The Open Pandora: An ultimate portable player?
Nov 14, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #226 of 364
Quote:
I don't have a source link, this is common sense (at least for someone who's in IT school). 

Think about it. Multiple cores running alongside each other is going to generate a LOT more heat than just one running at the same speed. The more heat a CPU generates the less you can overclock it. As CPU cores get more advanced core temperature usually goes down, which allows for higher clock ratings. 

I am looking forward for anything to come. :)

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #227 of 364
Quote:
i have business/everyday laptop that is the  Vaio SB, it came with 8 core intel 64 bit at  2.8 ghz  or so , and I can emulate PCSX2 with 60 FPS on most games

Yeah my ASUS dynamically clocks up to 3.3GHz on demand, but it had trouble with that game Shadow of the Colossus.
It's a particularly heavy game.  I heard it runs slow sometimes even on the real PS2 hardware.
I guess the Pandora 2 will struggle with it at best!

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #228 of 364
lol this thread

Everyone here is being trolled by a 13yo kid who doesn't have the device, is pulling information out of a donkey's behind, making up specs of a nonexistent device and 'common sense' which is just something a young teenager thinks makes sense.

This is an expensive gaming device used to play old copyright games that most people think is outdated, and are not the niche they are trying to reach. Why is this still around here?

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #229 of 364
popcorn.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #230 of 364
Quote:
lol this thread

Everyone here is being trolled by a 13yo kid who doesn't have the device, is pulling information out of a donkey's behind, making up specs of a nonexistent device and 'common sense' which is just something a young teenager thinks makes sense.

This is an expensive gaming device used to play old copyright games that most people think is outdated, and are not the niche they are trying to reach. Why is this still around here?

I'm 19. I'm in college.

I'm not trolling. All of this information is real, I've heavily researched this product. Everything I have said about it has been verified with many users of the device. I'm sharing my findings with fellow head-fi'ers because I thought it was pretty neat that this gaming device has great audio. I'm pretty sure everyone here would agree that if someone bought an expensive headphone without researching it first, then they'd be asking for trouble.

I'm going to have it this Christmas, and hopefully I can confirm what my research is telling me. 

I guessed the specs of the Pandora 2 based on what I'd like to see from the unit, because I feel that the parts I chose, while not TOTL, would make a great handheld that wouldn't be 3x the cost of most consoles yet would still have plenty of power. I've personally put my suggestions to the audio designer, Michael Weston, to improve the audio for the Pandora 2 as well. 

Who says my two biggest hobbies can't cross? I've wanted the Pandora for games for a very long time, and now I ALSO want it for audio because apparently an audiophile was on the dev team and put really expensive parts in it. And, when you think about it, have you ever tried plugging your old consoles into your audio equipment, and listening to them through headphones? They don't sound very good because DACs from that time were very bad. Even my N64 was absolutely terrible when I tried it; I was trying to rip a game's OST to FLAC. 

Using emulators, you aren't restricted by whatever crappy parts the company happened to put in their consoles back then. This kinda makes this unit an audiophile portable gaming device, which is pretty damn cool if you ask me.

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #231 of 364
^ That is pretty damn cool. Of course I never tried what you just did, but I certainly do marvel at how awesome my games collection sounds on my Pandora.
smile.gif

... Thanks for educating me a bit.

On the point of a gaming experience that's *better* than the original...

Did you know Notaz has recently released a new version of PCSX ReARMed (Playstation) for the Pandora with double resolution rendering for games that use 3D?

Rather epic if you ask me... Playstation emulation better than the original. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #232 of 364
Quote:

Did you know Notaz has recently released a new version of PCSX ReARMed (Playstation) for the Pandora with double resolution rendering for games that use 3D?

Wow, really looking forward to that. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #233 of 364
Bump. ~19 days left.

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #235 of 364
Quote:
Quote:
Bump. ~19 days left.

Truly hope you are not bumping the thread every day:frowning2: but am looking forward to a review. takato14 which other DAP;s do you own. (like DX100 or HIFIMAN 801)

iPhone 3G, iPod Nano. Have my trusty E7 to compare to as well. 

Also have my PS Vita (which has a high-end wolfson). Should be enough to compare to. Might ask to borrow my friend's Clip+.

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #239 of 364
Quote:
Damm that sucks dude, it'll be even more outta date then than it is now!

Hahaha, good one.

The Pandora is a special product that will not appeal to everybody. Even if it's hardware is outdated and UI is crappy and you have to flip the sucker open to access your music. The fact remains that a small dedicated group desided to build this.

It is like Head-fiers get together to design their own DAP and work with one of the manifacturers to actually make it happen. Differentce is that the guys from Pandora not anly talked about it but actually did it.

So lets start a thread about building a Head-fi15 DAP of the future:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back