The Opamp thread
Sep 11, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #706 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I pretty much experienced the same thing with the OPA1612. And, like you, I prefer the LT1057 over it and just about every other opamp I've tried (although the jury is still out on the LT1358CN8). In fact, I bought...yes, actually bought, a handful of the LT1057ACN8s for my other devices and for backups.

Cool, guess that maybe Linear's sampling program is beginning to pay off then?
smily_headphones1.gif

For me, the LT1358CN8#PBF is no competition for the LT1057ACN8 though being a decent opamp.

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #707 of 7,383
I currently have both LME49722MA and LT1678CS8#PBF here but only one pair of SOIC to DIP adapters. So I'm asking you guys for advice. Which should I go for first with testing in my Essence STX? I'll eventually order some more Brown Dogs though.

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #709 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was a fun experience, trying to work with such small things. I think the tip of my iron is somewhat too clunky, but with a little help of the soldering braid I managed to clean it all up and get rid of the bridges. Made me a little worried that I might have heated the opamps too long, but it seems that was not the case.

My iron has a very pointed tip and I touch up the point before I do a build.
I find the type of solder you use helps a great deal also. I use the Cardas Quad as it has such a low melting point. You can move quickly from point to point and don't need to spend to much time heating one joint.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #710 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have both LME49722MA and LT1678CS8#PBF here but only one pair of SOIC to DIP adapters. So I'm asking you guys for advice. Which should I go for first with testing in my Essence STX? I'll eventually order some more Brown Dogs though.

I don't have the LME49722MA, but I did mount the LT1678CS8 on a BD adapter already. It's a decent opamp reminiscent of the LT1358. I may need to give it another listen as I have been modding headphones like crazy lately. From my perspective, I would recommend you mount the LME49722MA and report back since I haven't heard that one yet.
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #711 of 7,383
LME49722MA it is then
beyersmile.png

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #712 of 7,383
I'm piecing something together with a few work buddies ala CMoy with USB and DAC and find the LME49722MA interesting - hope you like 'course right now it looks as my number one from a spec' point of view. BTW we ARE doing a 8-pin socket just for security and the run of rolling
biggrin.gif
...thought some of the guys are not from R'n'D so we might have to teach them about all the tech stuff - they mainly got in because being a audio company its just silly to spend hundred of USD on a system if we can have fun making our own...

Thanks for all the inputs here!

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #713 of 7,383
I just got finished building two dual 1611 modules. I have only tested in buffer postion so far but they sound not too bad. They are new though as the solder cooled and I popped them in the circuit for testing. I wil have to spend more time with them before I make up my mind.

Back to soldering...

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #714 of 7,383
I just wanted to post some pics of my zero with 3 earth hdams inside. It's a bit of a pain in the butt to get them in. I ended up cobbing up some insulating material by scavenging a weller desoldering pump package. I am a bit worried about noise issues from having the one hdam so close to the transformer but I can't hear any difference in the channels so far so hopefully that won't be an issue.

What stinks is I've only had about 10 minutes to listen to them because of my work schedule and my sister's wedding this weekend. To make things worse my hp out jack on my predator isn't working and needs to be sent back to ray for service. I'll have to see if my nuforce is acting up or i'm having a usb issue with my EeePC. I have 3 more hours here in the back of the car on the way to rhode island to test it out. It's not that easy typing while my sister's driving.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #716 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by crapback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to post some pics of my zero with 3 earth hdams inside. It's a bit of a pain in the butt to get them in. I ended up cobbing up some insulating material by scavenging a weller desoldering pump package. I am a bit worried about noise issues from having the one hdam so close to the transformer but I can't hear any difference in the channels so far so hopefully that won't be an issue.

What stinks is I've only had about 10 minutes to listen to them because of my work schedule and my sister's wedding this weekend. To make things worse my hp out jack on my predator isn't working and needs to be sent back to ray for service. I'll have to see if my nuforce is acting up or i'm having a usb issue with my EeePC. I have 3 more hours here in the back of the car on the way to rhode island to test it out. It's not that easy typing while my sister's driving.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck with the HDAMs. Initially, I was impressed with all of them in my Compass and preferred the SUN for it's aggressive nature. However, after rolling other opamps in my bagged/repaired Compass and Peridot DAC, my attitude toward them has changed somewhat. IMHO, the LT1057, LT1358 and the LM49720HA are much better sounding than any of the HDAMs. Of course, that is my opinion and ymmv.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #717 of 7,383
yeah, I've come to the conclusion that these Audio-GD parts are not really worth the trouble...you'd better go Burson or nothing, but then you need to add caps and sockets. at least the Audio-GD's are PNP.

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #718 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good luck with the HDAMs. Initially, I was impressed with all of them in my Compass and preferred the SUN for it's aggressive nature. However, after rolling other opamps in my bagged/repaired Compass and Peridot DAC, my attitude toward them has changed somewhat. IMHO, the LT1057, LT1358 and the LM49720HA are much better sounding than any of the HDAMs. Of course, that is my opinion and ymmv.

I find the existing HDAM modules have a very different signature then alot of opamps. I think it depends a great deal on the circuitry,what type of signature your personally like and of course your speaker/phones.
I know quite a few guys that use HDAMS and love them and they have tested many opamps for comparison. On the flip side I know guys that prefer the chip opamps. Personally, I like to use a combination of both for certain circuits.
only HDAMS for some and only chips for others. Whatever gives me the sound I am looking for.

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #719 of 7,383
I like the brief first impressions that I got but I won't get a chance to do any serious listening until sunday. It's gonna be tough to tear me away from the 797/1361 combo that's my favorite so far. I think my expectations were a little high from everything I've read about the hdams. They definitely weren't as drastic a difference from the chips as I thought they were going to be. What surprises me most from the short time running them is how warm they get. They didn't get hot, just nice and toasty warm so they give off that nice circuity smell.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #720 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by crapback /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Personally, I'd be concerned about the long wire extensions from the DIP sockets. That's likely to be a breeding ground for all sorts of stability issues and noise pickup. How do you manage to bypass the power connections on that arrangement? Ideally you want the bypass capacitors to have very short connections between power pin and the correct ground point. Do the modules have built-in power supply bypassing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back