The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Aug 14, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #4,441 of 5,761

G'day nc8000,

Looks like you've done what I'm considering to do: go wireless.

Would I be correct in thinking that your Auralic is used to stream from your music platform of choice? I've been looking at the Yamaha WXC-50 instead of the Auralic. Have you simply connected it via TOS/COAX to your TA?

I'm currently streaming Deezer via a first gen iPad Air to the TA's rear USB input.

Thank you!

M.

Aug 14, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #4,442 of 5,761
G'day nc8000,

Looks like you've done what I'm considering to do: go wireless.

Would I be correct in thinking that your Auralic is used to stream from your music platform of choice? I've been looking at the Yamaha WXC-50 instead of the Auralic. Have you simply connected it via TOS/COAX to your TA?

I'm currently streaming Deezer via a first gen iPad Air to the TA's rear USB input.

Thank you!

M.
My Auralic has a build in 4 TB ssd that holds all my music plus a native full mqa enabled Tidal client all controlled by a really good app on my iPhone. It can also access various off board storage locations though I’ve never tried it, I bought it specifically because it can have on board storage. It is connected to the TA via a short usb cable a friend of mine has build. The optical in on the TA comes from the bed room tv

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #4,443 of 5,761
Close, but no cigar then! Thank you nc8000. Pretty well all of my collection has been archived. Just on physical a medium called MiniDisc.:smile_phones: While I admire what ATRAC managed to do, I don’t fancy converting what is mainly compressed audio to FLAC and using HDD storage. I guess the search continues!

Thanks for your reply. :beerchug:

M.

Aug 23, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #4,444 of 5,761
Has anyone ever come across anything about what filter the TA-ZH1ES is using for PCM? It sounds a bit like the linear slow roll off filter of the Sabre 9038 but not just quite as rolled off. Maybe the trademark sound is just due to the upsampling.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #4,445 of 5,761
Has anyone ever come across anything about what filter the TA-ZH1ES is using for PCM? It sounds a bit like the linear slow roll off filter of the Sabre 9038 but not just quite as rolled off. Maybe the trademark sound is just due to the upsampling.
I don’t think there is a filter as such. It is Sony’s own S-master and fpga design

Aug 23, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #4,446 of 5,761
I don’t think there is a filter as such. It is Sony’s own S-master and fpga design
I suppose the way they upsample eveything means the filter is not as crucial. I gather it is a linear filter but I have never seen measurements for the TA.

I am putting together a second system using a newer DAC and a Class A amp and trying to get a similar sound to the Sony. On an ES 9038PRO DAC the slow linear filter is closest, but it is slightly more rolled off than the TA. The fast linear Sabre filter is too bright/brittle.

Doing some comparisons and shootouts you can see how well Sony has tuned the sound. It really shines with lower bitrate media 16/44 and YouTube video etc.

I have a SMSL SU-9 and an older OG Burson Soloist and the sound is pretty impressive and stands as an interesting similar yet different system thean the Sony.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #4,448 of 5,761
Sep 10, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #4,451 of 5,761
I suppose the way they upsample eveything means the filter is not as crucial. I gather it is a linear filter but I have never seen measurements for the TA.

I am putting together a second system using a newer DAC and a Class A amp and trying to get a similar sound to the Sony. On an ES 9038PRO DAC the slow linear filter is closest, but it is slightly more rolled off than the TA. The fast linear Sabre filter is too bright/brittle.

Doing some comparisons and shootouts you can see how well Sony has tuned the sound. It really shines with lower bitrate media 16/44 and YouTube video etc.

I have a SMSL SU-9 and an older OG Burson Soloist and the sound is pretty impressive and stands as an interesting similar yet different system thean the Sony.
Agree. I use the Tazzy with DSD up scaling switched on and spend hours on YT discovering and enjoying music :)

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #4,452 of 5,761
Sep 22, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #4,453 of 5,761
So no news about a new signature series? I'm considering the tazzy for its myriad of outputs, but if they have something in the works it's probably better to wait a little.

Sep 22, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #4,454 of 5,761
So no news about a new signature series? I'm considering the tazzy for its myriad of outputs, but if they have something in the works it's probably better to wait a little.
Nothing has even been rumoured

Users who are viewing this thread

Back