The Open Pandora: An ultimate portable player?
Nov 8, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #196 of 364
People though can spot a pointless dated piece of nonsense a mile away.

Haters will hate!

These people developed their own computer, with an unique feature-set!  It is an awesome achievement.  Even if you don't much like the end result, I'm asking you to respect that achievement.  Or perhaps other people will lose respect for you, and your achievements.

The Pandora is not "dated nonsense", it is still the only device of its type.

Sure, some aspects of the current Pandora, such as the CPU and RAM, are a little out of date in 2012.  It still does perform very well.

Many people seem to like the "chunky retro look".  I get enough attention when I'm using it.  Perhaps you'd prefer "slick but boring"?

I expect that the Pandora 2 development will be much quicker and smoother.  The developers have gained a lot of experience, found reliable production companies, and improved their technologies.  So far, they have produced and sold the original Pandora, Pandora "rebirth", Pandora "1GHz", and iControlPad.  The iControlPad2 has been funded to over $200K by a kickstarter campaign.  Development and production of iCP2 is ongoing.  Pandora 2 will, I suppose, be the sixth successful product.  They are getting better at this game.

I think the Pandora 2 is going to have at least: the latest and greatest ARM CPU, plenty of RAM, an HD screen, cell internet, HIFI audio, and last but not least an RGB backlight.  Who can argue with HIFI audio, 8 LEDs and an RGB backlight?!  That's one sexy device.

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #197 of 364
Quote:

I think the Pandora 2 is going to have at least: the latest and greatest ARM CPU, plenty of RAM, an HD screen, cell internet, HIFI audio, and last but not least an RGB backlight.  Who can argue with HIFI audio, 8 LEDs and an RGB backlight?!  That's one sexy device.

Yes but its still a harder to use more time consuming and less productive way of doing any of the tasks its meant to do.  Its not so much the products parts etc thats out of date (which they are) but the whole neccessity of the concept.  Time will prove me right on this im sure.  This is the sinclair c5 of the tech world.

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #198 of 364
The faster they get it out the more mainstream appeal it will have.   The slower they move the more of a niche product it will become.  I've kept an eye on this project off and on for years.  I wanted one back in 2008 when they started taking payments. I decided it wasn't worth the money TO ME by the time they started shipping in 2010.

It was so cool back then.... Pandora 2 might be so cool again, if it comes out before it becomes irrelevant to consumers like me.  If not they will never get my money.

I love Linux, I like portable gaming, I like retro stuff, I like audio, I love gadgets.   I have well over 20 unique video game consoles and quite a few spares, I'm on my third smartphone.  I am willing to spend money for gadgets that I really want.  I should be the ideal target consumer, but I am uninterested.  It doesn't fill any specific need and the hardware just isn't powerful enough to trigger my gadget lust. 

I have gadgets that fill every need this does more efficiently. I want to like it.  I want to obsess over it, I want to care about it like I did in 2008.  I just can't.  I'm not hating.  It was a cool project and I am glad they have completed it.  Perhaps with the help kick-starter they will get projects shipped much faster.

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #199 of 364
Quote:
The faster they get it out the more mainstream appeal it will have.   The slower they move the more of a niche product it will become.  I've kept an eye on this project off and on for years.  I wanted one back in 2008 when they started taking payments. I decided it wasn't worth the money TO ME by the time they started shipping in 2010.

It was so cool back then.... Pandora 2 might be so cool again, if it comes out before it becomes irrelevant to consumers like me.  If not they will never get my money.

I love Linux, I like portable gaming, I like retro stuff, I like audio, I love gadgets.   I have well over 20 unique video game consoles and quite a few spares, I'm on my third smartphone.  I am willing to spend money for gadgets that I really want.  I should be the ideal target consumer, but I am uninterested.  It doesn't fill any specific need and the hardware just isn't powerful enough to trigger my gadget lust. 

I have gadgets that fill every need this does more efficiently. I want to like it.  I want to obsess over it, I want to care about it like I did in 2008.  I just can't.  I'm not hating.  It was a cool project and I am glad they have completed it.  Perhaps with the help kick-starter they will get projects shipped much faster.

This point is very valid.

However, making your second console is MUCH different than making your first. They actually have all the funds they need and have all of the kinks worked out in production to actually get the Pandora 2 out within a reasonable amount of time once the design is finished. Many, MANY issues in production (after the prototype was completely finished) happened that slowed everything. it was basically a case where everything that COULD have gone wrong, did. Now that they have everything worked out the Pandora 2 won't take half the time it took to get the Pandora 1 out.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #200 of 364
Well it better be relevant then? rather than the outdated pandora is , even with 3 of its iteration, considering in 3 year time we probably have something that is basically a current day laptop in our pocket , so the pandora have to be even more powerful than that , and yet still fits in the price tag

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #201 of 364
True.  I expect to be carrying a 2.0ghz quad core cpu phone with a 5" 720p+ screen and a very nice gpu in it.   This is not much past the top of the line now in android phones.  Personally with ubuntu for android coming out,  I think a phone and a nice dock would be able to make a good client computer.  Especially if they support an external DAC.

Honestly I think the smartphone/super-phone is a concept that will fade away in a few decades.  When high speed connections are everywhere we will probably see an influx of cheap thin client phones.  Just slim pieces of ceramic, glass, and plastic that will give us access to a virtual machine on a server. We'll probably be leasing our phone OS from the service provider.  Instead of buying hardware we will be paying for server space and software access.  Really there are only two types of computing devices, the client and the server.   With virtualization and faster data rates the client side will look more and more standardized.  If the apps are the same, who cares if you use apple, android, linux, windows, or any other OS.  That is just a personal preference.  All the real work will be done on the server.

I wish them luck.  It could be a cool client device, but the competion is stiff.

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #202 of 364
@takato14: I would suggest you, if you like it buy it. This would have two good aspects. One is that you will see if you can handle 600mhz (once you had a quad core arm device in your hand, you probably won't go back to a slow 600mhz device... you know what I mean). The other good aspect and the most important is: make a review and post it on your first post. This would make this thread more useful.

As some here follow a pragmatic free speech strategy, so why shouldn't I say something too...
What if all those mainstream IPod "super device" userers, strongly influenced by marketing, jump from a cliff, just because the mainstream say so?? If english were my native language I would have been much more sarcastic. It is also ironic that for example (RIP) Steve Jobs, just like the Pandora Team, started in their garage and developed a product that was far from perfect, but back then people gave them a chance.

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #204 of 364
Quote:
Interesting. 

I'd look for that if my iPhone didn't go through the washer and lose its wireless capability. 

Either way, I don't care anymore. I'm getting the Pandora for myself this Christmas and it will be part of my portable rig. I was just seeing if others wanted to do the same considering all of the possible things you could use with it. Quite literally any amp, any USB-based DAC, and any format you want to use, it can do it.

Quote:
Wait so you still dont own this and are still touting it as being the greatest thing??

Quote:
This has been established.

You don't need to own a Stax SR009 to know it's the absolute king of all headphones.

Quote:
I am pretty sure to not having ever seen someone preach so passionately about a piece of gear that they do not own.

Or am I wrong- has takato14 got one of these devices.  

@CantScareMe....read the above quotes, and you shall have your answer....

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #205 of 364
Quote:
@takato14: I would suggest you, if you like it buy it. This would have two good aspects. One is that you will see if you can handle 600mhz (once you had a quad core arm device in your hand, you probably won't go back to a slow 600mhz device... you know what I mean). The other good aspect and the most important is: make a review and post it on your first post. This would make this thread more useful.

As some here follow a pragmatic free speech strategy, so why shouldn't I say something too...
What if all those mainstream IPod "super device" userers, strongly influenced by marketing, jump from a cliff, just because the mainstream say so?? If english were my native language I would have been much more sarcastic. It is also ironic that for example (RIP) Steve Jobs, just like the Pandora Team, started in their garage and developed a product that was far from perfect, but back then people gave them a chance.

Dude. I have a 600MHz Droid A855. The Pandora will be great.

The Pandora is good at what it does, it'll be very smooth and very nice, because its OS is specifically tailored to the hardware. The only thing that's even slightly choppy or slow is the N64 emulator, and most phones can't do that right either. Everything else (including the PSX emulator) is very, VERY smooth.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #206 of 364
I do have a pandora, and I can tell you as a media rig , my galaxy note 2 is doing way way better
I wouldn't like everything changing to online client based , that would be unreliable for some country and actual loss in features rather than gaining it , there are points in the world where there is no internet connection and suddenly your phone is a ceramic cracker

Its not about chances, its not about how indie it is , its about how relevant it is to its market beyond several extremely niche customer , Steve jobs garage machine was given a chance because there is an interest and it is actually relevant to the market

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #208 of 364
Quote:
I do have a pandora, and I can tell you as a media rig , my galaxy note 2 is doing way way better
I wouldn't like everything changing to online client based , that would be unreliable for some country and actual loss in features rather than gaining it , there are points in the world where there is no internet connection and suddenly your phone is a ceramic cracker

Its not about chances, its not about how indie it is , its about how relevant it is to its market beyond several extremely niche customer , Steve jobs garage machine was given a chance because there is an interest and it is actually relevant to the market

I would like to see a Samsung Exynos processor in the Pandora 2, everything elese kept the same. Well, this is a wish and I do not know how tight the bonds between Pandora and TI are, although there are some good omap options too. I say this, because there are some dev boards available in the area of 100-200 € for the Exynos. I haven't seen any Tegra boards around (below 1k)..

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #209 of 364
Quote:
Quote:

I would like to see a Samsung Exynos processor in the Pandora 2, everything elese kept the same. Well, this is a wish and I do not know how tight the bonds between Pandora and TI are, although there are some good omap options too. I say this, because there are some dev boards available in the area of 100-200 € for the Exynos. I haven't seen any Tegra boards around (below 1k)..

Not sure what they'll choose. The original Pandora was designed around <not> having the best of everything, it was designed around having a good balance of quality between all of the parts.

Honestly, this is what I expect from the Pandora 2:

--1280x720 5" AMOLED
--Wifi/3G/4G capability
--1.2-2.0 GHz Dual-Core CPU
--PowerVR SGX544 or higher
--1-2GB RAM

Quad-core CPUs are a bad idea, because most of them heat up too much and don't overclock well.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #210 of 364
If anything, I would expect it to be able to emulate the next gen console compared to what the pandora can emulate , that is PS2 and Gamecubes , only then It will have enough appeal for me to dump money into it , since if it take 3 years of dev time , at that point we might have gotten something else way better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back