The Opamp thread
May 18, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #6,586 of 7,383
OPA827 is so damn nice.
Sounds more like an ADI chip than your typical BB, in ma 'pinion.

May 22, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #6,589 of 7,383
1662 is a little different, has more of that "bipolar sound" a la ADA4898 or OPA1602. I suppose that it can sound cleaner depending on the circuit you put it into. It has a nice warm sound similar to 1652. In my tests so far, I tend to like it a bit more than 1652.

May 28, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #6,590 of 7,383
I've purchased the AD8620BR a couple of weeks back but haven't used it yet! If I do like it, I’d definitely like to get more of them for different DACs but the cost of the higher end AD8620BR is double that of its lower end ”AR” version.

I was curious if anyone has experienced the difference(s) sonically between the AD8620AR and the AD8620BR. The latter ”BR” is double the cost and I know it's baked in the datasheet the difference but am only concerned with the sound difference (if any?!)

Thanks

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #6,591 of 7,383
Where are you going to use those AD8620?

Will it replace an SMD part that you will have to unsolder? Or will it need a DIP adapter?

My advice on replacing SMD opamps, particularly the smallest ones, is: don't do it. At least you are very experienced and have the right tools for doing so.

The problem are not the chips you take out, but the very thin pcb tracks which can be damaged very easily, either with soldering out as when soldering in.

Soldering out is the most risky part, I think, as you have to probably use unsoldering tape.

May 28, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #6,592 of 7,383
My proposal for dealing with such mods is to design a small external pcb, perhaps using one that might exist (which I do not know about), fixed close to the circuit and preferably using some input resistors.

Space should be available for power supply bypassing, and there should be pads to connect the power supply directly to this small board.

In the past they called such boards "piggyback", but I do not know why.

Even if it's not usually recommended to use sockets, I would put sockets on such boards to be able to experiment with different opamps. For that you would also need existing DIP to SMD adapters.

May 28, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #6,593 of 7,383
Perhaps this I'm talking about has already been proposed or used on some of the 440 pages this thread already has, If it has please write the post number of such proposals and mods.

If the previous stage to the part we are going to swap is balanced, like on the Topping D-50 or most other DACs, then I would recommend to move that output out of the original box.

Being balanced you would preserve noise and isolation, and you might use that external output on other units you might have now or in the future.

You would also have space for a better power supply regulator.

The main idea behind this is always to preserve the original pcb.

Jun 1, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #6,594 of 7,383
I just cut the legs off with my Xacto blade and then desoldering the legs is a breeze with no risk to the PCB.

Anyway, I've generally found that the ADI B grade chips sound better than the A grade equivalents. Maybe they are better made somehow? Who knows?

Jun 1, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #6,595 of 7,383
My proposal for dealing with such mods is to design a small external pcb, perhaps using one that might exist (which I do not know about), fixed close to the circuit and preferably using some input resistors.

Space should be available for power supply bypassing, and there should be pads to connect the power supply directly to this small board.

In the past they called such boards "piggyback", but I do not know why.

Even if it's not usually recommended to use sockets, I would put sockets on such boards to be able to experiment with different opamps. For that you would also need existing DIP to SMD adapters.

I plan on soldering it to the dac not an adapter. It really a space problem. I really don’t wanna ticker with PCB boards with resistors since I don’t know how to fine tune the op amp yet. All I know as a rule of thumb all measurement must be equal.

One day if I get that far I’d like to develop my own daps and evaluation boards along with learn how to code them. There are two reasons for this: 1. A lack of them on the market that are designed for diyers due to a niche demand. 2. I would love to be able to program components to correspond symbiotically with firmware I designed and have to sound awesome.

But that’s a lot of time and effort in the man cave with fits and starts.

Progression for me isn’t a linear line. I had a lot of beginners’ luck and learn the hard way that there’s more it than I thought! It’s very humbling with a lot of alone time to say the lest.

The forums help with brainstorming but even so you have to see what knowledge is useful to your design and priorities.

Also, a lot of the Diyers have different music Taste so what they vibe on my not necessarily be your thing.

There’s are a lot of bassheads out there. I’ve found especially in the headphone realm of audio. I like bass but it isn’t a main feature (unless it’s necessary in genre and track) to my music listening. I like balance with clarity sans nauseating tremble or overpowering bass with great dynamic range (like crescendos, decrescendo, crossfades, nuance in quiet parts) with great music production value recordings.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #6,596 of 7,383
Woah! Didn`t expect this out of OPA2228 used as HO opamp with Aune T1!
Very organic, natural and open sounding! And seems to deliver quite good amount of details.
Soundstage seems VERY open and airy but not sounding distant/laid-back with Siemens E88CC tube.
Bass & percussion hits hard, tight and clean. Vocals/mids seem very natural. Guitars full and weighty.
Seems 45mA per channel output does its work better than stock 38mA.
I`m suspecting this will be best for my ears out of NE5532P, AD8599ARZ, OPA1612AID but will let it "burn-in" for week and do more proper comparing along with ADA4084-2ARZ which I will receive in few days.
Initial impressions - OPA2228PA put a BIG smile on my face and head bangin! ;P
Finally had time to solder ADA4084-2ARZ in DIP-8 to SOIC-8 converter PCB and installed it into my modded Aune T1.
Initial impressions after 10min listening - detailed, open and airy sounding (at times "holographic" but at same time with smidge of fowardness in vocals & instruments), well balanced sound, extended but not harsh/sibilant highs (cymbals and crashes sound very detailed and clear).
This is very good opamp and it might top even OPA1612A in this setup/gear but I`m suspecting OPA2228PA still sounds more organic and natural with great details all over spectrum, very open soundstage and tight textured bass.

Will report back after some "burn-in".

Current subjective preference in order (might change):

1) OPA2228PA
2) ADA4084-2ARZ / OPA1612AID (need to compare more)
3) NE5532A / NE5532PA
4) AD8599 (too bright/sibilant in this gear, otherwise detail-monster)

Edit: Did swap as fast as I could and OPA2228PA is just another level compared to ADA4084-2ARZ (at least in this hardware setup).
What I noticed was also slight upper-mid-bass/lower-mids "boom" with 4084 but know that I`m sensitive to any kind of mid-bass boost and prefer "dead-flat" mid-bass with rather slightly raised sub-bass and low extension (not bass-head). I mainly listen prog-rock-metal-jazz.
OPA2228 bass also hits harder and tighter and soundstage is "holographic" and very open/airy with more natural decays/reverbs.

Anyway, 4084 back to "oven" and lets hear if it changes better...

Edit: Hmmm... seems 4084-2 is humming very slightly when no music playing. Idk if it is occillating or I damaged it during soldering or just mismatch with this hardware but I better take it out for now and stay with OPA2228PA.

Edit2: LOL, I totally forgot about EMI/electronics nearby! Since my Aune T1 had open shell and my PC (sound source) was currently laying nearby "naked" without shell too, I was holding T1 too close to it and that`s where from that slight "hum" came. So, 4084-2 back to "burn-in".

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #6,597 of 7,383
Hey all!

I need your suggestions. I'm modding my XD-05 which sounds too 'warm' or 'thick' for my preference.

Im trying to make it sound more spacious, detailed and transparent. Swapping out the stock OPA1612 SMD.

What are your suggestions for an op-amp with spacious large soundstage, with good transparency & details? must be available in SOIC8, dual channel.

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #6,598 of 7,383
Hey all!

I need your suggestions. I'm modding my XD-05 which sounds too 'warm' or 'thick' for my preference.

Im trying to make it sound more spacious, detailed and transparent. Swapping out the stock OPA1612 SMD.

What are your suggestions for an op-amp with spacious large soundstage, with good transparency & details? must be available in SOIC8, dual channel.
AD8066 (wider soundstage)
AD8599 (more forward highs)
AD8620 (best transparency and details, most balanced of all)

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #6,599 of 7,383
AD8066 (wider soundstage)
AD8599 (more forward highs)
AD8620 (best transparency and details, most balanced of all)
Pity I can try only AD8599 in my gear, would like to try those other two, especially AD8620 but it supports only max-dual power supply of 13V. Wonder if +-15V would kill it?

Jun 5, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #6,600 of 7,383
Pity I can try only AD8599 in my gear, would like to try those other two, especially AD8620 but it supports only max-dual power supply of 13V. Wonder if +-15V would kill it?
It would.
Can you not bring rails down though?
Most DAPs use DC-to-DC boost converters that allow to set output voltage, so it’s pretty much 1 resistor replacement affair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back