The Opamp thread
Sep 30, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #1,021 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No way! I'll have to check the 1677's again but to my memory they were quite unremarkable. Off I go again, back in a bit no doubt to feast on a large slice of humble pie
tongue.gif

Have you ever seen him??
ph34r.gif

well, after rolling the 1469 I started to hear the ugly side of the 1364...some nasty resonances in the trebles, that the 1678 simply doesn't have. the same sort of ugly stuff the 49720HA has too.

I always wonder if the op-amps don't break-in...in a bad way. why would break-in always be positive ?! I often got that feeling w/ the 4562/49720 series. very nice for a few days, then either they broke-out, my brain suddenly refused to adapt or I dunno.

anyway, the 1678 SS is way wider than the 1364, yet not artificial like the 49720
beerchug.gif

PS: nah, I was just kidding about Andrea...but he's typed so much on so many forums for so many years about op-amps monologues. I guess he had plenty of time to work out what sounds GOOD ^^

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #1,022 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbretzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi guys
wink.gif

I've just put 2 LT1361 into the Headphones section of my Zero, with an OPA-Moon as DAC opamp...

and...
it's difficult to explain, I'm now listening "Dido Live at Brixton academy" and the soundstage seems less open and spacy as with the LM4562, but the bass deeper and warm than with the LM4562
I like this "bass bonus", it's colored, and, yes, the word is "warm"...
maybe the soundstage will go larger after burning period.... (?)
well, just a little post to explain my "feeling" with this combination
wink.gif

Your ears have to make the final call. If you have a new set try them out for a while and hear what they have to offer you. If htese aren't quite right based on what you want. Move on to something else.

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #1,023 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbretzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you think there's a difference between 4562 and 49720 ? I've got both of them and I've read some posts that say "stay away from the 49720...
ph34r.gif
" it doesn't sound as good as the 4562.... (?)

According to National Semi the only difference between the LM4562NA and the LME49720NA is the paint on the label. The TO-99 opamps sound different over the chip opamps though. They are like any other opamps as some like them for their gear and application and others don't.

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #1,024 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your ears have to make the final call. If you have a new set try them out for a while and hear what they have to offer you. If htese aren't quite right based on what you want. Move on to something else.

Hi Robscix
wink_face.gif

tomorrow I'll try 2 x LME49860 in the headamp section... and I'll see...
but for now, I'm going to sleep... 23h54 here in France... if I don't stop now, I'm here at least for 2 hours
L3000.gif
see you tomorrow for my feedback
redface.gif

good night

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #1,025 of 7,383
So I've listened some to the LT1364CN8 through the headphone out of my Essence STX and I'm wondering if someone like ROBSCIX can see a pattern here. Is this chips' current output higher than what would be called low maybe?

It's difficult to put into words, but this one doesn't sound natural - there's something weird going on. It's like everything is restrained, highs almost sound distorted(?) and lows are lacking (for want of a better word). But nothing is bad to such an extent that I would call it really faulty. It's definitely not a sonic match - question is just what properties are wrong (if any).

Quoting from the first page of the Essence STX tweaking thread:
Quote:

LT1364 : I didn't like these very much. Bass seems neutral, but lacks punch. Mid and highs are well balanced, but soundstage isn't that much better than 2114. Detail is improved. Sounds too weightless.

Think I more or less agree with this

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #1,026 of 7,383
I got my Digikey order containing some 2.2k resistors. I first soldered 2 resistors to 2 DIP sockets and then mounted them on a 2 DIP8 to 1 DIP8 BD adapter. I soldered the resistor to pins 6 and 7 on the DIP8 sockets. Excuse my sloppy soldering job...this was my first time soldering a resistor and I have big hands.

P1050631.jpg

P1050629.jpg

I tested it out with some 1357 opamps I just got. I still need to do some burn-in and listening, but WOWZA! I will elaborate after some more listening. I then said to myself..."Self, why not try putting 2 resistors on 1 DIP8 socket for Dual opamps?" And so I did...

P1050624.jpg

P1050626.jpg

P1050628.jpg

I soldered one resistor from Pin 8 to Pin 1. The second resistor I soldered from Pin 8 to Pin 7. I popped in my current favorite LT1678 and there is improvement across the board. The clarity improved so much that I got goosebumps listening to some Therion. That hasn't happened in a while.

Tomorrow, I will cook up the dual LME49710HAs and post pics. I'm off to do some more listening!
beerchug.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #1,028 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my Digikey order containing some 2.2k resistors. I first soldered 2 resistors to 2 DIP sockets and then mounted them on a 2 DIP8 to 1 DIP8 BD adapter. I soldered the resistor to pins 6 and 7 on the DIP8 sockets. Excuse my sloppy soldering job...this was my first time soldering a resistor and I have big hands.

Some from initial testing your enjoying what you heard over the same units without biasing?

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #1,030 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some from initial testing your enjoying what you heard over the same units without biasing?

Yes. The LT1678 I have been listening to for the last several days and I know it well. The improvement with biasing was immediate. Again, I'm using these as the line out driver for a Peridot (PCM1793) DAC.

OK...SCRATCH THAT!!! I have been burning the dual class a socket in for about an hour and decided to touch the top of the chip. OUCH....hot.
eek.gif
I'm yanking this sucker now.

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #1,031 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hell if I know. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that a single channel opamp can be biased to class a by adding a resistor between V+ (Pin 7) and OUT (Pin 6). So, I did the same thing with a dual channel opamp.

Ah ok.

It is generally accepted that using V- gives better results. See:

Biasing Op-Amps into Class A

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #1,033 of 7,383
some ppl don't believe that resistors can turn an op-amp into class A, and will simply make the IC overheat..

it might help if the original design wasn't meant for the new op-amp specs...but it'd need an oscilloscope anyway.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #1,034 of 7,383
Yeah...I think I need to quit while I still have a working DAC. I'll solder up another set of single adapters with resistors between the OUT and V-. Then I can compare the 2. As for the dual socket....I'm done...stick a fork in me.
redface.gif

EDIT: After an hour or so using the 2 single class A adapters on the BD adapter, the chips got just as hot as with the dual class A adapter. I guess that is a normal side effect of biasing?

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #1,035 of 7,383
hey guys, i have received my Zero 2009 version and put in a HDAM Moon in the DAC section, what would you all reccomend to put in headphone section. i have tried LT1364 but i find them too be too sharp(?)( essentially really high treble, no bass at all ). is there a opamp i should try that would give it a better punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back