edge" and the guy I recognised instantly within a second of first glancing from at least 100 yards was.............

..............Rick Wakeman. I walked home in a very upbeat mood when I had been feeling a bit down until that point.

Now I will have to find out what he is doing in Lincoln (no-one comes here without a reason) and will no doubt find out that 2 or 3 of the others (He was in a group of about 7 people) that looked like they maybe ageing musicians were people I really should be recognising to thoughts in my head of "no way, how did I not recognise him."

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #1,395 of 2,630
Its wierd and quite apt that several coincidences led to this event (I'll explain using that word later.) This last couple of months I have been looking for some headphones (not vintage initially) and that led me to posting on this forum. Then Monsterzero linked me to a review of the Sextett on youtube which I watched.

Then on the right I saw "Rush - Moving pictures first listen reaction" from the WeabooReacts channel which I thought was quite cool so I searched on his channel to see what else he had reacted to on his "first listen" and there were quite a few so I listened to loads of them. Its quite a good feeling watching someone react to hearing music that you love.

Then the sextetts arrived so I listened to loads of stuff and asked for suggestions from Monsterzero to listen to and he pointed me to this thread.

So the today I had to go into town (I live in city but Brits say "going into town") to get some plain swimming shorts for the boys school because nowhere else sells any without logos (not allowed logos) and they need them tomorrow. While I was walking around town I thought I would pop into all the charity shops seeing if there were any vintage headphone bargains in them. This led me to walk uphill and after going in about 10 charity shops without any success (not a single pair of heaphones other than cheapo modern buds) I thought I had better go home.

As I was uphill and it was a 10 minute walk back down the hill to the bus station I cursed to myself and decided to continue up the hill and walk home (about 2 miles/30 minutes) as I would get home a few minutes earlier than the bus would get me home (walking down the hill/waiting for bus/bus travelling through the city centre when the roads are gridlocked.)

Uphill Lincoln City Centre is the historic "cathedral quarter" where there is the Cathedral and the Castle and it is all very posh and nice with little gift shops, Whiskey connoisseur shops, posh ladies boutiques, proper tailors etc. You get the picture.

THE EVENT: So I walked past all that and just as I was walking past the Cathedral I saw a tall "blonde" man with long hair and a grey beard walking out of the Eastgate hotel with a few people. I recognised him and smiled as he was approaching me. He obviously saw I had recognised him and said in the politest soft voice "hell" and smiled at me. I replied a "squeaky hello" back to him. A couple of the others looked like they might be people I should recognise but I didn't. They obviously can;t be as high up the "Legend" order as this chap was.

So looking for headphones led me to this site, this site led me to vintage headphones and WeeaboReacts, WeeaboReacts led me to listen/watch him listen to several albums for the first time.........including one that this chap played on. Being led to vintage headphones on this forum was what made me think about looking in the charity shops and walking up the hill and thus walking home rather than getting the bus. So without all that I would never have met the chap I speak of.

I hope this isn't an anti-climax when I name him. I should say I call it an event because this is Lincoln and you do not get legendary stars walking around Lincoln.

One of the albums Weeabo reacted to was "Yes-Closer to the edge" and the guy I recognised instantly within a second of first glancing from at least 100 yards was.............

..............Rick Wakeman. I walked home in a very upbeat mood when I had been feeling a bit down until that point.

Now I will have to find out what he is doing in Lincoln (no-one comes here without a reason) and will no doubt find out that 2 or 3 of the others (He was in a group of about 7 people) that looked like they maybe ageing musicians were people I really should be recognising to thoughts in my head of "no way, how did I not recognise him."
You win the Internet so far today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back