The old, lowly, cheap, surprising MX400
Jul 16, 2010 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dynasonic

Head-Fier
The other week Woot had a deal on 2 sets of MX400 headphones for 12 bucks shipped. I got them on Tuesday of this week. I wasn't expecting much when I fired them up but I was surprised! They didn't sound mediocre like I had expected. They sounded like absolute garbage. I immediately regretted wasting 12 dollars and started thinking about how many doughnuts or how much bacon I could have bought with that money. (I'm fat and I like bacon and doughnuts so sue me)

I thought I would let them burn in (a theory I hadn't really subscribed too) for a couple days or so and give them another listen. After 2 solid days of play I was really shocked to hear how the sound evolved. Before they were tinny and even clipped quite a bit at medium volume. There was no bass to speak of. Now they are rather full sounding. The mids and highs are great, the bass is tight and the clipping is gone. I would expect to pay $50 dollars for this quality of portable sound.... instead I spent 12... AND I have a second pair to boot. Not only did this justify my purchase I am now a subscriber to the burn in theory (for headphones at least). I could still go for some bacon or a doughnut though.

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 5
Interesting. I bought to pair of MX400s from that deal as well and I thought they sounded rather decent right out of the box. They were certainly no giant killers but I wasn't disappointed in them either. I've been burning them in since I got them yesterday so I'll have to give them a listen a little later to see how they sound and if they've changed to any significant degree.

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 5
Well after some preliminary A/Bing, I can definitely say that the burned in earbuds sound noticably better (fuller, richer, more detailed) than the brand new pair but the difference isn't as astronomical as I thought it would be. I'm going to allow the MX400s burn in a little more and check back afterward.

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 5
They are running this same deal until midnight today....tempted but I will stick with my PK3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back