The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Aug 14, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #5,656 of 5,761
Interested in purchasing the TA, but worried a successor will be released within a year or two of when I do. I too would love to see it be a Roon endpoint. May just have to stick with a WM1A2 for a while.

Aug 15, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #5,658 of 5,761
Interested in purchasing the TA, but worried a successor will be released within a year or two of when I do. I too would love to see it be a Roon endpoint. May just have to stick with a WM1A2 for a while.
I just wanted to mention that while I'm very much excited about any future iterations of some of Sony's high-end line-up as well, a newer version does not necessarily mean that it's a better device.
For example, the Utopia 2022 is not necessarily a straight-up improvement on the OG Utopia, it's apparently just different - worse for some people even.

Similarly, with the Schiit Yggdrasil: I have one of the original devices, and some people still seem to prefer that one (which you can get much cheaper nowadays) to the newer versions.

I think the TAZ is likely a good investment regardless of whether the "TAZ2: This time it's personal" comes out, depending on how much you can get it for, even for the future.

Sep 3, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #5,660 of 5,761
If anyone is looking for an TA-ZH1ES, i am selling mine starting from september for 1300€

I have not plugged it in for 1 year straight so i think its of much better use in the hands of someone else.

So if anyone is interested in one, feel free to hit me up =)

Sep 7, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #5,662 of 5,761
I am looking to pick one of these up if anyone has one to sell? Needs to be in excellent condition and with UK plug. Please PM me if so, thanks.
They don’t have captive lead so you can buy from anywhere as long as it is a 220-240 V unit.

@Vamp898 in the post just above yours is selling one

Sep 7, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #5,663 of 5,761
I am looking to pick one of these up if anyone has one to sell? Needs to be in excellent condition and with UK plug. Please PM me if so, thanks.

I ended up with two and will be selling one. The 220-240v units are rare these days.

Sep 7, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #5,664 of 5,761
This one is in Australia which should be 220-240. I don't know if the exchange rate and shipping make it worth it, or if he would be willing to ship internationally, but could be an option. I purchased my one from this site and had a seller who was happy to ship it at my expense. There are some trader/member feedback and status details that show he should be legit.

Sep 7, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #5,666 of 5,761
Congrats! Taz does have a magical sound. It gives you a wonderful combo of musicality, details, fullness and soundstage competence, particularly re depth as an all in one. It sounds absolutely spectacular w my iems. I think it's okay to say as a rule, if you want to know the potential of what your iems can sound like listen to them on the Taz. You will never hear noise and they will be driven perfectly.

Every so often i listen to HD600 on Taz from the XLR and I'm just blown away at what it can do w the the soundstage on those HPs. Headroom for a HP like the 600 is the only concern but at decent volume fullness and musicality is just great. With NDH30 the headroom piece isn't an issue and the combo is just perfection. I will likely never part w Taz. Only way I could see selling it is if Sony does a Mk2, which I don't see that as likely.

Re gain, use what sounds best. I find that high gain tends to give a fuller sound at lower volumes.

I have the hd600 as well, but I've bought a iFi Zen Can to attach to the Tazzy so I can use that sweet X-Bass button. Sounds fantastic. I Might upgrade to the hd660s2, since I quite liked it when I went to e-earphone in Tokyo and demo'ed.

The IER-Z1R, I plug directly into the balanced port of the Tazzy. Pure bliss.

Oct 2, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #5,667 of 5,761
I would suggest using the 3V line level output for best results on the Chord device as well. I assume the Qutest has this. it is a special mode that can be activated on Hugo2. That is also something that is non-standard (higher than normal 2V) but yields great results.

I've been using the TA-ZH1ES with this configuration for many years, no issues. the only thing is the display 11.2 Mhz > 11.2 Mhz is a little weird. It "reads" like you're getting a DSD signal from the Hugo over the RCAs. but that's clearly not what's happening. Anyway, I guess they can't display Analog > 11.2 Mhz out of a quirk of the display.

I've read your posts here with interest as I am planning to use the TA-ZH1ES with either the H2 or the TT2. My main reason for doing this is because I am finding that I cannot listen (most music) without crossfeed. Maybe the Chord products have gotten me too used to it, but that's how it is. My ears slightly hurt hearing the complete separation without crossfeed.

I have two questions:

1) Do you experience a sound delay when watching videos/movies using the H2 to TA-ZH1ES? I am now running the TA-ZH1ES direct via USB and the delay is either zero or very, very small. When I switch to the TT2 (receiving via optical) feeding the TA-ZH1ES, the delay becomes ridiculous. Can it be just the optical? Or is it always the case when using Chord units to feed the TA-ZH1ES?

2) Are there any other ways to deal with the absence of crossfeed on the TA-ZH1ES?

Many thanks.

Oct 12, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #5,669 of 5,761
Hello! can anyone imagine a new, second edition? I'm pretty skeptical.
your very first post. welcome.

explain us in very detail please why you are so skeptical?

Oct 12, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #5,670 of 5,761
I think the 2nd generation will still be released, but it may take a while due to the global economy situation and Covid lingering on with it own protocols from each different countries. It also means that you shouldnt be expecting it for a low price either. Yamaha did just recently release a new integrated amplifier/Dac which has ess9038Pro in it. If new toy is what you are looking forward to, and cant wait

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/headphones/ha-l7a/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back