THE OSTRY KC06A ! THE GUY WHO SURPRISES WITH SOUND, CLASS,LOOK AND MANY MORE, :D
May 15, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #46 of 776
Ok. Put 1.5 hours of listening in. I'm ready to make some first impressions.

Ran through a variety of tracks, frequency sweeps, binaural testing tracks and pink noise.

These are early impressions with an out-of-the-box earphone that I plan to give at least 50 hours of burn-in.

I only listened using a Fiji X3 with firmware 2.14beta. I plan on trying it with a C&C BH on the line out as well as other sources after burn-in. Didn't like the stock tips, so I switched to JVC FX850 tips.
On to the impressions.

Highs: forward, sparkly but lacking extension. Seems to be a peak in the 2-5hz. Micro details are lost.

Mids: Warm and smooth. Not recessed but definitely a step back from the rest of the spectrum. Lacks the dynamics and excitement of the bass and highs. Almost seems blunted. I'm love my midrange and this just doesn't leave me fulfilled.

Bass: Strong with some serious thump and rumble. Extends surprising low with authority: However, it has a midbass hump that kind of overshadows the subbass. A little bleeding into the lower-mids but goes unnoticed on most tracks.

Details and separation: The separation is a step above average, no real complaints there. Details are good except in the upper highs. I wasn't let down, but not really impressed.

Comfort and build: light weight and small. I have small canals despite the large nature of my pinna in general. When trying for a solid,deep insertion with the single flanges, there was some discomfort until I found the right angle.
They look great. Feel plasticy and the cables is annoyingly rubbery and springy. Forgot to check microphonics, but it didn't seem to bother me.

Soundstage: Everything is forward. Height, depth, and and width are all mediocre.

Overall: The sound is very forward and in your face. Would be great for EDM, Rap, and Pop. Not really great for live recordings or female vocals.
The pink noises was very revealing and accurate to my impressions from the tracks. While some things might settle into place, I don't see the soundstage changing at all. After having the JVC FX850 in my ears the past few days straight, there is really no comparison. These are simply outclassed. Not my cup of tea I guess, maybe they will be for others.
There are a lot of fantastic options under $100. These are pretty good for $80. I think they'd be better at $60. Even then, my personal preferences would pick the Havi B3 pro V1 over this.

***These are initial impressions. My opinion of what I hear with my specific setup. YMMV. My opinion may change after some burn-in and more head time, but I doubt it.***

Revolution? Naw.

^
Welp looks like mo'shill's revolution is mo' like.....
.... one step at a tyme i guess. : P

Oh and I CALL 1st DIBS!!! If these Ayyys ain't doing it for ya', you now who to unload them to, cuz really wanna compare them to the classic ostriches since i was so impressed with those after a rough initial listening as well due to my new lame sauce ipod nano.

But only for $60 though as you said. hoho
wink.gif

May 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #47 of 776
If burn-in and tip rolling change very little for me, they'll be on the F/S. You can count on it. Probably around the $65 range.

Who knows. Maybe they'll under-go a transfiguration during the burn-in process and I'll take up arms with good 'ol Momo here.

May 15, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #48 of 776
Overall: The sound is very forward and in your face. Would be great for EDM, Rap, and Pop. Not really great for live recordings or female vocals.
The pink noises was very revealing and accurate to my impressions from the tracks. While some things might settle into place, I don't see the soundstage changing at all. After having the JVC FX850 in my ears the past few days straight, there is really no comparison. These are simply outclassed. Not my cup of tea I guess, maybe they will be for others.
There are a lot of fantastic options under $100. These are pretty good for $80. I think they'd be better at $60. Even then, my personal preferences would pick the Havi B3 pro V1 over this.

Revolution? Naw.

Oh wow, that doesn't sound very appealing.  I was determined to buy these, but now....
What would you advise for Alternative/Indie rock?

May 15, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #50 of 776
If burn-in and tip rolling change very little for me, they'll be on the F/S. You can count on it. Probably around the $65 range.

Who knows. Maybe they'll under-go a transfiguration during the burn-in process and I'll take up arms with good 'ol Momo here.

^
Hit a bro_troll up befo' you dump them on the F/S please.
biggrin.gif

Or i can PM ya'. :)

May 15, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #51 of 776
Oh wow, that doesn't sound very appealing.  I was determined to buy these, but now....
What would you advise for Alternative/Indie rock?

Wait for a few more impressions. We all hear things slightly different and vary in personal preferences.

One man's garbage is another man's gold. Not to say that these are my garbage,LOL.

I'll explain with an analogy. These are lot a hot new girl you just meet. She's outgoing and pretty. She's exciting and always doing something fun.

However, as bright a star as she is, her light fades fast. The longer you're around her and the more you get to know her, the more her flaws become apparent - annoyingly so.
Something about her voice just rubs you the wrong way and her personality is mostly skin deep. The more you listen to her, the less you like her.
She's great for a fling, but not girlfriend material.

May 15, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #55 of 776
We'll see about source synergy. It definitely plays a factor. That said, there are glaring flaws that no amount of synergy, tips, or burn-in can change: Soundstage being the most blatant. It's like standing two feet away from a wall of speakers. The binaural recordings that I listened to for depth, height, and overall 3d presentation really showed their shortcomings in that area.
The positional cues were still on target as far as direction, so that's a plus.

May 15, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #56 of 776
Not to sound science it up, but 200 hours is a scam to screw people out of warranty time.

I believe in burn-in from both a mechanical/thermodynamics perspective of materials to brain-burn-in as one becomes accustomed to a new sound, but never has that taken anywhere near 200 hours.
I played that game once with the CKN-70 and put between 200-250 hours on that. The first 50-70 made a difference. Everything after that was negligible in my opinion.

Maybe these will be an exception.

May 15, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #57 of 776
Wait for a few more impressions. We all hear things slightly different and vary in personal preferences.

One man's garbage is another man's gold. Not to say that these are my garbage,LOL.

I'll explain with an analogy. These are lot a hot new girl you just meet. She's outgoing and pretty. She's exciting and always doing something fun.

However, as bright a star as she is, her light fades fast. The longer you're around her and the more you get to know her, the more her flaws become apparent - annoyingly so.
Something about her voice just rubs you the wrong way and her personality is mostly skin deep. The more you listen to her, the less you like her.
She's great for a fling, but not girlfriend material.

^
Sounds like you're describing those JVC woodies of yours. hoho
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dat woodie flings don't last THAT long meng, just ask OP himself. :)

May 15, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #58 of 776
Not to sound science it up, but 200 hours is a scam to screw people out of warranty time.

I believe in burn-in from both a mechanical/thermodynamics perspective of materials to brain-burn-in as one becomes accustomed to a new sound, but never has that taken anywhere near 200 hours.
I played that game once with the CKN-70 and put between 200-250 hours on that. The first 50-70 made a difference. Everything after that was negligible in my opinion.

Maybe these will be an exception.

^
nah don't think "burn-in" will change these THAT much as it did for ATH/ JVC IEMs cuz isn't it overtly advertised by Ostry that burn-in is NOT needed for these on the box/ specs or something???

Think source material/ synergy is more important tbh, cuz some along with myself that the classic KC06 changes a lot outta' different sources so... you might wanna play around with what else you have around tbh. Will see.... 

May 15, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #59 of 776
DAYUM... I'll wait for more impressions. Do you have a iPhone 4 mate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back