The Opamp thread
Feb 20, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #5,567 of 7,383
  Bought me something interesting.  Sounds pretty good.  A bit smaller than the Burson V4.  It's uses dual opamps, and one being the buffer to the other.

I recently received one (the piece on the right) from the same seller in Taiwan.
I've only tried it in one device so far, an Audioengine D1. That was originally equipped with a single surface mounted 5532 between the DAC chip and headphones, but I have socketed it and tried a few other opamps in there. The D1 uses a sensible implementation for the 5532 with a gain of 4, 10 uF tants decoupling the rails right near the chip, a small value cap in the feedback loop (on the order of some pF; don't remember), and about 10 ohms between each output and the headphone jack to keep things nice and stable.
Popping in the dual/buffer adapter shown above with a pair of 5532 as shipped, there is obvious background hiss at all volumes, some distortion at low volume and it gets worse as it's cranked up. Swapping in a newer/faster opamp in either position makes things even worse.
The suboptimal performance could be due to the second opamp being configured as an open loop buffer. I knew this from the schematic before I bought it, and thought twice because of that, but nevertheless succumbed to curiosity because it was cheap. It would probably work better if the buffer opamp was inside the feedback loop of the first. I might be able to hack up the adapter to do that, but I also might not care enough to bother. Meh.
I did not measure voltage at the chips while I tested, and perhaps I should. A stock D1 runs a single 5532 right at +/-5V give or take a couple hundredths of a volt in either direction (the lower limit of its spec) and given that it's a puny little DAC/amp I suppose the extra 10 mA drawn by a second chip could be taxing the power supply. Then again, I've tested other opamps in the D1 that draw about the same current as two 5532s and never gotten hiss & distortion like this.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #5,569 of 7,383
Hi guys,

Last Saturday I revived my low-cost Chinese AK4495SEQ I2S Dac.
This is one of the most affordable ($28) and sublime sounding Dac's (BANG for buck) I ever owned.

This is the original:

https://world.taobao.com/item/44350730621.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.XyranW#detail

I did modify this one with bigger and better caps, especially those for VREF are very important.
Since I tried it last time with an RPI and Ian's FIFO II kit, including a Burson SS Audio V5i-D,  I wondered how it would sound connected to an RPI with Allo.com Kali reclocker and a Burson SS Audio V5-D discrete opamp.

This combo really sings 
bigsmile_face.gif
 Since Kali reclocker is new and has to burn-in for a week, I can't comment on how it will sound when completely burned-in,
but for now I have to say that this is a VERY musical sounding combination. The sound character is exactly the same as his big brother, the "MonsterDAC",
of course this is because of the use of the same dac-chip, and the use of the outstanding Burson SS Audio V5-D discrete opamp. Not sure what the influence
of the Kali reclocker is, in comparison with the Ian's FIFO II kit in the MonsterDac, but for now it seems this little combo comes frightning close to the performance
of the MonsterDAC, which is a HUGE result!

Just for fun I tried to replace the V5 with the V5i and started listening.

As good as the Hybrid V5i sounds, (I still love it as an opamp, it surely is one of the best sounding opamps availbale on this globe), the V5 takes EVERYTHING
a step further. I have to say, it just SINGS 
bigsmile_face.gif

Very glad I revived this combo, and, for sure, it STAYS 
wink_face.gif

Last words:

Again, many many thanks to Charles at @SS-Audio for providing me with two of those exquisite Burson Audio V5-D's for which I am VERY thankful!
Without them this review wouldn't be possible!

Keep up the good DIY work 
wink_face.gif

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Alex

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #5,571 of 7,383
Any idea http://www.profusionplc.com sells legit muses01 or 02 or not?

I doubt a UK company with online presence/address is going to sell dicky OPAMPs...that could be the death-nail to their reputation.... expect that from China single operator/no address sellers and some ebay sellers....

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #5,574 of 7,383
I have received muses01s from profusionplc.

Anyone else think muses01 sounds better than burson v5s?

Switching from stock STX II opamps to bursons was wonderful but compared to muses01, bursons seem to exaggerate the bass. muses01 has a more neutral, clean and more detailed sound. It is more fun listening. At least for me.

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #5,575 of 7,383
I've "heard" people telling about V5s being on the bassy side, though for me V5s was fine in Voltage Amp. stage. Anyway, MUSES01 is very good in I/V stage and usually those MUSES are wire with gain + a bit of...warmness specific to tubes I'd say,

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #5,576 of 7,383
Does anyone know any Opamps that would work with the HT Omega Claro Halo? I was looking at the Burson v5s but quite honestly I need something cheaper. Obviously I still am looking for quality. Any point in the right direction would be very helpful!

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #5,577 of 7,383
  Does anyone know any Opamps that would work with the HT Omega Claro Halo? I was looking at the Burson v5s but quite honestly I need something cheaper. Obviously I still am looking for quality. Any point in the right direction would be very helpful!

The Burson V5i are about the least expensive, custom opamps available. About half the price of the V5 and much smaller (should be able to swap all 4 Halo opamps). I use them in my Asus Essence ST card and (afaik) don't see any reason why they won't work with the Halo.

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #5,578 of 7,383
Do you notice a justifiable difference in sound quality? Also does it increase the volume of the amp? Im a noob at this stuff.

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #5,579 of 7,383
Hey guys. I want to share my experiences with my Walnut V2 and opamps. I just tried OP27, OP97, LF412 (both linear and normal), and the carried opamp(don't remember the serial lol).

Okay, first the OP27. Nice opamp to boost the mid and low sections. A little bit warmer than the default opamp. Improved both soundstage and detail(not much, but better).
OP97, it's good. There are some improvements on the high, but not making them brighter. The high become more natural than the usual. And it improves the soundstage and separation(not much, but better than the default opamp), but not the detail.
Then the LF412s. I tried the linear version and the normal version. The linear has brighter sound signature than thw normal version. But the detail, separation, and soundstaging is brilliant. I really like the normal version because it gives less coloration to the sound signature.

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #5,580 of 7,383
  Do you notice a justifiable difference in sound quality? Also does it increase the volume of the amp? Im a noob at this stuff.

The sound was noticeably improved with the V5i and I experienced about a 1dB increase in output. You can read more in my review here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/burson-audio-supreme-sound-opamp-v5i/reviews/17382

Users who are viewing this thread

Back