The Opamp thread
Jul 28, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #6,781 of 7,383
If you have an amp that is designed with a different opamp for left and right (it is normally the case for 2x single channel opamps amps) not a problem to do that at all - people have done it in the past to do testing.

(It had to be said) Yea you definitely don’t wanna do it with single amps combined on an double adapter to make them dual amps per channel unless you wanna an unsafe pyrotechnic show. Haha.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #6,782 of 7,383
(It had to be said) Yea you definitely don’t wanna do it with single amps combined on an double adapter to make them dual amps per channel unless you wanna an unsafe pyrotechnic show. Haha.

Aslong as you don't connect their outputs directly together and instead each has a low value resistor on the output they shouldn't fight each other - though you'd be best off scoping to be sure.

Jul 28, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #6,783 of 7,383
Aslong as you don't connect their outputs directly together and instead each has a low value resistor on the output they shouldn't fight each other - though you'd be best off scoping to be sure.

Haha, it’s like I always say If you didn’t burn the house down than anything is possible!

Honestly one of the ONLY things I’d like to fully learn is how to evaluate resistors on DAC but it’s frickin’ algebra and sh** and get the most “controlled” sound signal sans compressing the sound signal. I feel the same way about film caps. The op amps are pretty solid that even a idiot like me can solder that crap on with no problem (Most of the time). Haha

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #6,784 of 7,383
Nevermind I returned both the Muses01 and Muses03. The packaging doesn't instill any confidence that they're genuine JRC products. Besides I also got a Sparkos SS3602 op amp and it's been working beautifully in my cheapo chi fi amp!

IMG_1698.jpegIMG_1724.jpeg
IMG_1720.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #6,785 of 7,383
Nevermind I returned both the Muses01 and Muses03. The packaging doesn't instill any confidence that they're genuine JRC products. Besides I also got a Sparkos SS3602 op amp and it's been working beautifully in my cheapo chi fi amp!

Please tell me more about your cheapo chi fi amp.

Aug 4, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #6,786 of 7,383
Please tell me more about your cheapo chi fi amp.
It's a pretty basic 6j1 tube amp available on Amazon and Aliexpress for about $40. It originally came with NE5532 and tiny caps which sounded congested and incoherent. Then I changed to OPA2604 and also changed out some of the caps to improve the bass and soundstage (put them under the board as there is no room on top). The new SS3602 opens up the amp some more. I'm new to diy and op amp so it's a cheap way to practice and an excuse to make use of my Mullard tubes :)

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #6,787 of 7,383
Had my amp making friend who is now working on a balanced version of his KAD amp, had him throw these OPA1656's on some adapters for me. Very clean sound, can't find any faults with it, bass extends very deep and balanced throughout the rest of the FR. Might be the cleanest I have heard.

Have two Chinese opamps on there way for a big review I am going to put together.
Pictured with V5I-D's, OPA2134 and a HDAM Full Discrete which is two singles on an adapter.

nxqvaGH.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #6,788 of 7,383
Had my amp making friend who is now working on a balanced version of his KAD amp, can't wait throw these OPA1656's on some adapters for me. Very clean sound, can't find any faults with it, bass extends very deep and balanced throughout the rest of the FR. Might be the cleanest I have heard.

Damn! Jealous

Aug 9, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #6,790 of 7,383
The 1656's are pretty nice but the v5i-d's make a compelling case as to why they should remain in the amplifier. Burson are spacious with nice imaging. Not sibilant but good detail, It has a smooth edge so to speak overall a very enjoyable opamp and it looks pimpin.

1656 is equally as good being the latest and greatest and look at them on there little matching black boards made for me courtesy of KAD designs. It's a bit sharper, Burson might sound slightly more weighty but both are worth having.

Whilst I am on it the HPA-3B is well above it's HPA-2C counterpart for quality, I feel the cirrus DAC is not the best and if they had and ESS or AKM in there it would help.

nVz3gGh.jpg uWCKKOY.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #6,791 of 7,383
Finally had a chance to roll some Opa1612 and gotta say it's one of the best op amps ever made imo. I get the criticism of it sound ”artificial” but that darn thing so fast with detail; it’s captures EVERYTHING and is best all around op amp I’ve tried!

The Opa1692 is amazing for low voltage application and nice sounding too.

I’m rocking 2x Opa2209 in the input stage and been rolling with LT1358, AD8620, Opa1612 and Opa1692!

I have the AD8022 but I need an adapter for the sop (the smaller package soic) and haven’t soldered the AD8066 to try it out with the Opa2209.

The Opa2209 so sweet it’s got a limitation but so nice with acoustic music and vocals (wow!) so natural! Pairing it with AD8620 (also excellent) brings out the both signature AD sound (the bass is punchy, right and doesn’t influence the tremble in with murkiness; there’s clarity) with the Burr-Brown Laid back sound with warmth and just tremble bliss.

The AD8620 is a bit sharp in the tremble which causes it have some harshness that many have rightfully criticized it for but I’m sure can be “fixed” with the right adjustments on the DAC (resistance, caps, etc). It does have more detail that the opa2209 is lacking. The two combined make for intimate soundstage reserve for some warm jazz or acoustic music. When paired they do however lack a wider soundstage and depth compared to other pairings I’ve tried with this experimentation.

The Opa2209 + Opa1692 is just nice. The op amps compliment themselves so perfectly. But so far the best combo with the Opa2209 is with Opa1612. They work really well together. Of course the burr brown laid back sound lacks the AD “just right” bass punchiness and I’m hoping to fine AD equivalent to Opa1612. I research and what I got is the ADA4004-2 so I’m hoping that’s one AD “response” to the Opa1612 to get both sound aesthetics playing in my ears with perfect equilibrium!

In my experience with Op Amp Rolling it’s all about finding the right op for the right situation and application. Then it’s a question of the perfect differential between different op amps in the right stages! I have found that often the op amps with contracting sound qualities are the perfect pairing if they are balance that compliment each other rather than trying to compete for dominance! There’s also no such thing as the perfect combo or holy grail of op amp(s) for every music style but ones that work better than others.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #6,793 of 7,383
ADA4004 is a rather "polite" opamp, If I recall correctly. I didn't really like it much.

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #6,794 of 7,383
At the end of what are you using all this? A DAC? Which one?

DAC really doesn’t matter; it’s one I like so it’s a moot point to reference it. All I can say as an importable fact is that it’s a portable one so low volts/current op amps work best in this application to save on battery life especially if theres a semiconductor cpu(s) involved!

Assuming... Everyone’s overall goal on this thread is to reference op amps and their characters, stages, etc, I was talking about combos of Op amps that play nice together.

Would like to try and experiment with some Opa1612 in combination with AD8397 as I believe based on what I’ve read their contrasting traits would be an interesting experience sonically!

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #6,795 of 7,383
DAC really doesn’t matter; it’s one I like so it’s a moot point to reference it. All I can say as an importable fact is that it’s a portable one so low volts/current op amps work best in this application to save on battery life especially if theres a semiconductor cpu(s) involved!

Assuming... Everyone’s overall goal on this thread is to reference op amps and their characters, stages, etc, I was talking about combos of Op amps that play nice together.

Would like to try and experiment with some Opa1612 in combination with AD8397 as I believe based on what I’ve read their contrasting traits would be an interesting experience sonically!

When you say a DAC doesn't matter what do you mean? I think every CS4398 DAC I have tried sounds like poop including the mecca of ASR the D30, in fact the cheaper D10 is a better and cleaner sounding unit. I find the ESS very clear and transparent the AKM's a little bit more silky in it's presentation. (disclaimer: to my ears)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back