The Open Pandora: An ultimate portable player?
Jan 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #316 of 364
Jan 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #317 of 364
Quote:

Do you emulate rockbox or is it a real rockbox-port?

It's a real port. Not Android, not emulation, the Pandora is running RockBox directly. Flawless and smooth, and doesn't suck up much CPU usage. It is fullscreen-only though, which is honestly preferable when on-the-go.

Still waiting on the Dragonfly... haven't gotten word back yet.

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #318 of 364
Quote:
It's a real port. Not Android, not emulation, the Pandora is running RockBox directly. Flawless and smooth, and doesn't suck up much CPU usage. It is fullscreen-only though, which is honestly preferable when on-the-go.

Still waiting on the Dragonfly... haven't gotten word back yet.

That is cool!

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #319 of 364
That is pretty cool, certainly more desirable to me than this- http://www.head-fi.org/t/645147/new-nvidia-handheld-android-gaming-device-will-this-crash-and-burn .... but then I suppose it will cost a lot more.

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #320 of 364
Quote:
That is pretty cool, certainly more desirable to me than this- http://www.head-fi.org/t/645147/new-nvidia-handheld-android-gaming-device-will-this-crash-and-burn .... but then I suppose it will cost a lot more.

I expect that the Shield won't do well, but I'm still interested.

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #322 of 364
Quote:
I'd rather get the Pandora,... :-/

So would I, but it's still quite intriguing that an industry giant like Nvidia is actually making a device like this, and I'd like to try one out if I get the chance.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #324 of 364
I would prefer the razor edge , it seems way more practical compared to the nvidia shield, I don't really trust a mobile platform to do gaming propererly unless it is designed from the ground up to do so

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #326 of 364
you can't use ordinary laptop as handheld gaming for full on PC gaming, Running windows also means that you can slap on your media player program of choice and then attaching a USB dap/amp of choice.
The nvidia shield runs android and have to be streamed from a PC running a specific graphic card for it to actually run PC game . if you want full on PC handheld gaming the razer edge is the current one in all solution for it

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #328 of 364
The Dragonfly should be waiting for me when I get home. I'm at school for the next 5 hours, and when I get home I'll be doing a lot of listening (and writing!).

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #329 of 364
Got the Dragonfly, very pleased with it. It's a wonderful little DAC.

A few quick thoughts, the Pandora's PCM1773 DAC doesn't seem to be quite as good as the ES9018 in the Dragonfly (which is to be expected considering the massive price difference between the chips), but they're very close. The Dragonfly has a bit more texture and edge in comparison to the Pandora. Neither have any noticeable hiss or interference. The Pandora is only capable of 16/44.1 whereas the Dragonfly can do 24/96. This doesn't really matter since most of my music is 16/44.1 to begin with, but it should still be noted. 

The amps however appear to be on the same level. Both are strong and don't color the sound, and while the Dragonfly does have a little more power than the Pandora's amp, they're not very far apart. Personally I think the Pandora is the better one in this regard because the amp stage of the device is pure analog instead of digital (in other words, the volume isn't controlled digitally). 

The Dragonfly doesn't work directly from the USB HOST port on the Pandora because it's a USB 1.1 device, which requires the use of either a USB hub or USB-OTG. I'm gonna pick up an OTG cable as soon as possible.

Also something to note, the 1GHz Pandora has had a $100 price drop. More should come in the future, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back