The Opamp thread
Feb 11, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #5,146 of 7,383
  I've never heard the JRC4556 and I keep getting all these different op amp recommendations. Is there any guide or impressions of a lot of opamps?

Oldies but goldies :
--- the great majkel's show : http://www.head-fi.org/t/243642/best-sounding-cheep-op-amp-for-cmoys-opa2227-opa2228-ad8066-other#post_3032335 (and some other posts from the same here on HF) ;
--- "Chiarra Grand Op Amp Test" on Rock Grotto : http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/opamp.htm ;
--- "Notes on Audio Op-Amps" on TagentSoft (regularly revised) : http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html.

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #5,147 of 7,383
  I've never heard the JRC4556 and I keep getting all these different op amp recommendations. Is there any guide or impressions of a lot of opamps?

I highly recommend that you go for ADA4610 instead of 4556 if you can.  4556 is nothing special in sound, you won't miss out on anything.

This thread is littered with impressions.  You may find a few in threads concerning iBasso equipment, but this thread is the main repository here on Head-fi, if I'm not mistaken.

The 4556 can supply a relatively high output current and for that reason people tend to like it for driving headphone outputs. I have some on hand to try comparing in a couple of amps I have that currently use the 4580 for that purpose, but haven't gotten around to it yet. For DAC buffers driving a line out where you don't need that much current, you might go with something else. It depends what you're using it for.

Bass and soundstaging are noticeably better with more output current, in my opinion.  Synthesizers and similar equipment typically use 4580 or 4556 for whatever their (likely) non-audiophool reasons, so more output current is preferred anyway.

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #5,148 of 7,383
I think it is important to look at the entire audio chain. In your DAC you want to have the best (whatever your preference, ie clarity, bass, ss) opamps in the I/V stage. This is amplifying the signal from the DAC from small voltages to larger voltages (line out) and the opamp that preserves and digs out the most information is usually the best. The buffer usually is just a current follower isolating the IV from the load.
If you are going from the DAC to a headphone amp, the buffer in the DAC does not need to have a high current rating since it is going into anywhere from 5k to 50k input impedance. Only the voltage swings are passing through and not really any appreciable current.
So the buffer position in the DAC should be based on what is as transparent or pleasing as possible and not on current.
If you have a headphone amp that is more than a cmoy then you need to choose the I/V section again on what provides most clarity (or whatever your standard is) and then the buffer choice becomes important.
I have experimented quite a bit here with opamps in the buffer slot and what becomes apparent is that opamps are not great buffers.

If you look at the average tech sheet for opamps they usually say that they can drive 600 ohm loads with this and that distortion rate.
The lower the impedance is the harder the opamp has to work. It is much like putting tractor tires on a BMW. It can drive but not with the usual alacrity.
Also, the opamp circuit is more complex than it needs to be for a buffer and that is why there are so many sonic differences between them. They amplify, they invert, they correct.. and then we want them to drive a headphone too.
The best buffer I have found for the buffer position in my headphone amp is an actual buffer. LME49600 does not do anything except add 250mw of current to that beautifully pristine and detailed signal coming from the Burson V5.

The buffer does not have a high output impedance and does not need an extra output resistor to protect it from becoming unstable either. 

Regular opamps seriously flavor the headphone buffer position. One of my favorite opamps is the current feedback LME49713HA which sounds so detailed and sweet in I/V (definitely not a drop in replacement. needs its own circuit) but when used as a buffer it just strips all the magic that the Burson V5 are offering and places its own flavor on everything. The LME49600 in comparison just passes the sound along without any real flavoring of the sound.

Just my theory based on experience.

Feb 12, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #5,149 of 7,383
  I think it is important to look at the entire audio chain. In your DAC you want to have the best (whatever your preference, ie clarity, bass, ss) opamps in the I/V stage. This is amplifying the signal from the DAC from small voltages to larger voltages (line out) and the opamp that preserves and digs out the most information is usually the best. The buffer usually is just a current follower isolating the IV from the load.
If you are going from the DAC to a headphone amp, the buffer in the DAC does not need to have a high current rating since it is going into anywhere from 5k to 50k input impedance. Only the voltage swings are passing through and not really any appreciable current.
So the buffer position in the DAC should be based on what is as transparent or pleasing as possible and not on current.
If you have a headphone amp that is more than a cmoy then you need to choose the I/V section again on what provides most clarity (or whatever your standard is) and then the buffer choice becomes important.
I have experimented quite a bit here with opamps in the buffer slot and what becomes apparent is that opamps are not great buffers.

If you look at the average tech sheet for opamps they usually say that they can drive 600 ohm loads with this and that distortion rate.
The lower the impedance is the harder the opamp has to work. It is much like putting tractor tires on a BMW. It can drive but not with the usual alacrity.
Also, the opamp circuit is more complex than it needs to be for a buffer and that is why there are so many sonic differences between them. They amplify, they invert, they correct.. and then we want them to drive a headphone too.
The best buffer I have found for the buffer position in my headphone amp is an actual buffer. LME49600 does not do anything except add 250mw of current to that beautifully pristine and detailed signal coming from the Burson V5.

The buffer does not have a high output impedance and does not need an extra output resistor to protect it from becoming unstable either. 

Regular opamps seriously flavor the headphone buffer position. One of my favorite opamps is the current feedback LME49713HA which sounds so detailed and sweet in I/V (definitely not a drop in replacement. needs its own circuit) but when used as a buffer it just strips all the magic that the Burson V5 are offering and places its own flavor on everything. The LME49600 in comparison just passes the sound along without any real flavoring of the sound.

Just my theory based on experience.

Just some seriously valuable commentary!  Thank you!  

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #5,150 of 7,383

I highly recommend that you go for ADA4610 instead of 4556 if you can.  4556 is nothing special in sound, you won't miss out on anything.

This thread is littered with impressions.  You may find a few in threads concerning iBasso equipment, but this thread is the main repository here on Head-fi, if I'm not mistaken.

Bass and soundstaging are noticeably better with more output current, in my opinion.  Synthesizers and similar equipment typically use 4580 or 4556 for whatever their (likely) non-audiophool reasons, so more output current is preferred anyway.

Do you mean ADA4610 is better then 4556 as a current buffer or voltage gain stage?

Feb 13, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #5,151 of 7,383
Just installed 2x LME49990 as low filters, 4x LME49990 as IV's and 2x LT1057ACN8 as buffers on my Essence One and it all works. But trying to run 2x dual LT1057ACN8 using dual adapter is not working, any reason why that is not working?

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #5,152 of 7,383
humm, 4627-1B sounds pretty dang amazing as 9018K2M differential amp
popcorn.gif

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #5,153 of 7,383
  Just installed 2x LME49990 as low filters, 4x LME49990 as IV's and 2x LT1057ACN8 as buffers on my Essence One and it all works. But trying to run 2x dual LT1057ACN8 using dual adapter is not working, any reason why that is not working?

To my understanding, "dual adapters" are designed for mounting two singles where a dual is meant to go, effectively reducing the 16 pins of two single op-amps down to 8 pins for use in a DIP8 socket meant for a dual.  

You say you're using "2x dual LT1057ACN8."  

The LT1057 is indeed a dual,not a single, so I would think it does't need a "dual adapter."   Try plugging the LT1057s directly into the DIP8 sockets - without the adapters.

Feb 20, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #5,154 of 7,383
I am in Que for the multibit upgrade for my bifrost and upgrading from the bifrost uber. I know the multibit loses the discrete analog stage and in place schiit used an op amp.

Could I use the burson supreme sound v5 to replace the op amp in the multibit? I am asking just to be safe since I don't have much diy knowledge or done any op-amp rolling.

Edit I just realized with the op amp I wouldn't be able to put the case back unless it goes sideways with an adapter.

Feb 20, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #5,155 of 7,383
I am in Que for the multibit upgrade for my bifrost and upgrading from the bifrost uber. I know the multibit loses the discrete analog stage and in place schiit used an op amp.

Could I use the burson supreme sound v5 to replace the op amp in the multibit? I am asking just to be safe since I don't have much diy knowledge or done any op-amp rolling.

Edit I just realized with the op amp I wouldn't be able to put the case back unless it goes sideways with an adapter.

And there are no sockets.  Hooking up a Burson opamp is still possible, not sure I would recommend that to a beginner.  Plus, you should figure out first just what those soic8 opamps are doing exactly in the circuit or you could be wasting your time trying to "upgrade" them.  U18 looks like it might be a DC servo, you won't gain any change in sound there if you replace it with anything at all as it is "out of the audio path", in a way.

Feb 21, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #5,156 of 7,383
Which experience have you between
LT1057ACN8 vs. AD823 vs. LME49720HA
My HA Solo are delivered with AD823, now I use LME49720HA.
Some posted here about LT1057ACN8 (an JFET)
LME49720HA sounds a bit to high (bright) for me now.

Needs LT1057ACN8 a little little cap 10 ... 33 pF in NFB too?

My experience about BJT vs. FET/JFET input stage - FET/JFET sound a bit more pleasant for my ears.
The same I adept in my WNA MKII HA - original LM6171, now OPA627 - it was a long way zu OPA627  
wink_face.gif

http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/thread/8052
http://www.head-fi.org/t/99596/new-wna-mkll-head-amp-kit
http://www.head-fi.org/t/99596/new-wna-mkll-head-amp-kit/750

I had used two LT1056 (the similar single version of LT1057) with very good experience in my WNA MKII too.

PS: LT1057ACN8 is on the way to me.

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #5,157 of 7,383
Anyone know where can I buy the MUSES02 and the OPA627BM/SM for the DAP Venturecraft Valoq? And if is just buy and install or need something more (adapter or specific specs)?

Thanks!

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #5,158 of 7,383
Anyone know where can I buy the MUSES02 and the OPA627BM/SM for the DAP Venturecraft Valoq? And if is just buy and install or need something more (adapter or specific specs)?

Thanks!

Mouser should have them. MUSES02 is a dual opamp while opa 627 is a mono one. You need to know what your DAP uses (either a dual or mono) before swap the opamp in.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #5,159 of 7,383
I don't know if this can help, but this is the Opamp for Valoq:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/788756/lightbox/post/12341039/id/1567568/user/390018

And here some pics from the adapter:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/788756/lightbox/position/68

Thank you.

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #5,160 of 7,383
Hullo fellow head-fiers. This is my first time in the thread and I would like to ask if anyone has directly compare the MUSES 8820 vs the MUSES 8920? I'm currently using the Little Dot I+, which is a hybrid and also makes it a hassle to switch opamp. Had my first try with both of them today and while they're both very different from the dirt-cheap OPA2107 that I have (sharper treble, less soupy bass), I have not been able to tell the difference between the 2 (I have very short sonic memory). If anyone has both of them, can you please compare between the 8820 and the 8920 for me?

Thanks a bunch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back