The Open Pandora: An ultimate portable player?
Dec 28, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #286 of 364
I feel like sswam is just a shill. He doesn't post anywhere but here, and only sings the praise of the Open Pandora. No better definition. The sig also promotes the product, I wouldn't be surprised to know that its one of the open pandora developer's account. Could just be a diehard fanboy...

Looks the the OP finally got the open pandora.

1. What other sources do you have? I remember you had an iPhone 3G that had been through the wash, and lost some functionality.

2. How is it better?

3. You didn't really mention which version you have. There is Classic, Rebirth, and 1Ghz version.

He's not a developer, but he is a member of the Pandora community. He read this thread and joined to defend the handheld since people were dissing it so hard. Rightfully so, as I'm starting to see exactly why the community members rave about the handheld so much despite its shortcomings. It truly is a wonderful device that can do quite literally anything you want it to if you know what you're doing. There are literally no restrictions.

But that's not what this thread, nor this forum is for.

1: I have my laptop, desktop, PS Vita, iPod Nano 4th gen, iPhone 3G, and FiiO E7 to compare to. I'll be receiving an AudioQuest Dragonfly soon, and I'm gonna ask to borrow my friend's Clip+ as well. Maybe I can borrow a reference-grade DAP like the HM-801 or the RoCoo P from one of the members here. I also might send the handheld to NwAvGuy to have it measured.

2: I'd say the sound is much cleaner and has more texture than any of the other sources. It has plenty of power to spare and drives everything I've thrown at it quite well (except the SE-700). I only just got it, so I don't have much more to say yet other than its a far more engaging and enjoyable experience than my other devices provide.

3: I mentioned earlier that the only diference between the different versions is the CPU and RAM. The audio hardware is exactly the same. I have the Rebirth Edition.

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #287 of 364
Bump. I'll start writing the review tomorrow, it's way too late right now. >_<

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #289 of 364
Quote:
Hi takato14,

I'm waiting eagerly on your review. And how do you "prepare" the files (format, sample rate)

Thanks
Carell

So far I've only used FLAC and ALAC. Most were ripped using EAC from the original CD albums, but a couple older ones were ripped using other programs. One album was ripped to PCM from a video game ROM using an emulator and was then converted to FLAC.

Once I get a larger SD card I'll copy my entire library over (which is a variety of lossy and lossess files). I haven't used SD cards in ages so the largest cards I have are 2GB, and both are currently full.

I'm waiting on the AudioQuest Dragonfly to arrive for comparisons, as that will likely be the best piece of equipment to compare to, but I have started the review. 

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #290 of 364
I'm waiting as well,...make it a good review!!! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #291 of 364
Quote:
I feel like sswam is just a shill.

Well, I am new here, came for the Pandora fight, since it's something I care about.  Definitely a fanboy, have no financial interest except that I donate to the project.

Please refer me to another thread on head-fi that might interest me.

I did post a tiny review of my headphones, which I am very happy with.

My Volvo V70 seems to have a fairly nice stereo in it, perhaps more enjoyable than the head-phones, or maybe I just need to clean them.  I like it when the bass shakes my body a bit, not only my ear drums!

I studied music, but am not an hi-fi expert, I'm sure you can see that.  I waste too much time programming computers, and I'm designing a graphical programming language.

My main interest with music now, is to use true harmonic tuning in electronic music; the notes of the chromatic scale are each related to the tonic by a simple fraction, rather than the twelfth root of two.  Maybe I will start a thread on that topic.  We can dwell on perfect reproduction, but it is also be nice to play the notes in tune.  I think this "true tuning" can make a great difference to the sound and enjoyment of music.

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #293 of 364
its too expensive for what it is, you can can get some with better hardware working better for a cheaper price, like for example the samsung galaxy s3, you can use it as emulator too and get a controller for it.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #295 of 364
Quote:
Which one of the music player Pnd, did you use to test the pandora , because last I check and I might be wrong, my audiocious won't play alac files

I have used Audacious, DeadBeef, and Rockbox so far. Rockbox is looking to be the player of choice, though it's only fullscreen so sometimes I use DeadBeef instead. DeadBeef is basically Foobar2000, it even has the same EQ.

Audacious cannot play ALAC. There might be a plugin, but I haven't checked.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #296 of 364
Quote:
its too expensive for what it is, you can can get some with better hardware working better for a cheaper price, like for example the samsung galaxy s3, you can use it as emulator too and get a controller for it.

The GS3 doesn't have better audio hardware, nor does it have built-in gaming controls. The Pandora's gaming controls are very nice and well-polished; very responsive and great feel. The Pandora's CPU may be lacking a bit but it can easily overclock to 1+ GHz. Everything but Nintendo 64 games are perfect, even PSX titles running at double the video resolution of the original console.

Additionally, it doesn't have to run a resource-hogging OS like Android while using emulators so most of the time the Pandora will perform better than the GS3 and other Android smartphones simply because of that fact. Android is not lightweight by any means, and certain processes always have to be running for it to even function. This severely cripples emulation performance.

And if you think about it, the Pandora is actually cheaper than any decent phone out there unless it is bought with a service contract. Most phones are at least $600 without service. I've even seen some get into the $800s. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #297 of 364
The Dragonfly should be on its way to me by the end of the week. There was an issue with one of the other contest winners.

Bump.

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #298 of 364
I feel the title is misleading so people expect a good music player, and are confronted with a niche device that plays games and might play music well too. It may be clean, but so are cheaper devices, and it might be good, but its enormous and isn't marketed as a good player. No mention of interface or anything besides its a mini linux laptop... and linux isn't known to be easy to use.

I was very upset with it because it was delayed nonstop and now that its out, I feel its much too outdated and the asking price is too high. I'm not the niche tho.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #300 of 364
It is isn't , the thing is rather retro looking I doubt it will appeal to much of the fans of current day styling. I do wish the thing have at least a flip screen(and a better keyboard, and 2 shoulder buttons) so you can use it as an actual music player rather than a halfway do it all device at least that is how it feel it is

Addendum , I compared the SQ using ultrasone hfi2400, and my beyer Dt1350, using the same song in ALAC, to an ipod connected with a fiio e17 through its line out with the fiio acting as an amp
Conclusion: I still like the ipods SQ  better, lets see how it hold up when I compare it with a note 2 with a USB dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back