The Opamp thread
Oct 5, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #1,142 of 7,383
one thing's that's really pathetic is when you see ppl wasting half a grand(or more!) on a cryo cable blabla blessed by whatever shaman up in the hills(and then plug it to an ipod
biggrin.gif
)....when a simple $7 op-amp roll will give you FAR more definition/SS improvements than any recabling ever will...classical music(especially violins) sounds so amazing on the 2132P
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #1,143 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12Bass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, how does OPA2134 sound compared to OPA2132? Although some have said they sound basically the same, I found that OPA2132 had a little more detail on top and might have been a bit more natural. Don't recall much difference in the lows. I could live with the OPA2132 in some circuits, although it is a bit too dark/veiled for my taste. Found the OPA2134 a bit odd... sort of "phasey" in the highs.

Personally, I found the 2132 a bit boring as you said just dark,veiled..nothing special. -Some like that type of soudn depending on gear.
The 2134 is not bad but again there are better units based on personal taste. The 2134 seems to be widely recommend as a "gereric" audio opamp. Although I find it can offer improvements over other generics,

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #1,144 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12Bass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You prefer OPA2107 to OPA211/2211A? Not me. What application?

I would also take the 211 over the OPA2107 although the 2107 can produce some great sound also depending on the circuit application.

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #1,145 of 7,383
After screwing around with the various LT opamps, I finally settled down and after about 40 hours of burn-in on the dual LME49710HA module I built, did a comparison to the single LME49720HA module. I don't know if it's placebo or not, but I did find that the 2 LME49710HAs sounded better than the LME49720HA. Both modules had at least 40 hours on them. The 49710s sounded more dynamic to my ears as line out drivers for my PCM1793 Peridot DAC. If it is placebo, then so be it...I can live with that.
biggrin.gif

I do find that the LME opamps...after adequate burn-in...yield a more consistent and balanced sound. I am very impressed with the soundstage and the smooth mids. No harshness in the upper regions either. Just the right amount of sparkle. The bass is deep, but doesn't overpower the other frequency ranges.

I think I will give the obsessive rolling a rest for a while and simply concentrate on burning in the various modules I have. Once done with that, then I can do a more useful (at least to me) comparison. Plus, I have a used Lite Dac-AH coming in that I plan to mod based on the various threads here. That should adequately take my mind off rolling opamps for a while. Of course, if I keep the active output of the Dac-AH, I'll have more opamps to roll.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #1,147 of 7,383
it's funny how different applications/voltages yield different results...anyone cares to swap these 497x0HA for a OPA2132P and post his impressions as a buffer?

I have yet to find an op-amp giving such surreal ultra-detailed mids, it seems to add a new super-wide SS of its own digging for hidden stuff within the side channels...some sort of fourth dimension or something, you don't just hear the sound you get to live it
biggrin.gif

it gave me the same exact impression as I/V on the STX/ST or as line buffer on the HD2...it's the exact sound I'm imagining a burson would give....thinking that a burson would give an even more organic flowing sound is scary actually! too bad they require a cap and some soldering, otherwise I'd be willing to try one...but I like PNP stuff
redface.gif

IIRC 2132P was Andrea's favorite a little while ago
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #1,148 of 7,383
just rolled with HDAM Moon in DAC and 2 LME49720 and i have to say i am quite impressed when i am listening to it with a AKG K702. the huge soundstage really match each other quite well.

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #1,149 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After screwing around with the various LT opamps, I finally settled down and after about 40 hours of burn-in on the dual LME49710HA module I built, did a comparison to the single LME49720HA module. I don't know if it's placebo or not, but I did find that the 2 LME49710HAs sounded better than the LME49720HA. Both modules had at least 40 hours on them. The 49710s sounded more dynamic to my ears as line out drivers for my PCM1793 Peridot DAC. If it is placebo, then so be it...I can live with that.
biggrin.gif

Your not alone in that thought. I also think the dual module sounds better then the single dual chip and there are two or three other members on Head-fi that performed similar tests and take the Dual LME49710 module over the single dual channel 720HA. All that I have talked to that have done the similar testing reports very similar results.
Quote:

I do find that the LME opamps...after adequate burn-in...yield a more consistent and balanced sound. I am very impressed with the soundstage and the smooth mids. No harshness in the upper regions either. Just the right amount of sparkle. The bass is deep, but doesn't overpower the other frequency ranges.

Yes, they are a excellent module for audio use.
Quote:

I think I will give the obsessive rolling a rest for a while and simply concentrate on burning in the various modules I have. Once done with that, then I can do a more useful (at least to me) comparison. Plus, I have a used Lite Dac-AH coming in that I plan to mod based on the various threads here. That should adequately take my mind off rolling opamps for a while. Of course, if I keep the active output of the Dac-AH, I'll have more opamps to roll.
very_evil_smiley.gif

That is usually a good idea. Taking the time to sit and enjoy the opamps instead of constantly comparing them.
wink_face.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #1,150 of 7,383
so you guys are too scared to hate the 497x0HA resonances afterwards to try replacing it w/ an OPA2132P for a few mins?
biggrin.gif

but well, it also comes down to your cans....I really don't like the 1364+2132 combo on my stock cd3k, when OTOH it gives a totally enveloping 3D sound on my modded cd1k(same drivers as cd3k, less bloated bass, clearer trebles, wider SS).....so indeed, it's pretty much impossible to choose op-amps from a datasheet
rolleyes.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #1,151 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so you guys are too scared to hate the 497x0HA resonances afterwards to try replacing it w/ an OPA2132P for a few mins?
biggrin.gif

but well, it also comes down to your cans....I really don't like the 1364+2132 combo on my stock cd3k, when OTOH it gives a totally enveloping 3D sound on my modded cd1k(same drivers as cd3k, less bloated bass, clearer trebles, wider SS).....so indeed, it's pretty much impossible to choose op-amps from a datasheet
rolleyes.gif

I've already tried the OPA2132P and OPA2132PA. I like them very much but feel the LMEs are better.

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #1,152 of 7,383
any diff between OPA2132P/OPA2132PA? but well, higher grades always seem to sound better for audio.

I'm quite sure you would hate the resonances of the 49720HA after rolling the 2132P for a while...it's just got those magic grainy mids and a surreal(yes perfectly natural) SS, totally amazing
smily_headphones1.gif

to me the 49720HA cuts the SS in way too many slices, hence SS is artificial to death...and the trebles hahahahaha

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #1,153 of 7,383
Quote:

I've already tried the OPA2132P and OPA2132PA. I like them very much but feel the LMEs are better.

I have also tested out the 2132's and find they are nothing special and I prefer the LME49720 over them and easily prefer the LME49710HA over it.

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #1,154 of 7,383
Quote:

Have you tried the class A procedure with this module?
How about a Pic of the LME49710HA module?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back