The Opamp thread
Sep 12, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #721 of 7,383
I was a bit worried about EMI/RFI issues with the long leads but I can turn the volume all the way up with winamp/medimonkey/foobar paused and there is just a slightly audible bit of hiss that is even in both channels. I thought there might be a bit of hum from the transformer's magnetic field but there was no hum at all. I would love to be able to come up with a better arrangement than the use of the long extension leads but I drive a truck for a living and for me to be able to bring my zero with me I need to be able to keep it closed up. If I could leave the top of all the time i'd probably just stack a couple dip sockets till the hdams could clear the caps on the HA.

I'm a bit of a noob in electronics so i'm not quite sure what you are talking about bypassing. All I know is there are a pair of bypass caps on each module and I have bypass caps on all the electrolytic caps of the frankenzero mod plus a few. Are you saying that the length of the leads is decreasing the effectiveness of the bypass caps on the modules? This is all a fun learning experience for me so all advice is appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #723 of 7,383
Yes I loved the LT1028, but with all this talk about the LT1057 I wanted to hear it again...

So I put it in, and at a first impression (after some time) it sounds very good. Like the expressive flowing mids, etc.

It certainly has a different and probably more lifelike tonality than the OPA827.

Compared to the LT1122, which is FET like the OPA827 and LT1057, I wouldn't say the LT1057 sounds better... But it sounds similar. I think that the LT1122 (pins 7-8 of each LT1122 connected together, see datasheet) has more detail resolution, thanks to its greater speed. On the other hand, the LT1057 has a very lovely tonality.

Sep 12, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #725 of 7,383
I've decided the nicest mids I've heard with an opamp goes to the OP27G I have here (I might have read that G wrong, but I don't think so). Anyway, I can't find info on the "G" anywhere, so I'm wondering if there is a dual opamp that has equally epic mids. The 627 is too warm and its trebble too rolled-off, by the way.

Sep 12, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #727 of 7,383
Hmm, nice, but the LT1028CS8 sounds better than the LT1057ACN8 for sure (as expected).

My choice for the definitive opamp seems to be among LT1028 and OPA1611 ... unless I rediscover the LT1677 once again, LOL
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #728 of 7,383
I built a couple dual 1611 modules yesterday and they are quite good so far based on testing. I also built a few new OPA211's and I have been testing those in a new circuit in the buffer position and getting great gains from this match.

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #730 of 7,383
I'm gonna sound like a real noob here but what the heck....... In my P3 and P3+ I have L/R sockets + Buffer sockets + Ground/VGround sockets. I only use the Buffers that came with or my Hi-C or Stacked that I adapted myself, are you saying I can use standard opamps for buffer positions?

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #731 of 7,383
It could be. Depends on how the buffer socket's connections are arranged.

To use a (single) opamp as a buffer you must configure it as a unity gain follower, by either linking its pins 2 and 6 together or bridging them with a resistor, say 1K ohm. Maybe this is already done by the P3's circuit (a proper buffer like the BUF634 would not use pin 2 of the socket so it would not do harm). Maybe not. You would have to try...

That said, I can't see why you'd want to use an opamp as a buffer, rather than a BUF634 or something (say LMH6321).

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #732 of 7,383
Quote:

Originally Posted by crying /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to use them as headphone drivers, the OPA1611/12 are much better than the OPA211/2211 since they have almost twice the output current.

I want browndogs!

No, this is a line out buffer.
Yes, you need adapters as most of the best audio aopmps that I have tried are single channel, SOIC or both. Not to mention TO-99 packages..

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #735 of 7,383
How do you guys find the AD845's? I kinda like them in the P3 with certain headphones. And thanks SpudHarris and ROBSCIX for the help! I'll be checking out my options and reporting back when I've gotten new opamps/buffers. Just wish I had someway to get my hands on the Hi-C 634's. But even normal BUF634's would be better than the bypassed buffers or stock buffers for the P3 right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back