The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jul 4, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #5,131 of 5,761
According to the schematics , the PC port in the back is superior to the side port, and I have posted about this several times

The side port is using a cheap generic internal usb cables to route to the back in the while the back port is directly soldered onto the PCB board
The one advantage the side port has is that it will charge the dap if used with the cable that comes with the TA

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #5,132 of 5,761
The one advantage the side port has is that it will charge the dap if used with the cable that comes with the TA
Yes, it has a detection switches inside as well. Is it convenient ? Absolutely!! But is it the best sound performances ? Not technically…can you tell the differences ? Well…

Jul 4, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #5,133 of 5,761
Best sound is using the Sony dock and high quality USB cable (I'm using AQ Carbon) to the rear USB port.

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #5,134 of 5,761
is this connection between the walkman and taz better than just using it with the digital cable that gets directly connected to the side port of the taz?

What Whitgir said.

I haven't used the side port because the input in the back is the way to go.

Jul 5, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #5,135 of 5,761
Guess what arrived today?

@gLer Quick Q: when I do a chromecast from my DX300 whether it be Tidal or Apple Music, it only casts at PCM 44.1 kHz. Should I be expecting a higher resolution or is this right?

14213D89-4F5B-4C11-B925-A5DA1D0A08CF.jpeg
Apologies for the late reply, been away on vac and decided to disconnect from HF for the week. Can't say exactly why you're not getting 24/96, but if you CC a 24/96 track from your phone (via UAPP) it should appear as 24/96 on Taz.

As an aside, let us know what you think of SQ between CCA and BTA-30 please? Lossless optical vs lossy coax, both at 24/96 (or 16/44.1).

Jul 5, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #5,136 of 5,761
One of the things I noticed about the Tazzy is how it sounded with my Oracle pre update versus after the update. On the Oracle before i updated this amp they were almost unlistenable on the Tazzy - just too bloated and warm sounding with really poor technicalities. It was like the sound was one big blob.

After the update when I went back to the Oracle all of the above was fixed. Huge difference. The Oracle made a beautiful synergy with the Tazzy. So it seems like the update was really a necessity in this regard, although I'm not sure how much this issue is generalizable to other IEMs. Maybe others had a similar experience. i was very happy with this change as this kind of completed the Tazzy for me in terms of my use cases.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #5,137 of 5,761
Apologies for the late reply, been away on vac and decided to disconnect from HF for the week. Can't say exactly why you're not getting 24/96, but if you CC a 24/96 track from your phone (via UAPP) it should appear as 24/96 on Taz.

As an aside, let us know what you think of SQ between CCA and BTA-30 please? Lossless optical vs lossy coax, both at 24/96 (or 16/44.1).
No worries at all! Ah… I see you are using UAPP. I was just using the Tidal app.

I use the BTA30Pro on the setting on priority on SQ and elect to have it stream at 24/96. It sounds none the worse than via CCA. The advantage or convenience is that I can then play all the streaming services including QQ Music, Apple Music. KKBox interestingly will show the exact 24/48 bit rate for the HR category of songs on the CCA. No dumbing down like for Tidal.

Today, I got my hands on the iFi Zen Stream. I am using it primarily for its Roon ready status. So, I have USB out of the the ZS into the TAZ. For QQ Music, I use Q Play. Well done but still has some bugs to iron out. But SQ is great. KKBox also works well for casting to the ZS.

So my TAZ is currently gone from no connection to now having wifi via the CCA, the ZS and BT via the BTA30Pro.

These couple of days I am running the TAZ as pre-amp out into the Mjolnir KGSSHV Carbon. Trying out a few pairs of 30 yo Stax earspeakers. :)

794E2139-0C4A-42BC-B979-2242B527887A.jpeg

Jul 12, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #5,139 of 5,761
If someone has previous versions of TA firmware, please PM me. I'm on v1.03 and would like to try previous ones. Thank you.
Uhm? I don't really understand. The Versions contained errors that have been fixed. Do you really want these errors back?

Jul 12, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #5,140 of 5,761
Are you for real?
Uhm? I don't really understand. The Versions contained errors that have been fixed. Do you really want these errors back?
Each version of the software has a distinctive sound. Such errors were almost nothing in contrast to the excitement in tone. Though if that darker tone is wanted, remains to be seen.

Literally those small fixes were nothing?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #5,141 of 5,761
Literally those small fixes were nothing?

• ‘Corrects a condition where the headphones are misidentified as a 24bit/384kHz source when playing 32bit/384kHz content from a Walkman® player’
pretty inconsequential for v 1.0,3. Like all driver and firmware updates the changes are documented

Jul 15, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #5,145 of 5,761
Keep your eye out on Amazon marketplace. Great savings when they come up, full Sony warranty as new. Win win
Yup. I picked up one with a discount on the Sony online store in late May.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back