The ORIVETI PRIMACY and NEW PRIMACY Triple-Driver Hybrid In-Ears Impressions and Discussions Thread
Mar 2, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #31 of 615
Review just posted - worth their price, and a lot of people will love them.  Perfect for me with a bit of upper end EQ.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/oriveti-primacy-whole-aluminium-body-triple-drivers-hybrid-2-balanced-armature-dynamic-high-fidelity-cable-detachable-in-ear-headphones/reviews/15406

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #32 of 615
Listened to these again, and it is confirmed that these will be in my next and perhaps, the "final" in-ear collection if I ever have the ability to do so. Don't want to expand my collection anymore anyways.

The FLC8s and the DN-2000J are both fantastic hybrid in-ears, in my opinion, but for me, the Oriveti Primacy just hit on the right spots. Don't even have to EQ them at all (edit: sounds fine for me with no EQ), just find a decent source with an acceptable output and it's all good to go.

It's the music that is the most important, but these brought me to another place when I was playing one of my personal favorite EPs with my stacked rig. No words I can describe how musical yet technically capable the Primacy was to me. It's not any kind of in-ears (the popular FLC8s for example) can be said the same by me, regardless of custom demos or universals, expensive or cheap.

Whatever. It is very difficult for me to find such sound for the price tag now, low-end, mid-end or high-end.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #33 of 615
These are some very impressive reviews.  I've been following the MEE Pinnacle P1 thread closely as well.
Has anyone heard both for comparison?

My preferences are for comfort/isolation with a less harsh upper end (mild tinnitus).  I generally listen to classic rock or jazz and do not need (or want) too much bass.  I am currently using a TF10 which I love, but it may be time to move on to a more comfortable fit.

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #35 of 615
Thanks.  There was one review that suggested that the isolation on the Primacy wasn't so good, but with the descriptions of a longer nozzle, I would think a foam tip would isolate well enough.

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #36 of 615
Thanks.  There was one review that suggested that the isolation on the Primacy wasn't so good, but with the descriptions of a longer nozzle, I would think a foam tip would isolate well enough.

I find the isolation to be superb. I am mostly using the large Spiral Dot tips.

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #37 of 615
Big credit to @HiFiChris

Just (using my X7) added ~ 5dB to 4 kHz region via EQ, and all the cymbal overtones are back again (shimmer etc).  Went a little further and deducted 2 dB from 1 kHz and added 1 dB to 2 kHz.  For my sonic tastes, these are pretty much perfect now.  Smooth but with very good resolution.  Fantastic.  Think I will change / update review based on this.  The Primacy is magical with this adjustment. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #38 of 615
I've had them for about a week. They are great and I think it'll be hard to find an iem that'll fit my tastes and are (to my preference) better till a pair like the Aria (I've gone through the reviews of about all the iems in that price range). I have close to little experience in analyzing headphones, but I find that my likes are very similar to hisoundfi's. However, I have a sufficient amount of different taste in music than hisoundfi. I have a pair of: Fidue a73, Vsonic Gr07, Vsonic Gr07be, and Audio Technica a900x. The Oriveti Primacy are my favorite headphone so far. I try to be objective and in that lifestyle, I seem to not understand the jargon of headfi the same way as others do, so I choose not to write reviews.

The Primacy's have a extremely close presentation to my ideal balance, and I do agree that the sound is generally "unexciting (without much flavor of it's own)". However, it has some emphasis in areas I can't specify that allows it presents music a bit more dynamically than recorded. I LOVE it

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #39 of 615
Got these earlier, still thinking whether is there a need to change the default cables, are they good enough or do I need another cable if I want a wider soundstage?

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #40 of 615
Sure you can get some soundstage effects with a quality cable. But 1) Do you really want to spend $300 on a cable for a $300 iem, and 2) increasing soundstage, whether by cable or in an iem etc. is usually by manipulating the frequencies in some way; like opening up the treble and/or recessing the lower mids. So even if you'd get a wider soundstage, it would change the Primacy's character.

What source are you using? The most significant gains in soundstage dimensions and quality will initially come from a good dap, preferably balanced if you really like soundstage. I believe there are some affordable options being offered like the new L3 or N5 maybe. In combination with a good dap, cable gains will also be more significant. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #41 of 615
  Sure you can get some soundstage effects with a quality cable. But 1) Do you really want to spend $300 on a cable for a $300 iem, and 2) increasing soundstage, whether by cable or in an iem etc. is usually by manipulating the frequencies in some way; like opening up the treble and/or recessing the lower mids. So even if you'd get a wider soundstage, it would change the Primacy's character.

What source are you using? The most significant gains in soundstage dimensions and quality will initially come from a good dap, preferably balanced if you really like soundstage. I believe there are some affordable options being offered like the new L3 or N5 maybe. In combination with a good dap, cable gains will also be more significant. 

Hmm, that's true but it's MMCX connector so it can come in handy with my existing IEMs plus new IEMs down the road.

Currently using a DX50, changing to DP-X1 soon since the audio port is getting wonky without a band over it.

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #44 of 615
Does anyone who owns & enjoys the HD600 also have the Primacy? What are your thoughts on these IEMs, and how they compare to the Sennheiser in terms of timbre and realism?

Although it has been quite some time since I owned the HD600, my feeling is that if you liked the sound of the 600, you will like the Primacy, as they are more similar than different.

Mar 13, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #45 of 615
I have both. Probably easier to break it up.

Bass is similar - Primacy has better overall extension into sub-bass, HD600 has a bit more mid-bass
Mids - quite different. HD600 really quite flat in overall mid-range and then a rise in upper mids. Primacy has a bump in the 1kHz range, but then drops away in the upper mids
Highs - HD600 has better air, more extension. Primacy tuned to be a bit more subdued

Staging / imaging - comparatively HD600 has a much better sense of with and depth (much better on depth) and although Primacy images really well for an IEM it can't compete

Overall - Primacy quite balanced, smaller stage, a little flat and dark through the mid-range. HD600 better in pretty much every way - especially in overall tonality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back