The Opamp thread
Sep 4, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #6,166 of 7,383
Numon, opposite nature opamp is used to get a warm headphone to get some nicer detail. Warm + warm turns out to messy.

Muse01 are crap **** opamp. Tube like distortion but a little skewed on 2nd and 6th harmonic.

Get a opa1688 agdr cmoy(neutral) or xrkaudio amp(warm).

And don't expect warm opamp to sound warm as opamp were never made for that purpose. Go buy some tubes.

Opamp master race never believes in warmth. Even muse is also cold with some track. It is just the distortion sounds warmer and lemme remind you, warm + warm is mesh in mids. Experience
"You said muses 01 is crap", Try running it through a Dac on your computer, the details are the best i have ever heard for being able to change sound that quick in and out
Numon, opposite nature opamp is used to get a warm headphone to get some nicer detail. Warm + warm turns out to messy.

Muse01 are crap **** opamp. Tube like distortion but a little skewed on 2nd and 6th harmonic.

Get a opa1688 agdr cmoy(neutral) or xrkaudio amp(warm).

And don't expect warm opamp to sound warm as opamp were never made for that purpose. Go buy some tubes.

Opamp master race never believes in warmth. Even muse is also cold with some track. It is just the distortion sounds warmer and lemme remind you, warm + warm is mesh in mids. Experience
"You said Muses01 are crap", have you tried running it through a dac on a computer? For games and movies it's the best i've ever heard detailed wise (almost realistic)

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #6,167 of 7,383
"You said muses 01 is crap", Try running it through a Dac on your computer, the details are the best i have ever heard for being able to change sound that quick in and out

"You said Muses01 are crap", have you tried running it through a dac on a computer? For games and movies it's the best i've ever heard detailed wise (almost realistic)
It is crap for IV conversion for me.

If set up in output stage, it is really good.

All muses do good on output, but I think its expensive price is not justifiable in comparison to Burson or sparkos labs. Even the KISS(keep it simple, stupid) series of TI(opa 1622 and 1688) defeats muses, if you have a application specific design.

Muses needs a circuit designed for itself to really shine the best(benchmark DAC1 mod)....which is hard and pretty cost consuming(with time)...

So muses is overall crap for value its offering..

But muses 01 is way better than 02 and other series

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #6,169 of 7,383
That's odd, I wonder if you had a fake or an original. Most headfiers found the sound with MUSES01 used in I/V as being bigger, more detailed and better than NE5532, LME49720 and MUSES8920.

In what DAC have you used it, please?

Thanks!
Sorry....that was a buffer all the time...I checked it....and swapped it..

It is sort of unnaturally large stage with way smoother treble(I need detailing like burson). It does good definition on bass side

Muses8920 is smaller brother,so I can expect that, but I find LME49990, opa1622 and burson v6 way better than muses01

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #6,171 of 7,383
Oh, so MUSES01 was basically installed as output buffer? I got it then...kinda expensive opamp for an output buffer for line-level I'd say. It makes more sense to install it in the place where manufacturer designed it for: I/V or optionally in active LowPass Filter.

DAC3HGC is able to raise a new bar in audiophile measurements with cheap and regular SO8/SOIC opamps like LME49860, so I assume you might have no needs to roll any opamps inside, right? :) At least given it's extremely low 2nd and 3rd order harmonics (<-100dB) and very low jitter too, I would consider any type off modding to this DAC as being...sort of a bad joke or nonsense (unless someone provides a valid proof that I'm wrong). :)

BTW, any thread or pics on what you've done to DAC1, please?

Sep 4, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #6,172 of 7,383
Oh, so MUSES01 was basically installed as output buffer? I got it then...kinda expensive opamp for an output buffer for line-level I'd say. It makes more sense to install it in the place where manufacturer designed it for: I/V or optionally in active LowPass Filter.

DAC3HGC is able to raise a new bar in audiophile measurements with cheap and regular SO8/SOIC opamps like LME49860, so I assume you might have no needs to roll any opamps inside, right? :) At least given it's extremely low 2nd and 3rd order harmonics (<-100dB) and very low jitter too, I would consider any type off modding to this DAC as being...sort of a bad joke or nonsense (unless someone provides a valid proof that I'm wrong). :)

BTW, any thread or pics on what you've done to DAC1, please?
I just swapped opamps...that was on diyaudio and was a preproduction series DAC1...(it had adapters instead of soldering)

I can't remember exactly...I have to find pic on my computer for that

I haven't touched DAC3 and dont want to even try In my dreams bro

That was DAC1 I modified

Muses and burson only went into dac1

Other opamp were cmoy projects and O2 swaps

I am a headphone guy, I dont really have speaker ampsto try with

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #6,173 of 7,383
After taking a look to http://www.pt80.net/thread-451874-1-1.html and used Google translate I see that OPA2134 is used for DAC output, hence it could get replaced by LME49720 or MUSES8920, and NE5532 could get replaced by LME49720 or similar SO8/SOIC8 opamps.

If you do have enough space between the PCB and the outer case, then you should be able to solder the V5i directly on PCB to replace existing NE5532, but lot of care is needed and perhaps some 5mm long wires.

Given the complexity of this task I would honestly not recommend you to install V5i in Aune T1, I would vote instead with LME49720, AD8599 or MUSES8820/8920 with confidence.

The thing is - V5i-D was sent for me for reviewing and was told it is just directly swappable (not about the socket) with NE5532A.
I already soldered V5i instead NE5322A chip an double checked intallation pins. Unit powers up but sound out of HP OUT is only in one channel and when I turn vol button it changes side to other side, both sides sound very weak and distorted/distinct. I was told it is probably because of not enough power for chip.
I already ordered new NE5532A chip and was wondering if I could do something to power up V5i-D properly?
I don`t know if I bother to try it instead OPA2134, as it might not power up properly also.

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #6,176 of 7,383
Sep 5, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #6,178 of 7,383
Not sure if it's related to power...hard to say. Most likely V5i is not compatible here, perhaps you might want to review V5i in a different equipment.
Well, I asked before they sent it to me to be sure if it will be easy swap and they told me it should be directly replaceable with NE5532A & OPA 2134 with no additional hassle.
Its related to power
18v swing needed in most cases as told by burson customer support(but I have seen some people running on single battery)
I dont know which device @CoiL is using....so I am not clear what the prob is
Aune T1 power brick is +-15V voltage swing but not sure how much is the output by HP amplifier board to HP opamp chip. I will measure it if I have chance soon (busy).
Burson support also wanted me to measure V5i-D pins to be sure it is getting enough power.
Well, I think I will install swappable socket first and then it will be easier to test different opamps anyway.
But wish to give V5i-D another chance as it is much appreciated chip here and HP amp is "weakest" thing about Aune T1 (though, I have already changed capacitors to silmicII which made very noticeable change to better SQ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back